Skip navigation
BobJ1858
Currently Being Moderated

Why won't LR 3 load all the images in a cataloged file?

Apr 13, 2012 7:47 PM

Tags: #library #lr3 #3.6 #lightroom3.6

When I try to open a folder or collection of images (in Library, grid view), some of the images load right away, others take several seconds, and some never load. Instead I see gray boxes, albeit with the proper DSC number in the upper right corner of each. I'm using LR 3.6 on Windows 7.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 12:06 AM   in reply to BobJ1858

LR obviously does not have previews built for the non-loading pictures.

So I would start to have LR build them: first ensure that the standard size for previews meets your liking in the catalog.file handling settings.

Then select images in Library and use menu Library>Previews>render standard previews.

LR will scan the previews it already has for the selected bunch and create the missing ones.

It may not work for your total catalog in one go, so maybe trigger this for per folder or collection.

If LR cannot render previews for some reason, it will tell you so in a short protocol note at the end. But then you have something technical to investigate from there.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to BobJ1858

Hi Bob,

The question is: where are your previews stored?

Normally, without applying some hack, they are next to the catalog.

On my windows7-system that is by default in

C:\Users\[your username]\Pictures\Lightroom, a folder named "[your LR4-Catalog name] Previews.lrdata".

So the previews should always be online.

It may be that LR4 was not complete in building the previews when you closed it last time ?

Otherwise I share your puzzlement. So I would render all standard previews for your entire catalog and then expect that it should not happen again...

Becaues that is the beauty of a complete set of previews: I can do all sort of LR-work apart from Develop while the images themselves are offline - something I would never want to miss!

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points