Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop CS6 Saving JPEGs as GIF's???

Apr 13, 2012 5:59 AM

Tags: #bridge #osx #bug #cs6 #beta #bug_report

I am doubble clicking my .jpg images from Bridge CS6 into Photoshop CS6 to downsize the image and after i change the image to move across to a forum elsewhere.

The Save As" option gives me all the normal file. options, i click the drop down bar and select JPEG, and then automatically the .jpg image above turns into a .gif file???

I have closed out and tried resaving on several different images of mine and keep getting this .gif once selecting the JPEG, and- .gif setting if i select ok to go forward with the.gif.

I want to save as a simple

JPEG with a size 8 for web forum purpose.

Whats with this?

Please help with this, is it a bug??

Thanks

Here is the screen pic.-->

Sorry about the blurryness if you click the image it wil enlarge. Cheers

OSX

CS5 Master Collection Suite Owner &

Lightroom 4.

******UPDATE- Going through all different file formats, saved everything as something different.

Saving my image as .Photoshop Raw- Saved my Photo as a JPEG then i got to choose size 8 - ok. Done.

Definatley a BUG!!***** in file saving!!!******

Screen shot 2012-04-13 at 10.25.25 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to LJBlakbird

Not a bug as such - you just copied plugins from an older version of Photoshop into CS6 and created duplicate file formats, which confused the menu in the save dialog (it doesn't like duplicates).

Go remove the duplicate plugins that you copied by mistake.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 13, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Chris Cox wrote:

you copied by mistake.

If you didn't actually copy them but specified the Extra Plug-ins Folder to point to the old Photoshop plug-ins area, that would do it too.  Undo that.

There's no easy, direct, quick way to make all the same plug-ins available.  You have to either install them or copy new copies of just the 3rd party ones into the proper folder.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:14 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I did that too - point to an additional plug-ins folder in CS5. I also can't save as a jpeg, and I'm getting a message that it can't load the Enable Async I/O module etc.

Undoing the additional plug-ins will solve that? Do I need to re-install the Beta?

Helen Yancy

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to Helen Kaye

And that worked! I un-checked the additional plug-ins and all is well!

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Apr 15, 2012 12:33 AM   in reply to LJBlakbird

In the preferences, there is an entry where you can point to your additional plug-ins folder. You should not point to the root of your previous version's plug-in folder: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/965931?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I wasn't aware that you weren't supposed to point to the additional plug ins folder and I did so. Nevertheless, I have had no trouble saving as jpeg, or tiff or PNG or PSB. Maybe this problem is due to a particular plug in that I don't own?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 11:36 AM   in reply to LJBlakbird

I simply unchecked the additional plug-ins box in the preferences and my troubles were over. I did re-install my third party filters with no problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 15, 2012 12:25 PM   in reply to ckc48

To be perfectly clear, you CAN use the Extra Plug-ins Folder specification to point to a separate folder you've created where you have put ONLY your 3rd party plug-ins.  It can be a neat way to help organize plug-ins, especially if you don't prefer to copy things into your Photoshop installation area.

Just don't point it anywhere in the installation area for another version of Photoshop.

The basic problem is that many folks, in trying to save time, choose to point their Extra Plug-ins Folder setting to the plug-ins subfolder inside their old Photoshop installation area, thinking that will just make them all available to the new version.  The key thing is that the old versions of Photoshop ALSO had put their own Adobe-supplied plug-ins there.  The conflict arises when the new version of Photoshop starts and tries to enumerate the plug-ins, including those found in the Extra Plug-ins Folder, it finds overlap between its own plug-ins and the old ones it finds there.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points