Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Choosing a distribution option for reviews and forms

Apr 14, 2012 3:53 AM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 3:53 AM   in reply to Community Help

I created a registration form pdf doc from Word, it was a table with columns,  then opened this pdf in Acrobat pro, and selected create form from doc, and it worked like magic. I now have a form but it is asking me how I want to collect responses from recipients. Which one should I select? the purpose of the pdf form is a workshop registration form, linked from a website html page. I want to tell the applicants to fill in online then click send, and then the filled in pdf arrives by email to our email address.  which option should I select, to save my pdf document so it can be opened on a web browser from a website, and sent by email?. 

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 14, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to gmcaven

You should select the Email option.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 8:59 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Hi George, Thanks for that instruction, to use email.

While I was waiting, for your post, I tried both options, but now I have gotten myself really confused, which one did what…I appear to have to join http://www.echosign.com to get hold of the document “signed” for which I can only get it free for 5 documents per month.  This is way too fancy for me.

I don’t want to have any documents signed, nor collaborate with teams, I just want people to be able to fill in, and send their enrolment details by email, but I am not wanting to pay any membership to echo service for this. Perhaps I have gotten mixed up with the other distribution method…

so now should I just try creating another doc and select email again, to go through the process, or does one have to pay for that too?

Just to verify I only want an editable PDF which people open and edit on the website, then send to me.

I don’t even mind if they have to save it themselves to their own pc, they can attach it to an email to me? That way, I can put instructions on the website how to fill and send to me?  Or how else can a pdf be forwarded to me, without involving a paid service?

Thanks

Gillian

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 14, 2012 9:17 PM   in reply to gmcaven

You don't need to use echosign for this at all. You don't even need to use the Distribute Form process. All you need to do is Reader-enable the form if you want Reader users to be able to save it after they fill it in. To do this, take the original form before you attempted to distribute it and select: File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features

This gives the document certain usage rights that enable Reader to save a filled-in form, which it normally cannot. When you use the Distribute Form process, it does this too, but also adds additional stuff that allows you to use Tracker to collect and store the form responses. This is a convenience, but isn't necessary and is not something I use myself.

The main problem with either of these approaches is the Acrobat License limits you to using no more than 500 filled-in instances of a particular form (including hard copies) that have been returned to you if you distribute it to more than 500 recipients.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 9:40 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Thank you so much for this information! I am now so happy!   One form will only be used a maximum of 80 times. Then we will write a new pdf for the next semester workshop, later on. So it looks like it will work out just fine for our needs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 9:47 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Hi George

Your instructions didn’t work entirely. I have spent 5 hours trying every which way to create an email form.

I have been reading online help files ie.Setting action buttons

If I save an ordinary pdf as reader extended then I cant add ANY form fields

If I create the form first from a pdf, I cannot save the file as reader extended

Then when I create a form the only way it will save, and up load it, to my website,

A popup comes up saying you are going to send this form data by email as there is an email to button on this form. That sounds fine, but then when I tried to click submit button, it said action not permitted. Then, created another version, to be able to be filled in and emailed, and at least now I got it to arrive in my mailbox, but it asked me to locate the form on my computer before it would open, very confusing not to be able to open the actual attached pdf from the mail. However it did show the customers data filled in. Now, though,  it wont let me save the form, we don’t just want the option to print out only, as it will only save the blank form. I was assuming we could just have saved it as a new file name.

How do we get an electronic PDF copy of the forms filled in?

Many thanks

Gillian

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Apr 16, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to gmcaven

You should Reader-enable a document as the very last step before distributing it or posting on a web site.

You cannot Reader-enable a form while you are in form editing mode, which may have been your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 3:10 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Hi  George,

My customer has said, now that the registration PDF Form is set up on the website, she is receiving the blank(filled in) forms. But she does not get a yellow bar along the top of the page, nor an option button. For me, the option button is crucial, to allow the filled in form appear. At the moment she can only receive blank forms!

Is this something to do with the software? She is not the person that has Acrobat Pro on her computer, only I do, and I am the developer, not the customer… so what can we do about this?

she says:  I don't have that   option come up when I open the pdf attachment.  That is the yellow option or any right hand options?  Hmm what to do? 

Thanks

Gillian

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 6:31 PM   in reply to gmcaven

Actually had to phone adobe technical support and the answer was this: customer has to put the pdf doc as the master on her desktop or in a doc folder, then when receiving the FDF attachments to emails, she opens the pdf at least once, then opens the FDF. So thus the FDF data finds the PDF then populates it. Then customer can save the file to their desktop as a new name. Eureka.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to Community Help

I have created a number of forms using Acrobat, and absolutely love it. However, when I distribute a form and save a _distributed copy on my HD, I then forward that form to another recipient as an attachment. When the recipient receives, completes and submits the form back to me it comes to the wrong email addres. My question is how do I edit and change the email address which is listed in the pop-up window when recipient submits the form?  I need the form to come back to a different email address... Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Hi George,

I've created a PDF form in Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro on a Mac, and I don't have the "Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features" in my Save As action. There is no security set up on it — all say "Allowed".

I'm frustrated that my friend (tester) can only print the form once filled out, and cannot save the PDF with the fields filled in.

Ideally, I would like people to fill in the form, save it, and send it back to me in an email (or have it do this automatically). This will be sent out by someone else in an email & also be posted to a website.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Lauren

|
    Mark as:
  • George Johnson
    11,671 posts
    Aug 11, 2002
    Aug 30, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to LaurenSH_62

Lauren,

In Acrobat 9, the menu item for Reader-enabling is: Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to George Johnson

Thank you SO much!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2013 6:26 AM   in reply to George Johnson

Hi George, sorry for my question - but it's important!

In Acrobat X Professional what is the difference between:

1) Distribution with tracker

2) File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features

This difference is not documented - i have studied the manual. So:

3) Why is better use Pdf Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features?

4) Very important! Can i send a Pdf fillable form without the ability to use comment section?

Really many thanks.

F

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points