• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I keep my existing email provider?

Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2012 Apr 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be launching my first site in a few weeks and I want to make sure I'm understanding the DNS transfer and how it relates to email.

I plan to transfer my client's domain name to Buiness Cataylst upon launch. The main reason being that using url forward from the current DNS doesn't allow for the page titles to transfer correctly and if I use the URL masking option, the real web address doesn't appear in the address bar. (my client frequently copies and pastes individual page links to their clients, so masking is not an option). So, a DNS switch is a must. The hitch is that they want to keep using their mail as-is. Will switching the DNS to BC effect their email in any way? Do I need to do something in the BC admin to ensure there will be no email interruption or loss? Should(must) their email be run through BC if their url is housed here?

Please let me know if this is enough info. Again, I'm a total newbie.

TOPICS
Going live

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 14, 2012 Apr 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there,

You do not transfer the domain name to BC. Your domain host keeps the domain name. You either choose to direct all traffic to your Business Catalyst site and use BC emails or like in your case all you want to do is point the web traffic to your Business Catalyst site.

You do not need to do anything crazy like masking, or strange DNS stuff to hide page titles (which I do not get anyway).

All you need to do is change the A record to point to the BC details and then in the BC domain manager say your using external.

Here is the going live guide:

http://kb.worldsecuresystems.com/846/cpsid_84622.html?bc-partner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In addition to what Liam said, here is another useful document on this - http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-1741

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines