Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Creating a Magnifying Glass graphic

Apr 14, 2012 11:58 AM

Hello Everyone,

Anyone know how I could create a magnifying glass graphic using Adobe Photoshop?

I did do a search but it mostly came up with instructions or info on how to create one that'll also actually have a "magnifying" or "glassy" look to it.

While just I want to create a simple one, just containing a circle and an handle attached to it.

Kinda like the following:

http://www.iconfinder.com/icondetails/42437/32/alt_glass_magnifying_ic on

And in case you're wondering why I don't use the above, I'd like to create one with my own colors.

I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to dansbanners
    1. Select the Custom Shape tool (or Press Shift + U until the Shape tool on the tool bar becomes a star)
    2. In the Options bar under the main menu, click the Shape Layer option (the first button next to the star)
    3. From the Shape menu on the Options bar select the magnifying glass, hold Shift and drag from the center of the canvas to make a magnifying grass with the desired size. It will appear with your foreground color.

to change to different color, change your foreground color and press Alt + Delete.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 2:09 AM   in reply to emil emil

So this symbol is supposed to be a star?  I always thought of it as a running Gummy Bear that melted in the sun...

star.JPG

To dansbanners regarding the steps detailed by emil emil:  If the magnifying glass shape is not available in your palette of shapes, you can load additional shapes from the flyout menu by clicking on the tiny arrow at the top right of the shapes palette.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 4:56 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

So this symbol is supposed to be a star?  I always thought of it as a running Gummy Bear that melted in the sun...

star.JPG

What is usually in your mind affects how you see things. You should cut down on junk food

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to dansbanners

You could also combine a couple Rectangular and Elliptical Paths in a Vector Mask on a Solid Color Layer and set them to Add or Intersect as needed.

magnifyingGlassScr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to emil emil

emil emil wrote:

What is usually in your mind affects how you see things. You should cut down on junk food

How true!!!

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 15, 2012 1:15 PM   in reply to dansbanners

The advice given above is great, but I'd like to toss out another idea:  Search the web for stuff like:

magnifying glass Photoshop file

You turn up some very nice free PSD file downloads that you can open and see how the designers did their stuff.  The first match with the above search in Google nets you a very nice example from psdgraphics.com.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,907 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 15, 2012 2:46 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

The advice given above is great, but I'd like to toss out another idea:  Search the web for stuff like:

magnifying glass Photoshop file

You turn up some very nice free PSD file downloads that you can open and see how the designers did their stuff.  The first match with the above search in Google nets you a very nice example from psdgraphics.com.

-Noel

I'll second that. It always amazes me what you can find if you look. There must be a brush set for every contingency, for instance, and almost as many Shapes. I bet there is even a font out there that incudes a magnifying glass!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,907 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 15, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)