Skip navigation
gkclan
Currently Being Moderated

Can i hack gtx 560 ti speed up rendering in premiere pro using mercucy engine ??*

Apr 15, 2012 12:05 AM

I'm going to buy this card soon, msi gtx 560 ti oc version, i wonder if i can "hack" it to use mercucy to speed up rendering and playback ??? please tell me ??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 12:31 AM   in reply to gkclan

Yes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to gkclan

As Harm stated, yes, you can. However, there are currently two different MSI GTX 560 Ti OC cards on the market (the Twin Frozr II and the Twin Frozr III, the former being based on the regular 560 Ti with only 384 CUDA cores and 256-bit graphics memory bus, the latter with 448 CUDA cores and a 320-bit graphics memory bus). Between the two, go for the Twin Frozr III as the lesser Twin Frozr II (being based on the "regular" 560 Ti) can only achieve a score of 90 to 100 seconds (versus 60 to 70 seconds for the Twin Frozr III/GTX 560 Ti 448) in the MPEG-2 DVD portion of the PPBM5 benchmark even on a system with a heavily overclocked CPU. (This assumes that you're going to use the card in a system with an overclocked i7-2600K or higher CPU. If on the other hand you're going to use the new card in a system with only a limited-overclockable i5 CPU or an i7 CPU that's stuck at or near stock speed, then the regular Twin Frozr II would be sufficient as the Twin Frozr III's performance would not have been sufficiently faster in such a limited system to justify the higher price.)

Remember, performance is affected not only by the number of CUDA cores, but also by the memory throughput. The latter is the very reason why the GTX 550 Ti is slightly slower than the GTX 260 despite both GPUs having the exact same number of CUDA cores (192, in this case) because 192-bit DDR5 memory (as used on the GTX 550 Ti) has slightly less total memory throughput than the GTX 260's 448-bit DDR3 memory.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points