Skip navigation
mymangodfrey
Currently Being Moderated

Plug-in problem

Apr 14, 2012 7:29 PM

I'm trying to install Picture Code's Noise Ninja plug-in.  This runs fine in CS5.  Is not recognized by CS6 beta.  Is there a trick to installing plugins in the new version?  Inquiring minds not only want to know, they need to know to get work done.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 7:31 PM   in reply to mymangodfrey

Here's some info on plug-ins in CS6. Note, even after trying the below tips, the plug-in may still be incompatible until the developer releases an update.

Photoshop has gone through considerable changes through the years and some older plug-ins are no longer compatible with Photoshop CS6.

Plug-in Compatibility

In general:

• 3rd Party plug-ins that are compatible in Photoshop CS5 should be compatible in Photoshop CS6
    • Adobe provided plug-ins, and additional plug-ins, for CS5 are not compatible in Photoshop CS6
      • Photoshop CS5 Optional Plug-Ins (Mac/Win)
      • TWAIN plug-in | Photoshop CS4, CS5
      • OpenEXR Alpha plug-in | Photoshop CS5 Extended

Installing plug-ins in Photoshop CS6

• Do:
      • Check the plug-in manufacturer's website for the latest version of your plug-in
      • Use the manufacturer's plug-in installer to install their plug-ins

• Don't:
      • Do not point Photoshop CS6's "Additional Plug-ins" preference (Preferences>Plug-Ins...) at a previous version of Photoshop's 'Plug-Ins' folder.
      • Do not manually drag plug-ins from a previous version of Photoshop's plug-ins folder to Photoshop CS6's 'Plug-Ins' folder

Source: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4221311#4221311

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 14, 2012 9:09 PM   in reply to mymangodfrey

I don't have that particular plug-in, but some plug-ins install DLLs and other files in addition to their .8bf files.  You might have a look in the Photoshop CS5 main installation area for files with similar modification dates to the plug-in file itself.  If Picture Code installed extra files there, you'll likely need to copy them to the Photoshop CS6 main installation area (making sure not to mix up 32 and 64 bit plug-ins).

It also probably would be a good idea to see if they've released and updated installer that you could download and just have the plug-in install "officially" into Ps CS6.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to mymangodfrey

The TWAIN plugin is compatible with Photoshop CS6. However, on Mac OS X, CS6 is 64-bit only and there are very few 64-bit compatible TWAIN scanner drivers available, so unless you happen to have a scanner that does offer a 64-bit version (a few Canon's do) then you will not be able to use your scanner with TWAIN. On Windows, TWAIN is only 32-bit (same as CS5), so you have to install and run TWAIN using the 32-bit version of Photoshop rather than the 64-bit version.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to PDFerguson

PDFerguson, how did you connect TWAIN and Noise Ninja?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 3:24 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel,

I don't believe there is any connection between TWAIN and Noise Ninja, so I'm not sure what you're asking. I was just making a comment about the information someone posted in this thread.

Regarding Noise Ninja, though, the original poster did not indicate whether they are running on Mac or Windows. According to the PictureCode website, Noise Ninja is not 64-bit compatible on Mac at this point, which would mean the plugin will not work in Photoshop CS6 on Mac OS X.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 4:07 PM   in reply to PDFerguson

Ah, I see, the info quoted by Howard mentions TWAIN.  I missed that.  Sorry.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points