Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PPI for graphics vs. photos

Apr 14, 2012 8:55 AM

I am aware that I need a mimimum of 300 ppi for photos to produce a nice looking print publication. But what about graphics? Does the same PPI apply or do I just look at the image on screen or print a sample and see how it looks?

I ask because it's a lot easier to get away with lower res graphics, even 72 ppi, in Pr Pro than in ID.

Thanks for your guidance.

Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 9:38 AM   in reply to Paul Stark

What do you mean by "graphics"? What's the file format? Vector graphics don't have a resolution, but if you are talking about rasterized charts or the like, you actually want higher resolution than for photos.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Paul Stark

Color, black only, grayscale? What sorts of things are these?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Paul Stark

Is the type part of the image, or added in ID?

From my perspective, the only thing in that capture that should even be possibly a raster image is the circular grouping in the bottom center, and even that could probably be done as vector. If the type and hard edges are part of an image, you'll want at least 600 ppi, in my opinion, to avoid the jaggies for anything not true horizontal or vertical.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to Paul Stark

I would make those in Illustrator or ID, myself. Are those supposed to be functional buttons?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 12:36 PM   in reply to Paul Stark

Press output, or digital? For digital you can get by with less resolution, but 72 ppi is really pushing your luck. And there's likely to be a dramatic differnce in the appearance of the images vs. the native ID vector objects.

Have you pulled a sample print on your own printer?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to Paul Stark

In general, upsampling in Photoshop is an exercise in futility. You're just making up pixels out of nothing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to Paul Stark

Borderless page sizes are generally selected in the print driver (click the setup button in ID's print dialog and ignore the warning) and the page size inthe print dialog is then set to Defined by Driver.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points