• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with Import in Lightroom4

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using lightroom 4 on a 2008 Mac Pro running the latest verison of MAC OSX.

My lightroom 3 catalog wasa upgraded successfully with no issues

Now when i try to import photos from my Canon 5D camera (The original 5D) it keeps saying that there are no files to import.

I tried unchecking the Dont Import Suspected duplicates and still it did not help.

I formatted my complete CF card in camera, took a couple of new pictures and still the same issue.

When this happens after i say ok, the option to import is greayed out completely and I have to restart Lightroom for it to work again or try the import again.

I also have a secondary problem - When i connect my camera LR3 used to prompt me to import the photos automatically. LR4 is not doing it.

I went to image capture and made LR4 the default app to open when i connect the camera and LR4 opens promptly, but doesnt bring up the import screen.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

This issue has been fixed in Lightroom 4.1, which is now available.  To download the 4.1 update, go to the Help menu in Lightroom and choose "Check for Updates".

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto for me. I'm using a Canon S95 and I'm getting the EXACT same behaviour.

EDIT:

I am able to import using a card reader now (thanks to the forum member in another thread that suggested this...)

I was able to import in Lightroom 3 no problem. This is not a welcome regression...

Message was edited by: _n_sonic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is a similar one.

Import with LR4 is a bit like Russian rullette.

Attaching my Nikon D700 will sometimes import both RAW and JPG at other times JPG only.

Attaching my Fujicolor X10 will generally only import the JPGs. If the RAW is shown in the LR import module and I select accordingly I also get the "no files to import'. If that happens the  import options are grayed out and LR has to be re started.

However, if I remove the SD card from the X10 and insert it directly into my iMac it usually works as it should.

More often the not I import using LR v3. But even then I have annomalies. Using the LR4 import module pointing at the hard drive does not always work. If I drag from LR3 to LR4 it mostly does.

Adobe needs to sort this urgently cos its very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unable to import my photos to a Mac from my Nikon D700 since loading Lightroom 4. The import screen shows the photos are there, checked. "move" and "add" are both blacked out. When I click on import I get the message, "no photos or videos were found to import". I never had this problem with Lightroom 3. I have phoned Adobe twice and have been on the phone for over an hour each time but they are unable to fix it so far and claim nobody else has reported this problem . I've waited for twenty minutes today but nobody answering and have emailed them several times.

I am, however, able to copy the photos into Lightroom 4 using a card reader, though "move" and 'add" are still blacked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I am unable to import my photos when I connect my D700 and use Lightroom v4. I have tried multiple times and the same errror message "No photos or videos were found to import" is displayed.  My workaround turned out to be, leave the camera connected, quit Lightroom 4, launch Lightroom v3 and import the photos with one click on the Import button.  I did not change any settings, options, or preferences. Just quit v4, launch v3 and import.

I have a Macmini 2.66 Ghz Intell Core 2 Duo

OSX 10.7.3

8 GB memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 02, 2012 Apr 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add:

I was phoned by someone from Adobe Customer Service and we were on the phone for almost two hours. We never got the import to work and he said he would raise the topic to the next level. This was about a week ago. In the meantime I am at least able to import via a card reader and I'm hopeful Adobe will work out a fix eventually, especially now that they see there are several customers having the same problems. The more reports they receive, the sooner the fix will happen, I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2012 Mar 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Import from my Nex 5 works fine but when I try to import the same pictures from my iPad (3rd generation) I get the previews in the import screen but import fails with "No photos or videos were found to import".

Every time this message appears I have to restart lightroom before I can start another import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem when trying to import to LR4 from Canon 5DMkII on my iMac10,1  Intel Core 2 Duo

I have to use LR3 to import to hard drive then reimport to LR4 from harddrive.

An additional problem are occasional missing thumbnails in import dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a bug report here: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom_4_import_pictures_from_ipad

Maybe you could add your experiences there to bring this issue to Adobes attention.

I already checked 4.1 RC and the issue is still present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me.. Canon Eos 5D MKII with latest firmware.. Import works fine in LR3 but most of the times not in LR4.

I'n not sure if it matters but this is my setup:

* Macbook Pro, 4Gb, 2.26 Ghz

* OSX 10.7.3

* Import the pictures to a NAS disk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

If you change your camera's USB connection mode, does that make a difference?  For example, on the Canon 5D specifically, there are two connection modes "PC Connect" and "Print/PTP".  My guess is that your's is set to "PC Connect" and that if you change it to "Print/PTP" it will work.  The other cameras mentioned in this thread may also have equivalent settings.  Let me know your results.

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should I change? I can import photos into Lightroom v3 without any modifications to any settings. I can import my photos into three other apps without having to change the USB connection. I expect the same to happen with Lightroom v4. This is an unacceptable answer!

Gary Walo, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C

nenonen@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gary,

I don't deny that it's a problem.  I have reproduced the issue in-house and written it up in our bug database, an engineer is looking at it, and I expect that we'll be providing a fix at some point.  If you'd like to wait for that fix, by all means, do so.  I thought, however, that some people on this thread might appreciate knowing that you could possibly solve the problem for yourself right now by spending five seconds to change one small setting on your camera.  If you do make this change, please let us know if it works or not, as that will be a valuable data point for us while we attempt to fix the issue.

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin,

Thanks for looking into the problem and confirming it is a bug. I cant seem to find the setting you refer to on my Canon 5D Mark III camera. Any clue where it might be located?

As to the 5D i tried changing it and it gave an error message" Error trying to connect tot he camera, check you r connections".

I disconnected the camera (removed the usb cable), closed the import window, changed the setting to PC connection, put the USB wire back in, clicked on import and it imported the images fine.

I then tried to check if that fixed it permanently. I closed LR4, removed the camera wire, took another picture, opened LR4, connected the camera and tried import and it gave teh same error as first reported.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Nikon D700 which only has a PC Connect option. I am unable to find a Print/PTP function or option.

Gary Walo, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP BD+C

nenonen@comcast.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2012 Apr 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

I can't change the connection method on my iPad. The only workaround for me is a direct import from the camera. I hope you can provide a fix for this issue soon as the iPad is part of my workflow.

Thanks,

Jens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people can't change their conneciton method. This solution is ridicilous.  One thing I've noticed that I should mention again is for me one SD card imports without issues while I only seem to get these errors with my other SD card. The Panasonic imports fine but the Lexar imports only certain types of files and only after serveral attempts. I still think this is mainly a LR issue because other programs import the Lexar without issues.

It might be worth trying out different cards and see if you guys are still have the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2012 Apr 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same error message with my D90.  This happened ever since I've used a different memory card, so that might be part of the problem. I know the card is good and the previews show up. After about 5 tries of closing both Lightroom and shutting down the camera it half-worked. It imported my Raw files but not my Jpegs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I have told Adobe several times that I can't import from a Nikon D700, I received an email today suggesting I change my Canon's USB settings!

I am very surprised and disappointed with Adobe's customer service!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too was told to change my Canon settings when I specifically stated I have a Nikon D700. It appears they have lost their focus on other customers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Customer Service phoned me today, left a message saying to phone them back. I phoned back, got put on hold for 5 minutes. Gave my case number to s

omeone then got disconnected. I phoned back, put on hold for 5 minutes, spoke to someone else who put me on hold to read the case no

tes then told me she did not know why anyone phoned me today and I would have to be put on hold again--after already on the phone--

at my expense-- for 13 minutes--for her to find out why Adobe phoned me today. Got disconnected again.

No idea why they phoned me. This is a shambles!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

First, I apologize for the troubles folks have been having with customer service.  To be clear, this is a bug, and we're working on fixing it.  Since it's a bug, the best that customer service will be able to do is offer you a workaround.  Two known workarounds are:

1.  Copy the photos from the camera to your hard drive, and then import from the hard drive.

2.  Import using a card reader, rather than connecting the camera directly.

These are methods that you can use until we have provided an actual fix for the issue.

Second, I had suggested that changing your camera's connection method (assuming your camera offers such an option) might make a difference.  But in fact, I think I was wrong about that, and it won't make any difference either way.  If anyone on this thread is willing to do a little testing for me, however, I do have something else I'd like you to try.

In my tests, the import from the camera only failed if the camera had been set to shoot raw+jpeg.  So, try the following:

1.  Format the memory card in the camera (after having copied the pictures off of it, of course).

2.  Set your camera to shoot only raw (NOT raw+jpeg).

3.  Take one photo.

4.  Connect the camera to your computer, and attempt to import into Lightroom from the camera.

Does it work?  If it does, then try switching it back:

1.  Format the memory card in your camera (after having copied the pictures off of it).

2.  Set your camera to shoot raw+jpeg.

3.  Take one photo.

4.  Connect the camera to your computer and attempt to import into Lightroom from the camera.

Does it fail again?  If so, then your findings will corroborate my findings, and that will be very helpful for us in tracking down this issue.

Lastly, for folks who are experiencing problems importing from a connected iPad, I would caution you that it is entirely possible that that is a completely separate problem, and it might be a good idea to start a separate thread for that issue.

Thanks,

Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin I did your test with my Nikon D90 using my Lexar card and my findings were the same as yours.

Part 1 works. Raw image was imported.

Part 2 failed. Raw image was imported, but Jpeg image was not imported.

I also tried video (.avi) which was imported.

Glad its not my 16gb card thats the problem afterall it seems.

Message was edited by: Keisersozze

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keisersozze,

Thanks for the confirmation, that's very helpful!  So, we are actively working on fixing this problem, and I'll update this thread as I get more info.  In the meantime, have Kobayashi buy you a card reader.

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines