Skip navigation
Vorpal11
Currently Being Moderated

Stroke effect

Apr 14, 2012 1:22 PM

Is there a limit to the number of instances on layers that the Generate Stroke effect can be used?  I currently am experiencing major rendering/preview issues when having more than 20-25 layers running simultaneously.  I have a six-core system with 24GB of ram and a video with 2gb dedicated DDR5 ram, that usually runs flawlessly.  I'm currently working on a project with about 500 layers, of which 200 are generated strokes using paths copy and pasted from Illustrator.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to Vorpal11

500 layers is a lot of layers... even for a system with your specifications.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 7:21 PM   in reply to Vorpal11

There's no finite limit I'm aware of, but 500 layers is an awful lot of calculation, and there's always going to be a real world limit based on the capabilities of your hardware. 

Try to work smarter.  If possible, pre-render elements.  Use proxy renders where possible.  Hide layers when not required.  Turn off OpenGL.  Reduce preview resolution and turn off motion blur while working.  If any strokes are not being animated, pre-produce them in Illustrator or Photoshop so that AE doesn't have to do the work.  Consider using Shape layers with repeaters if they will do the job of multiple layers.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 12:00 AM   in reply to Vorpal11

As the others said, it's a simple math problem depending on teh compelxity of the shapes and specific settings used. You could perhaps get more and better performance by doing them as shape layers since those routines are much more optimized, but even then there will be a wall somewhere along the way...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to Vorpal11

Mmh, sounds frustrating indeed. Though I never have observed this behavior myself, this could be soem sort of odd bug in the effect itself. Perhaps you should report it with as many details as possible and include a pointer to this forum thread...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)