• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Files not compatible???

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started some vehicle wrap graphics yesterday, saved them on my hard drive then backed them up on an external drive.

Today I am unable to open the files from either source, I get the following message: Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop.

OS 10.7.3

Photoshop CS 5.1 Extended 12.1 x64

The files are psd, sizes are 1.34 GB (obviously not exceeding the 2GB limit)

The files all have their proper .psd extensions and my system and software are all up-to-date.

Is there anything I can do to open these files?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't have any positive answer.

But if if makes you feel any better in the last few months have seen threads with same problem.

They save the document in PSD and then can't retireve it.  Seems like it is in CS5.1 rather than CS5.

Might do a search here and on google to see if you can find these posts.  Probably something like PSD file not compatible.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I think I'll also save those huge files as tifs in the future just because they have a 4GB limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you save a file open it up again to make sure it saved correctly before closing image in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other psd  files that I created that day and were saved the exact same way still open, it's just the two largest ones that give the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Random thoughts:

What are the pixel dimensions (width plus height)?

Does Graphic Converter or Adobe illustrator open them?

The error message you describe is typical of terminally corrupted files, especially those saved across a network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are very large files (182" x 70" for the sides), they're for vehicle wrap graphics so they have to be larger. They are saved on my hard drive, using our network would be way too slow. I've done vehicle wraps in older versions of Photoshop and never had an issue like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AmyH19 wrote:

They are very large files (182" x 70" for the sides)…

Unfortunately, that tells me nothing.

My question was:  What are the pixel dimensions (width plus height)?, or how many pixels wide by how many pixels high.  You may be hitting a pixel limitation in one or both dimensions.

A factor that may lead to file corruption is Norton Anti Virus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AmyH19 wrote:

…The files are psd, sizes are 1.34 GB (obviously not exceeding the 2GB limit)…

If that is the size of the file on disk, remember that is the compressed size.  The size of the file in RAM can still excedd the limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just wondering if you were able to recover the file? I just ran into the same problem. I'm on CS5 and the file was only 121.9 MB, dimensions 1600 x 1152 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lavieenrose07 wrote:

...I just ran into the same problem. I'm on CS5 and the file was only 121.9 MB, dimensions 1600 x 1152

With those dimensions you should not be having any problems whatsoever.

There are two factors that can corrupt files like that:

1.- If you are on a Mac and are running Norton Anti Virus;

2.- Saving to a server across a network.

In either of those two cases, the files are irretrievably lost.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of those is the case with me so I really don't understand what happened. So frustrating!

I can't even open it in Illustrator or Fireworks. And Preview opens it but displays nothing.

Definitely starting daily backups as of tonight (I was doing them every few weeks... oops.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lavieenrose07 wrote:

Neither of those is the case with me so I really don't understand what happened…

Well, a hardware problem could be involved too, such as RAM suddenly gone bad, a defective or failing hard drive, etc. 

Severe directory damage can also lead to corruption, especially if the user has messed with kext files, for instance.

There can be multiple causes.  That's why back-ups are critical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lavieenrose07 wrote:

I really don't understand what happened. So frustrating!

Don't just leave it at that.

Computers should not just be "expected" to corrupt or lose data.  I know mine don't, and I wouldn't tolerate it.  Backups are a GREAT idea, but you shouldn't have to rely on them.  Take this as your wakeup call, and implement those backups, but don't just take this failure in stride.

The reality is that sometimes computers DO lose or corrupt files.  Why?  There is always a reason.  Failing hardware, cheap hardware, poor cables, software problems, the list goes on.  Computers can seem inscrutable, but they're just complex machines, and actually CAN work perfectly.

Did you check whatever event logs would track hardware failures on your system (I'm not a Mac expert, so I'm not sure of the details)?

Is your system completely up to date?

Do you have diagnostics you can run when it's not doing anything else?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very frustrating Adobe. I have a client waiting for work that your software keeps losing/locking me out of for no reason. Maybe take 'professional' off the box until this is resolved and replace it with beta?

I am having the same problem. I just saved my PSD file, then immediately go to open it  right after closing and it tells me "Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop. This is happening regularly. I am not working on a server nor do I use Norton Antivirus. I regularly run ONYX to clean my system and never had this problem until this version of Photoshop.

OSX: 10.7.4

Photoshop: CS5 Extended (12.1 x64)

The only other thing I've done in recent months is install a couple trials. I'm wondering if installing trials of CS6 products screws with something that makes the system THINK you've upgraded the other ones? I never installed a CS6 trial of photoshop though. Only CS6 trials of Flash Pro, Flash Builder, and InDesign. Not sure why that would have anything to do with Photoshop but...I'm also not sure why saving a PSD doesn't later let you open or have any access to your work.

I can see the file in OSX preview, but of course that doesn't get you any access to the PSD layers and other features which is why you use Photoshop. Otherwise any other software does the trick.

Anyone find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most people find that errors like that are due to bad file servers, bad disks, and sometimes bad RAM.

The trial of CS6 does not interfere with CS5 or previous versions.

I would make a backup, then take a look at that hard disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, almost no one ever recovers info from PSD files that are corrupted.

If your system is prone to corrupting files, your best bet is to occasionally save your work in different master files.

I don't know how long you have been working on your file, or whether you've done it in multiple sessions, but if you have backups check them right away, before the corrupted file overwrites any older version of the file you might have backed up.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having understood these files aren't over a network and on your internal drive, I don't see how I could help. Like station_one clearly mentioned the filesize is the 'compressed' size and when you open it with PS, your RAM may spike not allowing you to open the file. You could try tweaking your 'Scratch Disk' setting under Preferences in PS. Not sure if that'll help though. But you aren't going to lose anything by trying it.

Also, This link could help you: http://hardcorerikki.deviantart.com/journal/Saving-your-corrupt-PSD-files-and-job-214157171

One more thing that I've learnt the hard way - ALWAYS BACKUP your files at least on 1 location, if not on multiple drives. Since you mentioned you're using Mac OS Lion, why not try Time Machine backups? Well, your final file may still be corrupted there - but at the very least, you'll have previous versions of the file - this will save you at least half the time - you could just re-do what you've lost instead of re-doing it from scratch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 03, 2013 Oct 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not the perfect solution but If you are desperate, I managed to revive a flattened file from the corrupt layered Photoshop file by doing the following:

1. Copy file to the desktop

2. Open file in Preview

3. Export as a photoshop file from Preview

You should then (if you are lucky) be able to open the flattened file in Photoshop.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2014 Jan 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I ran into this same problem this morning.  I ran a Google search on the error message and came up with some clues from someone who had pasted pieces into layers that exceeded the Photoshop 30,000 pixel limit.  The image pieces I had copied into layers on my new file extended past the pasteboard and weren't readily visible unless you selected with Command-T (Mac).  This was causing my headache.

When I enlarged my canvas to 30,000 pixels I could see the "invisible" parts of my components were larger than the pixel limit.  Cropping everything to the file's pasteboard size allowed me to save and then re-open the file -- multiple times with no troubles and no need to lose my layers.

Hope this is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines