Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

New Installation: Pr 5.5.2 and En 5.1 Both Fail

Apr 10, 2012 3:49 PM

I have just completed a hardware and software upgrade from a 32-bit XP system with 3GB of addressable memory, Premiere Pro CS3, and Matrox RT.X2 to a 64-bit Windows 7 system with 24GB of addressable memory and Premiere Pro CS5.5.2. None of the drives except the C have been changed. I have installed the Windows and Adobe updates and scanned for missing drivers. The Win7 Device Manager shows all devices and drivers are working normally. This is a new installation of Windows 7 and Premiere Pro CS5.5. The only other software on this system is the ASUS AI Suite II 1.01.40 and NVIDIA 3D Vision. The former is a utility for overclocking, but the system is not overclocked. The system does use GPU acceleration (Geforce 570).

Problem #1: CS5.5.2 loads and smoothly opens a CS3 project. The CS3 project runs flawlessly in CS5.5.2, which has created a new project file without altering the file created with CS3. I save the new project and exit Premiere. Next I restart Premiere and try to open the file it just created, but Premiere hangs during opening and returns a message "Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 has stopped working." The choices are: "Check online for a solution and close the program," or "Close the program." Problem details available are:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Adobe Premiere Pro.exe

Application Version: 5.5.2.0

Application Timestamp: 4e960e56

Fault Module Name: Backend.dll

Fault Module Version: 5.5.2.0

Exception Code: c00000fd

Exception Offset: 0000000000237fel

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 9b84

Additional Information 2: 9b84a2ba8190bd4209a3dfe64aee6574

Additional Information 3: 1ad7

Additional Information 4: 1ad7f469adef96269a5aa4c854ebe644

If I select "Check online for a solution and close the program," it searches for a solution for a few seconds then quits. Although Premiere CS5.5.2 does not open the file it created, it continues to open the original CS3 file. The original CS3 file is larger than the new CS5.5 file, which might account for why it will not open.

Problem #2: I start Encore CS5.1 (included with Premiere Pro CS5.5) and open an existing Encore file created with CS3. I click the DVD "Build" button. The "Check Project" requester opens offering the choices "View" or "Ignore and Continue." The "View" button is highlighted. I click the "Ignore and Continue" button. Nothing happens. I click the "View" button. Nothing happens. I hit the Enter" key and the "Check Project" window opens showing that the "Title Remote" and "End Action" are not set. No menus are involved, so I close the "Check Project" window by clicking the "X" (close) button. I click the "Build" button again. Again the "Check Project" requester opens. Unable to proceed with the build because, as before, the "Ignore and Continue" button does not respond to mouse input, this time I close the requester by clicking the "X." Unexpectedly a "Build Progress" window now opens displaying the progress bars "Starting Project," "Ordering Files for Movie," and then "Validating Media." A "Warning" screen appears stating "This disc is not blank. Are you sure you want to erase everything on it?" I'm attempting ot overwrite a DVD-RW with existing data, so I click "Yes." "Build Progress" shows bars for "Writing Files" then "Ejecting disc," the drive opens, and a screen appears with message: "Encore was unable to complete the operation because of a hardware error (Sense Code 53006). Please contact the hardware manufacturer for more information." A highlighted "OK' button does not accept mouse input, but does accept input from the "Enter" key. The "Build Progress" window then shows two fully filled-in progress bars, one labeled "Writing files. Failed Completed," and the other "Writing DVD disc. Completed." Clicking the "OK" button closes the "Build Progress" window. Clicking the "X" in Encore exits the program. No data are written to the disc.

Note that some mouse clicks work with some window/requester buttons and not with others. There does not seem to be an obvious pattern to that. Windows Device Manager does not find any issues with the hardware.

Any thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 10, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to Chet Hedden

Note that some mouse clicks work with some window/requester buttons and not with others. There does not seem to be an obvious pattern to that. Windows Device Manager does not find any issues with the hardware.

In Encore, this kind of behavior has been caused by video drivers; also by using enlarged icons.

I suggest not starting with old Encore projects. Do a new test project, including a simple menu from the library. While Encore has not changed some of its basics, there are a few quirks that can cause problems.

But because you have so many problems, I'd contact support and ask for install assistance.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Chet Hedden

Crop 14 pixels from the top and 12 from the bottom to get a full screen DVD without any borders. It is caused by the PAR adjustment for widescreen between CS3 and CS5.x.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 11:23 AM   in reply to Chet Hedden

14-4-2012 20-21-29.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Do you have scale to fit selected on the export tab?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points