Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Any way to change where LR stores Temp App Data, or getting it to clean up after itself?

Apr 14, 2012 4:06 AM

Hi there-

I currently have LR installed on an SSD, along with my OS. Like many SSDs, its not as large as its HDD counterparts, and on mine I generally only have 5-10gb free.

When I use LR to export pictures, it seems to store the pictures in Users/user/App Data/Local/Temp. But even after they are uploaded, it keeps them there. So if I am uploading a lot of photos, eventually my drive will fill up and LR will stop exporting and give me an error message. I even tried to exit and restart LR, but the photos remained, and I had to delete them manually.

Is there any way to have LR but those temp files somewhere else, like on one of my HDDs where I have more space? Or get it to delete those temp files when it is done using them, which I suspect would be after it had uploaded them.

Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to Thronsen

I don't think export stores them anywhere but where you are exporting to.  I export constantly and have never noticed my SSD filling up.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to Thronsen

Items should only get stored in that directory if, for some reason, your export aborts prematurely as you are seeing.

I am guessing the problem is the amount of free space on your SSD drive. 5-10GB is a very small space. Lightroom can be finicky about remaining space. Until all those files are saved as finished product, the rendered in-process files occupy temp space.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to Thronsen

I routinely send out images in groups of 50-300 and never see this. The only time Lightroom leaves a file in the Temp directory is if something bad happens and an abort occurs.  Your speed and efficiency is likely related to your lack of free space on your OS drive. When space gets tight, competing for resources grinds you to a halt.  Do you have your ACR Cache located on your SSD also? That is movable to another location and might free up some space.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to Thronsen

I am seeing the same thing. Exporting a single image and a low res jpeg is dropped in this directory, happens on a successful export of a single image. It is a small file averaging 16k but that can add up over time.

By the way, lots of other applications seem to use this directory for dumping all sorts of stuff from imstalls etc.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to Thronsen

Wow! With LR not open, I find over 6GB of data in over 300 folders in that Temp folder on my Win 7 system!  Only some have names that indicate they are LR files.  Many folders have cryptic names (groups of numbers/letters separated by dashes.  Many of those are empty.  Some folder names indicate they are Flash or Acrobat related.

Thanks for your post, without which I would not have looked.

Is it safe to just delete all the files and folders within that Temp folder??

Jerry

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to JerryGerber

JerryGerber wrote:

Jerry

Yes, I clear %temp% on each shut-down of my system.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:43 AM   in reply to MikeKPhoto

If %temp% is used by LR or not depends on the operations you perform and the available memory to LR.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
  • John Blaustein
    524 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 14, 2012 8:12 AM   in reply to b_gossweiler

Hi Beat,

How do you do that on Windows 7 Home Premium?  Where is the %temp% folder, and do you have an automatic way to clear it?

Thanks!

John

b_gossweiler wrote:

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to John Blaustein

John,

When you enter %temp% into the search box of the start menu, an explorer window will open showing the temp folder of your system (by default "C:\Users\youruser\AppData\Local\Temp").

No, I don't have an automatic way to clear it because I want to have control over it, but you could run a script at shutdown containing a script with the following commands:

cd C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local
    rmdir /S /Q Temp

See here on how to execute a script at shutdown.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to Thronsen

Thronsen wrote:

When I have done 5 or 20 photos, I havent noticed it either, though I never looked. But I was uploading 300, it would get up to around 50 and LR would tell me my C drive was full. And sure enough, there they all were, in the location I posted above.

The first time it happened, I exited LR, manually deleted the files, then started LR and it worked fine (at least until it got to 50 or so photos again).

The second time it happened and I deleted them while LR was running, then tried to continue. LR gave me another error message, saying it was missing files and giving me the same location. So its definitely doing it.

I recently did an 8,000 image export with no such issues.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Blaustein
    524 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 14, 2012 9:50 AM   in reply to b_gossweiler

Thank you, Beat!

The contents of my temp folder take up very little space, so I see no reason to clear it.  I'll check from time to time and see if that changes.

John

b_gossweiler wrote:

JerryGerber wrote:

Jerry

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

Lee Jay wrote:

I recently did an 8,000 image export with no such issues.

LR's use of %temp% depends on what you are doing in LR and how much memory LR has left to use (and therefore also bugs in LR related to not freeing memory).

Example:

Go to the import dialog, selecting a folder with many Raw images. Switch to Loupe view (still within Import) and scroll through the Raws using the arrow keys. After about 25 images LR will start to build a file called cr_sdk_nnnnnnnn.tmp in your %temp% directory, which can reach many GB after a while.

I've also seen *.tmp files being built during export, especially when using the "Limit File Size" option.

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to Thronsen

Not sure if this has been answered before:

• Please indicate your system specs
    • What version of LR
    • Please provide a screen shot of your export dialog
    • What kind of originals are you exporting (format, camera, size)

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:28 PM   in reply to Thronsen

Do you also have the problem when doing a "normal" export?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 10:24 PM   in reply to Thronsen

When you mean export to SmugMug, you should say publish to SmugMug. That's

why everybody is confused here.

Regarding your problem, you probably have only two options:

1. Buy a bigger SSD.

2. Change your Temp folder location. Google for instructions.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 4:56 AM   in reply to Thronsen

Thronsen wrote:

In fact, far more quickly then the amount of photos that had been uploaded. These pictures were around 2mb in their original state. By the time LR had uploaded 5 of them, LR had taken close to 4 GB worth of space on my C drive Temp file.

Now a question might be, is this a problem with LR uploading in general, or something specific to the Smugmug plugin?

OK, I was able to reproduce what you're seeing using Flickr (before I thought you were Exporting, vs. Publishing). This is what's happening:

Before LR starts uploading images to SmugMug, it renders all selected images into directory %TMP%, then it starts uploading and deletes each JPEG when successfully uploaded. To me, this seems like designed behaviour.

As Dorin mentioned, you have 2 options:

• Make sure you have as much free space on your system drive as needed for rendered copies of all the images you want to upload in one publish action
    • Move the %TMP% directory to a drive with more space, see here for instructions. (LR is using the USER variable TMP, not TEMP, so you need to change TMP).

Beat

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to b_gossweiler

b_gossweiler wrote:

JerryGerber wrote:

Jerry

Beat

Thanks Beat.

I was surprised that %Temp% was the same as C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp. I am unfamiliar with the use of the "%" sign before and after a folder name and don't know what that does. 

Does anyone know a reference where I can read up on that?

In any case, it is an easy way to access that Temp folder, and I now delete everything that I can from Temp on closing, (FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt is always "in use by Explorer" and will not delete.)

I noticed that immediately following boot up (before opening LR4.1) , that Temp folder acquires an empty folder, WPDNSE, and four files:  AdobeArm.log, FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt, logger.log, and LuUpdater.log.  Combined these occupy only a couple of MB, so are not the magnitude of  problem this thread is about.  But by the end of any session, that folder has 5-6 GB of stuff, which I am now deleting. 

Several weeks ago MS Essentials found a JAVA exploit on my computer, which (it said) was removed, but I remain a bit nervous.

Does anyone see anything suspicious in that bunch?

My LR 4.1 is working pretty well right now, except for occasional 10-second delays opening the Develop module. But, it is the best Adobe has right now, and it is only a "release candidate." I will live with it until something better comes along.

My system includes LR 4.1 and 3.6, running in Win 7 on an I7 with 8GB RAM.

This has been an extremely informative and helpful thread.  Thanks so much to all contributors. 

Jerry      

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 5:20 PM   in reply to JerryGerber

Jerry,

JerryGerber wrote:

I was surprised that %Temp% was the same as C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Temp. I am unfamiliar with the use of the "%" sign before and after a folder name and don't know what that does. 

Does anyone know a reference where I can read up on that?

See section "Using environment variables with Cmd.exe" in this Windows TechNet Article. The article is for WinXP, but the same applies to Win7.

In any case, it is an easy way to access that Temp folder, and I now delete everything that I can from Temp on closing, (FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt is always "in use by Explorer" and will not delete.)

I noticed that immediately following boot up (before opening LR4.1) , that Temp folder acquires an empty folder, WPDNSE, and four files:  AdobeArm.log, FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt, logger.log, and LuUpdater.log.  Combined these occupy only a couple of MB, so are not the magnitude of  problem this thread is about.  But by the end of any session, that folder has 5-6 GB of stuff, which I am now deleting. 

Several weeks ago MS Essentials found a JAVA exploit on my computer, which (it said) was removed, but I remain a bit nervous.

Does anyone see anything suspicious in that bunch?

• WPDNSE is created by Windows Media Player -> nothing to worry about
    • AdobeArm.log is a log file of the Adobe Reader Manager, the software checking for updates of Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat and related software -> nothing to worry about
    • FXSAPIDebugLogFile.txt is a log file of Windows Fax and Scan -> nothing to worry about
    • logger.log: don't know
    • LuUpdater.log is created by Logitech Updater -> nothing to worry about

In general, you shouldn't worry too much about what's stored in %temp%, since many applications use it to write information they need to keep temporarily.

Beat

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points