Skip navigation
Whats_edoo
Currently Being Moderated

Processing Panos

Apr 15, 2012 4:49 AM

I would like to process large numbers of images into a pano. Is there anyway to increase the capabilities of Photomerge? Better blending and ability to process more images at a time?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to Whats_edoo

In terms to performance, more RAM may help speed things up. If your system has a nice about of RAM, you can control how much is available to Photoshop in the Performance preferences.

Other than that, Photoshop has a lot of processes to go through when merging images. Depending on the of the images you're working with, it may take a few minutes to go through.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 15, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to Whats_edoo

What is it not doing for you?  Can you be specific about the size (in pixels) and number of images you're trying to stitch?

All the panos I've stitched, and I've done some big ones, have come out virtually perfect.  I'm always amazed at how well Photomerge works.  To be fair, I did try one so large once (with PS CS5) that it just hung up and never finished.

Note that I have a fairly powerful workstation - Howard's advice is right on.  Even with 16 GB of RAM and a huge amount of disk space, some of my panos have really taxed the system...  At one point I had a 200 GB Photoshop scratch file!!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to Whats_edoo

Have you tried merges in groups/subgroups?  By that I mean, for example, let's say you have 12 images to merge.

Try merging the first 4, then separately merge the next 4 together, then in another file merge the last four.

Next merge the 3 large files (previously each merged from 4) together.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,932 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 15, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Doug.S

I not sure if you can do it piecemeal like that, because Photoshop is correcting for spherical distortion shot be shot.    I've not done any multi row panos with CS6 yet, but the ones I have worked perfectly and seamlessly.  It's difficult to judge how long it takes because I'm using a NLE system with ix cores and lots of RAM, but eight times 21Mb merged in about 20 seconds for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 5:09 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Edit: Sorry Doug, I didn't read the whole thread and throught you were the OP, my apology, but the advise is still valid.

Hi Trevor. Dennis,

First off, I do what Doug.S recommends often with large and complex pano's. I may stitch rows in a different program, then take them into photoshop and stitch the rows together and I get excellent stitch/merge - if I don't, it is usually because I have not followed proceedures. But I would recommend do it in parts, if it is really complex.

However, having said that. PS will stitch almost any single layered pano's,( vs multilayered as in bracket/HDR pano's which it can't do), or at least i do not know how to do.

So that brings us to your image set and perhaps, they are not shot with enough overlap? ..... This is where a dedicated panoramic stitcher program is recommended, where you can add control points manually or it may be able to do it automatic.

It sounds like you are using a Canon 5D Mk II camera, which shouldn't present that many issues for a decent system. You describe your system as NLE, None Linear Editing, with IX cores (9?) and lots of ram..... ??? whats lots  of ram? 4, 16 or +96GB ?? could you be a little more specific, please. It makes it a lot easier to assist

Also, please clarify the above "I've not done any multi row panos with CS6 yet, but the ones I have worked perfectly and seamlessly",

I haven't done any....., but those I have worked perfectly and seamlessly. that doen't make any sense! You either have or you haven't made any multirow panos?!

So, if you are still really stuck , and I hope I am not breaking protocol here, by naming a few other programs, if so please accept my apology, but just trying to help you - PTGui, Autopano or the free Hugin....there are many more but these do all work on the platforms that Photostop is available for. Together these are a good set of programs to have with Photoshop in your Pano-kit.

I hope this is of some help to you - let me know if you need any further assistance

Henrik

Message was edited by: tived

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to Whats_edoo

Whats_edoo,

We need more information.

Number of images,

Camera and lens shot with, and if it was shot handheld, or using a Panoramic head, or even a panoramic robot

Some information about your computer, apart from shinny silver or white box with glossy screen . but more importantly what CPU, amount of RAM/memory, number of harddrives and if these are mechanical or SSD based.

but depending on your system config, Photoshop can handle hundreds of images in a pano, again depending your system it may take some time

All the best

Henrik

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Whats_edoo

Whats_edoo wrote:

I have processed 264 images seamlessly into a pano with no problems. It takes most of the night but it does it. I have been unable to go beyond that apparent threshold.

As far as the equipment I have a six core 3.33 Mac pro with 32gb of memory. It's plenty powerfull to accomplish what I want.

...plenty of dedicated room for scratch files

How much do you think is "plenty"?

Based on the GARGANTUAN scratch files I've seen when processing rather fewer images than you're describing, I'd say the scratch file use is somewhat inefficient, and that it would take several terabytes at least of free space on the scratch drive to support the stitching you're doing.

How much of your scratch space was used at the peak of stitching 264 images?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points