Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Mouse selection options

Apr 11, 2012 1:50 AM

I switch recently from using CorelDraw to Illustrator, but I miss very much one thing from CorelDraw. If I was to select draggint with the mouse around objects, CorelDraw would select what's inside the rectangle, not what is toucing the rectangle. Keeping ALT while dragging would make CorelDraw select the way Illustrator is selecting normally. Is there a way to select in Illustrator what is inside the mouse selection rectangle.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2012 3:46 AM   in reply to modeleromy

That selection routine is still not available in Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 12:03 PM   in reply to modeleromy

if you don't mind work arounds...I posted a script that does the job, look at post # 11

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856221?start=0&tstart=0

there's another script at post # 41 in the same thread

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to modeleromy

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to modeleromy

From what I can see it's a wanted feature, I wonder why Adobe is stubborn to implement it...

yeah, there are lost of things many people want...but, how does that saying go?...oh yeah I think is "customer is last".

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Nice script, Carlos. A good workaround.

But frankly, isn't it pretty mouldy that AI still does not offer that subtle distinction of two obvious selection routines?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 2:45 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

thanks Kurt, yes, it really sucks. we've talked about this for way too long...who knows how they set their priorities. It's not like it is rocket science...hey, even a half decent scripter like me could come up with the mechanics on how it could work. Any knowledgeable C++ programmer can turn it into a plugin and presto. AI programmers are very capable, it all comes to priorities and this is not one of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 12:58 PM   in reply to CarlosCanto

Visio  (now from MSFT) has had this option to select all within or not (see attached image; last item checked) since at least 2003

At least Illy could do the same and please many users.

Maybe more repeated "suggestions" to improve Ai to Adobe "might" help get it done.

Visio select option.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to Doug.S

As do some other programmes for decades.

You may want to suggest it more often, but don't be surprised to get answers like this:

"I've never missed that feature. You will just have to learn and love how blindingly easy it is to do the same thing by poking around inside the Layers palette."

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to modeleromy

FreeHand had it solved easy. You could choose either inside the marquee, or inside and touch the marquee, same with the lasso tool. I think it was called context sensitive. Hum... Adobe owns FreeHand, so why not add this important function to Illustrator!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points