Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

dirt in screen

Mar 31, 2012 3:13 PM

I know this isn't a Pro question, but I don't know where else to post it, and maybe someone can help. I have a large 50" plasma screen. I recently moved it and a fragment of dirt dropped down between the plasma display and the transparent front cover, obscuring about 9 pixels of display. I flicked the cover with my fingernail and the bit of dirt dropped down about 7" where it has stuck. Has anyone any ideas how to move it or remove it?  I'm reluctant to dissemble the whole unit, even supposing that is possible. Would it be possible?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 31, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

>plasma display and the transparent front cover

Are you able to determine how the front cover is attached?

Does the product manual say anything about removing the cover?

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 1, 2012 6:05 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Is there any opening to slip in the tube from a compressed air can and possibly blow it away?

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 1, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Is it under warranty?

If the intruding fragment(s) are too large to have been introduced through the

ventilation grill, then they may have already been present inside the cabinet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

since dirt fell 'down' from top, try turning it upside down and tap it gently but firmly on a hard floor....see if the dirt will be back " UP " ...see if it stays there when you turn right side up again...

??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

yeah, banging on it if dirt fell DOWN ...might just lodge the dirt more DOWN into space where it gets lodged in more tightly. Since it fell DOWN to begin with, I was thinking that turning it upside down and tapping it.. might make it fall UP ( if you get my drift ?? )

since its so heavy you might try putting some truss up and a few chain motors ( 3 chain motors that can carry the weight of 2 tons each, will give you the ability to lift 6 tons , to give you idea about how to order what you need )

http://www.seefactor.com/equipment.html

excerpt from link found in " equipment "

JAMES THOMAS ENGINEERING

GP 12x12

GP 20x20

PRE-RIG

Super Truss

Moving Light Truss

Circle Truss

1 Ton Tower Systems

2 Ton Tower Systems

Roof Systems

good luck !

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 2, 2012 4:14 PM   in reply to able123

a mote of dust.gif

click me

Too flippant?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:51 PM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

no Joe, that wasnt flippant, and was nice to hear from you.

I try to sometimes ( but not always, especially when snakes or some other humorous thing comes into my head from nowhere ) to pass along some film making reference to problems people have. links to vendors, editing houses, whatever... but thats just me.

my own suggestion to use chain motors and truss to lift up such a heavy plasma tv was in itself a joke ...but in reality might give the poster some idea about how to deal with screens ( even in big venues like rock and roll shows, media events etc ).. when they are indeed very heavy etc.

For example, if the plasma screen is in a house and not in madison square garden, you might lift the tv with some mechanical " help ".... using whatever you can fit into the space for a mechanical "advantage".  You might use a couple of small hydraulic jacks.. a sling or two, and a goalpost between the jacks... whatever... and raise it off the " wall " where its attached , and then turn it around and tap it and so on... or else maybe get a couple friends to help you get it off the wall.. and do it manually... but being a " ton " .. that gets into mechanical advantage for a man my age...as I am not that strong... hence my suggestion which was just as stupid as yours, but at least linked to a real place to deal with real problems making movies etc.

We just have a different mind set about how to " help" people... mine is to share real problem solving with jokes and fun, while yours it to help people sharing real problems with jokes and fun.

When you look at the difference between me and you , there is none. Its just our experience that might be different. good luck !

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 4, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to able123

.. hence my suggestion which was just as stupid as yours, but at least linked to a real place to deal with real problems making movies etc.

I'm not sure what that means.  I thought compressed air and a warranty check were valid suggestions.

We just have a different mind set about how to " help" people... mine is to share real problem solving with jokes and fun, while yours it to help people sharing real problems with jokes and fun.

I thought the Lounge was the proper place for a couple of bad puns

based on the OP's problem and username.

That's all it was. Nothing more.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 9:46 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

My experience with TVs is that by removing the screws you'll have the ability to remove the black plastic casing, but that shouldn't affect the TV's stability on the wall... in fact, I would be shocked if the wall mount relied on those screws you mentioned to hold the weight of the TV. Now, whether or not the front protective screen will come off too, that's a different question, but I'd think you should be quite safe to remove the screws holding on the plastic cover with it still mounted on the wall.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 5:29 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Tim,

How about using a suction cup (sort of like glazers use to handle glass), and sucking out that plastic sheet, just enough to let the detritus fall to the bottom?

Good luck, and at least it's not a bunch of "dead pixels." Had that on an LCD TV, and spent several days, trying to "clean" the spot, only to notice, when viewed from the side, that it was dead pixels, and not a spot.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 8:42 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Tim,

Please let us know what does work for you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 10:04 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

just had a cool idea...

blow up a baloon. put on a wool sweater...rub baloon on your sweater for one minute vigorously....put baloon over dirt on screen....move baloon "up" and let the static electricity magically move the dirt out of your picture area !!!!

ps. do NOT let baloon touch a dogs wet nose while fully charged !

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 10, 2012 5:47 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Nice!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Tim,

I will say a prayer for your dog " sparky ". I am so sorry to hear of his demise. He is probably in heaven now chasing lightening bolts ....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 1:59 PM   in reply to able123

sparky.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 11, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to able123

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Joe,

hehe... sparky has a real nose for power distribution .... with a safety factor of 10 amps per 1000 watts...he can instantly tell you what you need for power distribution on any film job, what cable size ( 2ought , 4ought, etc ) and lengths, how many legs at X amount of amps per leg, to various stage boxes and bull switches, and so on....he is an amazing doggy...but now we have to get his info from prayer and divine intervention, sadly.

Or you can hire a gaffer I guess.

they often wear red neck scarves ( like old west cowboys ) and have an ear ring in their left ear, so they are easy to spot on the streets.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 5:53 PM   in reply to able123

and have an ear ring in their left ear...

Were I working with electricity, I think that I would abstain from any metallic body piercings. Of course, I do not work with electricity, and I still abstain, so maybe that is not a good enough reason. Still, I do not want anything, that will attract electricity, beyond my sweaty brow.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 7:25 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I agree whole heartedly... you know how you can put your tongue across the top of a 9 volt battery to see if it is still " good " ?  It is highly recommended NOT to use your tongue to see if all the legs of the 600 amp generator are " hot ".  a good rule of thumb.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to able123

Yes, I can imagine that a 9V battery would be like Kryptonite to Superman, where this guy is concerned.

Piercings.png

I'll bet that he's not a Gaffer!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

what are those things on him ??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to able123

Metal rings - serious piercings. Now I see why the worldwide shortage of stainless steel - he bought it all.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to Tim Flippance

YIPEE !  GOOD GOING !

I hope this doesnt mean you need to use duct tape to put plastic cover back in place ??

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 12:07 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Tim,

As there were no set requirements that you follow every step, of any operation, success is all that counts!!!!

Still sorry about Sparky though...

Happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to able123

Well, if Tim DOES need gaffer's tape, he can take heart that Permacel (really good tape) comes in various colors, so he should be able to get a near match with the bezel of the monitor. If not, then he could really "trick up his rig" with one of these: http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/safety/warning-tapes/warnings/reflec tive-safety-warning-tape-tape-applicator

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points