Skip navigation
darrenjuggins
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 & LR4.1 RC - What's Happend - I Really don't like spending Money to be a Beta Tester

Apr 13, 2012 3:58 PM

Tags: #slow_operation_of_lightroom_4.1_rc #disappointed_in_lr4.0_as_a_paying_customer

Hi All,

I've been watching the forums with interest over the release and development to LR4.1RC and have got to say after moving to it as a workflow for my professional work, i've got to say i'm somewhat disappointed for a released piece of software, how many bugs there seems to be.

I've updated to LR4.1 RC in the hope of seeing some improvements, but in the process of editing several studio sessions, i must have seen 10 lock ups, where all i can do is crash LR or indeed it just reports an unkown error has occurred.

Whilst i'm enjoying the new features and am getting to grips with the new development sliders, it does feel like i've taken a step back in time on speed.... either i'm getting too fast for my computer or there is some seriously poor programming thats happended in the haste to release this product.

I'm following the suggestions of turning off the film strip and now processing the imports as standard, where as it was more than possible to work with minimal previews and allow them to process in realtime when moving along the film strip.

when i'm processing 200 images per shoot and I need to do up to 8 per day, i really would like to spend some time relaxing in the evening, rather than looking at my screen.

Please Adobe, can we have some improvement of speed of rendering, the whole idea of the program is to aid my workflow, not slow it down.

This is one Pro that is feeling frustrated at an excellent product..... flawed.....

I hope for significant improvements from LR 4.1 RC and the offical release as it would seem else i need to wait until version 4.2 or above, please don't consider paying customers beta testers, that phase has passed, or should have been extended.

Regards

Darren Juggins

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to darrenjuggins

I agree. great new features, but the memory leaks and general slowness of LR3 have only got worse in LR4

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:36 PM   in reply to John Spacey

Amen, this is ridiculous. I cannot believe I PAID to sit here and struggle with this software. I have half my files unable to import from a session this evening because the 4.1 cannot read the files AFTER it read the first half and successfully convereted to DNG coming in from my 5D MKIII. Icing on the cake was posting a complaint on the *Photoshop* forum accidentally only to get a snarky reply by an employee for posting in the wrong place. So I paid for software that won't work and crappy Customer Service, excellent.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 5:45 AM   in reply to Buckikiddies Photography

Also agreed - bought LR3 and was happy enough to go for LR4 very soon after release, but have been plagued with issues compared to my previous experience with v3.

I honestly feel like I have forgotten that I paid for it, like it almost makes so little sense that my brain just can't equate the two facts!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to darrenjuggins

I bought the upgrade to get it in the free postage period, but I'm not touching it till it's a lot more stable. One expects the odd bug on the first release, but this really is alpha testing. It almost looks to me like the bean counters insisted on release before April to bump up the revenue for the FY.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 12:03 AM   in reply to darrenjuggins

Have just upgraded to LR 4.1 as i was having issue's importing Canon Raw files from my Canon 550D camera, It would not recognise the .CR2 files and just showed a blank square in the import boxes.
    LR4.1 has completley done the dash and Crash on me, and won't open at all...You can't open the application Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.app because it may be damaged or incomplete.??? any ideas??Screen shot 2012-04-15 at 2.42.30 PM.png

The .app is sitting in th Application folder with a round circle and a stroke through it!!Screen shot 2012-04-15 at 4.06.23 PM.png

Getting the trial version of the released version Should be great- BUT im having more issues's with this than the BETA version of PS CS6 Jeppers!!! LJ

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 2:21 AM   in reply to darrenjuggins

Exactly!! LR is on its way down since 2.5 which was realy great and now 4.0/1 is close to useless. Maybe some features are improved but from a workflow point of view it is starting to make no sense any more.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to xirta

Just found out this---^ Screen shot 2012-04-15 at 4.06.23 PM.png^--- was the original LR4 .app. After re-intalling the http:/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.1 RC.pkg

Things seem to be A-Ok. But this is how it has left the origonal LR4 .app looking LOL.

Screen shot 2012-04-15 at 7.35.28 PM.png

LR4.1 .app back up and working with no errors. :-))

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points