Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Active/current page treatment in navigation, on master page?

Apr 3, 2012 10:19 AM

Tags: #active #navigation #master #page #states #current #slices

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to have a 'current' or 'active' page treatment on a given page, to show the user where they are in the site navigation. I found similar questions in this forum but no answers.

I would like to get this to work with slices / states on the master page. My workaround has been to use the master page slices / states for rollover only, and to have the 'current page' treatment on each page (overlapping the master page layer). This is inefficient because whenever changes are made to the nav, I have to change the current page treatment on every single page.

It seems to be this is what the master page should be useful for, no?

Note: I am only creating a working prototype for the client that they can view in their browser. This is not intended to create final code, I leave that to my developer. I just want everything approved by the client before the design goes to my developer, and I find that working prototypes help with this.

Thanks in advance for your kind wisdom! This is my first foray into Fireworks and so far I am finding it is way faster than Photoshop at creating mockups.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 1:28 PM   in reply to jjensen1974

Your current workaround sounds pretty good. Unfortunately, my older version of Fireworks (FW8) doesn't have the features you're using, so it's hard for me to advise you.

Here's my suggestion: Would it help to define each nav/menu item in your master page as a symbol? You could drag a second instance onto each individual page to indicate the 'current page'—using effects or transformations to modify its appearance. Then, any changes you'd need to make later on to individual nav items could be made to the symbol, where they'd only need to be made once.

Alternatively, would it be possible to define each nav item as a button symbol (which would include multiple states)? Or to use one symbol—with multiple instances—for all the nav items?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points