Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrade Price Speculations Production Premium CS5.5 to CS6?

Apr 12, 2012 8:39 AM

Anyone have an idea of the cost to upgrade from Production Premium CS5.5 to CS6?  Right now you can buy the updgrade from CS5 to CS5.5 for $399 + 10% off until the 15th.  If you buy the CS5 to CS5.5 upgrade now, you get CS6 for free.  Wonder if buying the CS5 to CS5.5 upgrade with a free copy of CS6 for $360 will be cheaper than the CS5.5 to CS6 upgrade.  If you are still on CS5, seems like a not brainer.  Thoughts?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 12, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to {KMS}

Pricing has not been announced, so we are not discussing it on these forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 9:34 AM   in reply to {KMS}

Yes, maybe...maybe not? Who knows? Well...besides Adobe. And maybe Dave, but he's not interested in discussing anything today. And this is really more appropriate to the Lounge anyway.

BUT - I like your question, and I want to try to give you some advice if I can so here goes.

You're likely to see that the upgrade price for the boxed/download version of Production Premium CS6 isn't much different than what you're seeing now for the intermediate "upgrade now, save later" type offers.

For me, I'm holding on to see what the final pricing and layout is for Creative Cloud. Probably looking at that costing me a bit more over the short run based on my current Adobe purchasing history, but there's supposed to be quite a bit of extra goodness in there so probably worthwhile.

If you have a money back guarantee wherever you're purchasing, you can always buy now, don't open it, then return it in a week or so if pricing is announced and it makes a difference.

If you think you'd have a use for the Creative Cloud, you may want to wait. The preliminary pricing listed by Adobe is $49/month for annual subscribers. Maybe it'll be discounted for 1-year if you already own CS5 or CS5.5 versions of one of the suites. Dunno. Probably more info within the next 7 days.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 9:55 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

The cloud looks very attractive if you are a pro planning to be in active work for many years and aren't already at master collection level.

I'm closer to retirement, and being at CS5 Production Premium, the CS5.5 now puts me at CS6 as my base for a perpetual license. For me it was a no brainer.

I assume that a CS5.0 to CS6 will be a 2 step upgrade (the current equivalent of CS4 to CS5.5) which is currently $649 (less 10%). So, $360 now vs $650ish later is the likely comparison.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to {KMS}

What I wonders about upgrade pricing is just how does the store know what to charge?

I glanced at the store (did not go all the way to checkout) and the price to upgrade from CS5 to CS5.5 is "X" while anything before CS5 is a LOT more

So... does the actual checkout process ask for a serial number to verify what you are upgrading?

I've never bought an upgrade before, so just wonder how the store works

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Price is based on what you choose during checkout. You have to select your existing license. When you install the software on your computer it checks to see that you have the correct license installed or prompts you to enter the license # from the previous version.

If you selected the upgrade from CS5 to CS6 but you only own CS4 then you won't be able to activate the software.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:32 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Interesting... that would mean there are actually two different download versions... one for CS5-to-CS5.5 and another for "all other" versions prior to CS5

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Not necessarily different versions. In all likelihood there is just a bit of correlation between the serial number for each version that's matching serial number logic to your previous version. That's why you can download the free trial and activate it after purchase...regardless of which upgrade license you get.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

We'll announce pricing soon. Speculation before then is kinda pointless.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

absolutely.

i only hope, there won't be a big difference to upgrade from 5 or 5.5, since 5.5 was kind of a mid-term-release just after i bought 5 so i sticked with it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 4:13 PM   in reply to {KMS}

I just chatted with a rep.

He said You CAN upgrade to cs5.5 from 5, and get cs6 for free whten it comes out.

In the box.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 4:44 PM   in reply to AudoWarp

This sounds very nice. GracePeriod back in town?

That is such a fair and customer-friendly policy from Adobe.

Thank You for sharing the info.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 5:26 PM   in reply to AudoWarp

Adobe also has a 30 day return policy. They are VERY good about making sure folks are happy with the product.

FWIW, there's a 15% discount for the Adobe store floating around out there. If you're planning your CS6 upgrade path from a pre-CS5.5 version, now would be a good time to find it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 7:49 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

But can you use the 15% as well as get this free upgrade? Cause it said something about not being able to use it with other offers. I have CS4 atm and am looking to not make my wallet cry as much.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to Christian Jolly

The 15% discount at the Adobe store appears to be gone.

And yes, you could have gotten the discount and still the free upgrade, but looks like no more....

Christian is there a coupon out there somewhere?

My CS5.5 arrived today. I'm happy.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:51 PM   in reply to OblivionCW

OblivionCW wrote:

But can you use the 15% as well as get this free upgrade? Cause it said something about not being able to use it with other offers. I have CS4 atm and am looking to not make my wallet cry as much.

Dunno...guess I'll find out soon....I'm going to go ahead and get the CS5.5 upgrade just to hedge my bet. It'll only be something like $350 with discount, taxes and shipping. What I really would like is the Creative Cloud, even though it would cost almost twice as much as upgrading every 12 months. Still, having access to new versions of Dreamweaver and some other apps, plus all the extra cloud goodies and constantly being updated....all very attractive for the price.

But even knowing the pricing, I feel like there's still a few details not yet revealed so on Monday I'll probably make up my mind. If I decide to go with the Creative Cloud, I'll just return my CS5.5 upgrade to Adobe and get my CS6 fix by way of Creative Cloud.

OR - if the combined discount deal is not allowed as OblivionCW suggests, then I'll return it regardless.

Like I said, just hedging my bet for now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:52 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Stan Jones wrote:

The 15% discount at the Adobe store appears to be gone.

And yes, you could have gotten the discount and still the free upgrade, but looks like no more....

Christian is there a coupon out there somewhere?

My CS5.5 arrived today. I'm happy.

Stan, just sent you a PM.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:57 AM   in reply to Christian Jolly

Send me one as well Christian? All I can find are discounts for being members of certain groups and they all cost money to join hehe.

I still dunno about the cloud thing, plus i'm behind being on CS4

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points