Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

gradient annotator missing

Apr 15, 2012 9:02 AM

my gradient annotator is missing in cs5 though i have it set to show in view window. please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to jackcomeaux1962

Jack,

Presuming you have Window>Gradient ticked, a document open, and a path with a gradient chosen, what is missing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 9:28 AM   in reply to jackcomeaux1962

Are you editing a live paint object? Then there will be no annotator

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 9:47 AM   in reply to jackcomeaux1962

You may be just fooled by an Illustrator interface weakness.

That is, if you see the Show Gradient annotator item in the View menu, it actually means that the annotator is hidden. Click the item to turn it on.

If you see the Hide Gradient annotator item, it means that it is turned on.

Perhaps it would be better to rename the items to something like Annotator is on and Annotator is off. Additionaly I'd place it as an option box straight on the Gradient palette.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 10:09 AM   in reply to Kurt Gold

perhaps even more clear is a "radio" button style (perhaps better with 'dot in circle'   instead of x / _ )

x show  _ hide : Gradient Annotator

opposite/change to/setting;

_ show   x hide : Gradient Annotator

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to jackcomeaux1962

That may be too simple, but just to clarify: When the Gradient annotator is turned on, is it still hidden when you select the grad object and then take the Gradient tool in the Tools palette?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to jackcomeaux1962

Are you going to share what exactly went wrong?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

LOL! I'll take a guess, the Op selected the object and filled it with a graadient and no gradient annotator! Not relizing they have to select the tool itseklf in order to see the annotator.

This derives me crazy all the time.

Clicking on the tool should fill the object with a gradient and bring the panel into focus and make it active. It seems silly to have to click on the panel activate the gradient fill and then select the gradient annotator to manipulate it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 9, 2013 4:30 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Just had the same problem, I was using the gradient tool in a shape that had been created by expanding a live paint group. The gradient annotator wasn't showing in some shapes, while in others, it showed just fine. In my case, somehow the problematic shapes were contained within a group (consisting of only the shape itself, go figure), that wouldn't go to isolation mode if I double-clicked it. Used "ungroup" on them and things got back to normal. If this fail, try to create a graphic style out of the shapes where the Grad Annotator is showing, then apply this style on the problematic shapes, or try to find if there's something wrong showing on the Appearance panel.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points