Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrade PE6 to PE10 - can't find my custom location catalog

Apr 11, 2012 6:12 PM

Tags: #catalog #organizer #upgrade #pse10 #pse6 #pe10 #trial_version #window_7 #pe6

I would like to upgrade my PE6 installation to PE10.  I have a Windows 7 machine.  I downloaded the trial version of PE10 to check it out.  However, this trial PE10 can't find my custom location catalog with all my pics!  When I click on Find --> Catalog, and choose Custom Location, then Browse to where my catalog is, there are no choices displayed for me to choose.  I tried the Convert button - no help.

I thought about moving my catalog into the default Windows 7 location to see if that made a difference, but it appears that if I do Move Catalog the darn thing moves not only my catalog but also my 50 GB of image files.  I'd rather not do that - I don't want the image files moved.

Does anyone know why I can't connect to my custom location catalog?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 8:44 PM   in reply to BillCz

Hi Bill,

What is the fully qualified path to your catalog?

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to BillCz

OK, when you use the "Convert" button, you'll navigate to the

E:\images

directory.  It's confusing, but that browsing dialog will not display any files, etc. to choose.  You just have to go in to the directory, then click "Open" to get back to the convert dialog window.  That window will be showing the "catalog.psedb" file found in the directory to select for conversion.

As a side note, you're going to suffer performance issues by having the catalog on an external drive.  It's better to have the catalog on an internal drive (you can certainly keep the actual photos on the external drive).

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to BillCz

Hi Bill,

I don't know what else to suggest for converting the catalog.  Actually, I do have a suggestion -- when I tested this, I was copying my entire catalog directory, so my Test01 catalog was in a "Test01" directory.  You can try changing your directory structure so that the name of the directory containing the catalog files matches the name of the catalog itself.  I freely admit that I don't understand how the Organizer tracks catalog names, but it's worth a shot....

According to the Help, using Catalog Manager to move the catalog only moves the catalog files; and when I used that feature several months ago, only the catalog files were moved.

Before you do any work, I have a funny feeling about your catalog and image files.  Please tell me that your "E:\Images" directory only contains the appropriate catalog files and not the image files, too.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 4:17 PM   in reply to BillCz

Hi Bill,

BillCz wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by the name of the catalog.  The psedb file is "catalog.psedb".  So is "catalog" the name of the catalog?

The catalog "name" is how Organizer refers to the catalog in its display -- "My Catalog", for example.

BillCz wrote:

Are you sure the conversion operation is necessary?  Seems to me I read somewhere that conversion was needed for pre-PE6 only.

Any time you use a later version of PSE to open a catalog created by an older version of PSE, the database needs to be updated to include new tables, columns, etc.

BillCz wrote:

Regarding what gets moved...

Yes, you're absolutely right about what will be moved in your case.  I suspect that when the Organizer's "Move Catalog" function is used, it does a straight file system cut & copy of the entire catalog directory (including all subdirectories).  So, in my case, since my catalog directory only includes the catalog files, none of my images were moved.

BillCz wrote:

And my bet is it won't solve my problem of getting PE10 to see the catalog.

I agree.  I think the main thing we should concentrate on is getting PSE10 to see (and update) your catalog.  As long as PSE6 is working just fine, we ought to leave well enough alone with the file locations, and leave the catalog location performance considerations for later.

BillCz wrote:

I wish I could get a clearer understanding of how all this file and catalog management works.  Frustratingly, however, the official documentation that I've seen is all high level and not very helpful.  And you have to pay for technical support.

I couldn't agree more.  It's all well and good for PSE to simplify matters for users who accept all the defaults and are not doing anything remotely complicated, but if doing so prevents adjusting the app's behaviour to accommodate unique user scenarios, then that's a Bad Thing.

Back to the problem of getting PSE10 to recognize and update your catalog, here's where I'm coming from:  when I tested converting an old catalog, the setup on the file system was plain vanilla -- the catalog name is "My Catalog" and the directory is

...\My Catalog

and the contents are:

syncdb (folder)

backupCt.dat

catalog.pse9db

collstatus.dat

face.thumb.9.cache

tagstatus.dat

thumb.5.cache

watch.2.cache

So, all I can think of is to get your catalog directoy into a file system structure that matches (what I assume) is PSE's expectation.  IOW, if the name of your catalog in PSE6 is "My Catalog", use Windows Explorer to create a

directory named:

C:\Data\My Catalog

and copy only the catalog files (and not the image files) into that directory.  Use PSE6 to confirm it can use that new catalog location, and then see if PSE10 will recognize that new catalog location for conversion and use.

Yep, that goes against what I said earlier about catalog locations, but if this works, it'll kill two birds with one stone....

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to BillCz

Glad you're up and running!

Good catch finding the previously converted option.  It doesn't make sense, but if it works....

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points