Skip navigation
Nicomil2000
Currently Being Moderated

Timecode in AVI-Files

May 10, 2010 11:05 AM

I have captured all my MiniDVs (recorded with Sony TRV20) with Pinnacle V9 a year ago.

Now I changed to Premiere Elements V8. When I want to edit these AVI-Files I see a perfect Timecode, but always starting at 00:00:00.00 instead of the Timecode corresponding to the real time when I made the recording. In Pinnacle I can see and use the correct TC, but I can't find any absolute TC-information in PE.

Where did my TC go?

Is there a preference I have to configure in PE or in the Organizer?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 10, 2010 12:21 PM   in reply to Nicomil2000

In PRE7 there is the following preferences screen:

tc.png

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 6:28 AM   in reply to Nicomil2000

Video does not embed information in the file in the same way as still photos (EXIF). I wonder if it is a feature of Pinnacle that it maintains its own extended data outside of the video itself. Try looking at your video in a couple of other players (e.g. Windows Media Player, QuickTime or VLC) or editors (e.g. Windows Movie Maker, Virtual Dub, trial versions of AVS or Magix products). I would not be surprised if they too don't have the data you describe.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 9:28 AM   in reply to nealeh

That would be my guess too, Neale. It's quite likely Pinnacle did not capture the video's true timecode.

Try capturing a segment with Premiere Elements and see if you get the same results.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2010 9:46 AM   in reply to Nicomil2000

Nicomil2000 wrote:

There is always just the TC starting at 00:00:00.00.

To clarify I presume you are looking at the following:

cti.png

This is not in fact a Time Code with any relevance to the original footage. It is the CTI  - Current Time Indicator -  and that is exactly what it is. It show the current time of your project through out the project. i.e. If you butt two clips together the start of the second clip shows the time in Hrs:Mins:Secs:Frames and this will be one frame higher than the end of the previous clip.

In my earlier reply I missed the significance of the SCN file you described. This confirms my guess that Pinnacle kept its own extended information outside of the video.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 6:55 AM   in reply to Nicomil2000

You might want to explore ScenAlyzer Live (SD) and HDVSplit (HD) for Capture utilities. Each offers more control than PrE (or even PrPro). Most users think that each should have been the Capture module in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2010 9:03 AM   in reply to Nicomil2000

Good luck, and please report your progress.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2010 11:00 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

It is strange that even Scenalyzer is showing the timecode always starting at 0. If you have time, can you try opening any of your clips in DVMP Pro (demo version) or DVMP Basic. Both of these will show exactly what timecode the camera stored in the DV data and will confirm for sure whether your files contain timecode. If they do, DVMP Pro has a tool for adding a Premiere header to the files which effectively tells Premeiere the correct starting timecode to use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 2:02 AM   in reply to Nicomil2000

Export functions were moved to the [Share] tab in PRE8. File> Export is now only used for Titles.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 10:26 AM   in reply to Nicomil2000

Nicomil2000 wrote:

I couldn't test this feature [AVI splitting] since I have only the demo version where functionnality is restricted.

AVI splitting isn't restricted in the demo.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2010 11:52 AM   in reply to Colin-B

Colin,

I was unaware of that. It had been my understanding that the trial was fully functional, except for the watermark banner.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Apr 15, 2012 9:54 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I myself came across the issue of finding the date when the scene was captured. Have been looking for a long while until i came across this discussion.

I didn't need any fancy stuff, just find out the date when all my imported scenes wre captured. Thanx to Bill Hunt's suggestion, i downloaded the older free version of Scenalyzer, and it did exactly what i was looking for.

I just registered so that i can say thank you for your suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 10:21 AM   in reply to Peter Bursky

Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

Glad that helped you get what you needed.

That is a good reason for the forum - often earlier discussions will help others, later on.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points