Skip navigation

CS5.5 Gripes/CS6 Wish List (from the perspective of an FCP switcher)

Jan 11, 2012 3:51 PM

Latest reply: ACT.onn, Sep 28, 2012 10:05 PM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 12:20 AM   in reply to Dax Roggio

Been following this thread since it started, some very valid pionts were made. I was also waiting for Adobe to give some idea of what they were giong to give as features in

CS6 http://success.adobe.com/en/na/programs/events/1203_16108_nab.html and after reading abit of the PDF on PProcs6 ( http://success.adobe.com/assets/en/downloads/guides/Pr_CS6_WN_Reveal.p df ) Adobe have add some really nice and neat goodies and even it seem support for ATI. It seems Adobe is listening to the users   As they say Rome was not biulded in a day IMHO I can only see good things ahead for PPro CS range. 

As for FCPX it's a prosumer product,  it is lanking in many area's and has a hell of a long way to go to catchup.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 1:35 PM   in reply to Anthony Abegglen

Here are details of what's new and changed in Premiere Pro CS6: http://adobe.ly/HDKYpx

From that page, I link to this free 2-hour series that I created about all of the new and changed features:

http://www.video2brain.com/en/products-321.htm

Note that many of the behaviors that people have mentioned being unhappy with are addressed in Premiere Pro CS6, especially better trimming, navigation, and other basic editing tasks (and especially with keyboard shortcuts).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 1:54 PM   in reply to Dax Roggio

In CS6, up/down arrows go to the previous/next edit point on the selected tracks.

Not happy about that one myself.  Yes, I know the old keyboard shortcuts are still there, but it should be left to the new folks coming in to adapt to the PP way (or to change the default behavior to their old way) and not the other way around.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

In CS6, up/down arrows go to the previous/next edit point on the selected tracks.

Not happy about that one myself.  Yes, I know the old keyboard shortcuts are still there, but it should be left to the new folks coming in to adapt to the PP way (or to change the default behavior to their old way) and not the other way around.

I felt that way too, Jim.  But then I thought that Mrs.Ford maybe had a better idea, so I changed the behavior in CS5.5 to match that new behavior.  Guess what?  I like it!  L/R arrows move me one frame either direction, and Up/Down arrows move me one clip either way.  My hand doesn't have to move from the arrow quadrant, and I can jump all around the timeline like nobody's business.  PgUp and PgDn now move me one full screen view at a time, left and right, in the Timeline Panel.  Logically, that makes sense to me.  It didn't take but a few minutes with the new shortcuts to change my mind.

I had my "how could you do this?" and "woe is me" whining all ready to go until I actually edited with those new shortcuts for a while.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 6:46 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Back when it was viable, FCP users had the option to use Premiere but chose a different NLE. They had a reason for doing this so I guess there was always going to be a level of pandering to the FCP userbase in the first release after FCP's demise. It may also have something to do with a lot of laptop keyboards lacking Page Up / Down keys nowadays.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 12:32 AM   in reply to Guy Job

Mac User?

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to Dax Roggio

There are more things I find missing from Premiere Pro every day that now have me understanding why it did not compete with FCP for so long. One thing that drives me nuts is I can not change the default font in titler. It takes the top font in the font folder and uses that. I pump out nearly 15 videos a day that require the same font type. I get excuses and work arounds that tie me up almost as long as having to type in the new font. Adobe EDITORS NEED TO BE ABLE TO CHAGE DEFAULT FONTS!

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 4:46 PM   in reply to redone5623

Agreed

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 5:18 PM   in reply to Dax Roggio

Also being able to name markers in the viewer and being able to turn markers into sub clips. Also being able to export marker list.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 5:58 PM   in reply to redone5623

And the ability to import markers too, which is a feature that was strangely omitted from FCP.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Pharther Phurther

What about creating a Style, with the Font, Font Size, and all Attributes, and setting that as the Default?

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 12:12 AM   in reply to redone5623

I think many of agree, that Adobe PPro has not got everything and may not be the same as FCPro, it has holes, somthings work better in FCP than in Adobe and vice a versa,  this goes for many other NLE packages on the market. What are your chioces?  There is a wish list somwhere on this forum, send what you feel needs to be changed, in the last 3 yrs Adobe has listened to the user base now even more, in the next version PProcs7? we will see, I think more FCP and Avid features. I am perpared to bear the irrations and work arounds if there is improvments and which there has been every time a new version comes or maybe you go back to what ? FCPro or FCPX.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 3:46 AM   in reply to redone5623

redone5623 wrote:

There are more things I find missing from Premiere Pro every day that now have me understanding why it did not compete with FCP for so long. One thing that drives me nuts is I can not change the default font in titler. It takes the top font in the font folder and uses that. I pump out nearly 15 videos a day that require the same font type. I get excuses and work arounds that tie me up almost as long as having to type in the new font. Adobe EDITORS NEED TO BE ABLE TO CHAGE DEFAULT FONTS!

In the titler, you can create a new style, and move it up to the top of the list. It's not going to make it the default font, but it's still pretty simple. Type your text, then click the style swatch.

Drop shadows, fill colors, gradient styles, strokes, tracking....all right there in the style swatch. Much more robust than simply selecting a default font for each project, and just requires a single click on the swatch for each new title.

You can also do a new title based on current....so if you've got a bunch of lower 3rd titles that need to have 5 or six elements remain, and 2 lines of text each with their own style, you can use the "New Based on Current" option (which I do all the time) or you can use your style swatches.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

or you would do the titels in AE or PS and import it into  , a default font is the a small thing to worrie about.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to Dax Roggio

Why is it that the drop-down lists in Premiere CS5.5 react to hovering+mousewheel only in one direction when the palette is not active ? yes, it reacts if you scroll inadvertently on a dropdown list (like, when you wanted to scroll the palette) but if you want to change it back to what it was, you either have to click and choose, or make the palette active (?!) then you can mousewheel it back to the previous state.

The eyedropper simply doesn't work. I've tried it on both CS5 and CS5.5 and it doesn't work at all. It picks a shade of grey when I'm hovering on some color. I can pick a source color with the selector, do the same with the destination color, and it will be replaced. But I think the eyedropper is broken because it can actually sample elements of the interface (!!?. Like those yellow values, or the grey of the palettes.

WTF ?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 2:49 PM   in reply to Guy Job

If you're having trouble with eyedroppers, install the latest updates. Lion broke how eyedroppers work, and we issued a bug-fix update for Premiere Pro CS5.5 to fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

reminder:

You can submit feature requests and bug reports here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

The Premiere Pro team will not necessarily see feedback on this forum thread, but every bug report and feature request made through the official form is logged, tallied, and considered.

(more on feedback for Premiere Pro: http://adobe.ly/q6pEBy )

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Dax Roggio

The problem I have with the title editor function in CS6 is that Adobe has now made it too small to see with no apparent way to make the preview screen larger. When the font is the correct size for the title, it's all but unreadable in the preview window. It was just fine in the previous version. Hey, Adboe, not all of us work on twin 40 inch monitors. A patch/update to make it possible to resize the title editing box would be nice... unless I missed something somewhere.

I have several other disappointments with CS6 but I'll start with this one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 4:45 PM   in reply to timtro

One of the common Feature Requests has been a Magnifier for Titler. Now, it's not just the type, but the whole viewing screen that needs magnification.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Absolutely! It should be resizable like the clip and program monitor screens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 5:43 PM   in reply to timtro

As it is really a sub-app, that is called from PrPro, there could be problems with the code, but then one would think that it could be scalable, and also have the Magnifier from many other Adobe programs, like PS.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to timtro

You can enlarge the Title Work Space in PPRO Titler simply by dragging the edges. Basic Windows function for all windows and panes.  (Not sure how Mac handles that though)

One can also enlarge the whole Titler WINDOW Space..to give more room to enlarge the workspace.

With a two monitor set up...the Titler also plays out to second monitor full screen no matter what size it is on the GUI.  This is probably the most ideal way to seriously work on grafix

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 5:35 AM   in reply to shooternz

Dragging the edge makes the frame of the over all work area larger but it does nothing for the screen text view. It was just fine for CS3, CS4 and CS5 (I haven't checked CS5.5). They should have just left it alone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to timtro

It should be resizable like the clip and program monitor screens.

Ummm...it is.  Just grab the edges and drag, like any other window.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to timtro

They did leave it alone...

You must be doing something weird  or you have customised it somehow...because in CS6 it works exactly how it always has.

As Jim and I have pointed out...drag the edges of the Titler Workspace.

If you want it larger than that...drag the overal work area (Window) first.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 10:05 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

But being able to work after you manually initiate a render, that would be a valuable feature for many, I suspect.

Please.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)