Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

where the heck is the creation date?

Apr 14, 2012 4:57 PM

Tags: #metadata #exif #lr4 #coolpix_900 #coolpix_995 #capture_date

Hi all,

I've reached the end of my (not very extensive anyway) wits...

I am exporting jpeg taken with acient cameras such as the Coolpix 900 and 995.

Of course, LR 4 is not writing the capture dates, so I started investigating what was going on.

So here is the situation:

1. I can see the capture dates in LR gallery top left above the image (key i) but

2. No capture dates on the metadata panels to the right, and

3. No capture dates when opening the original files either with Exifviewer or Jeffrey's online viewer.

???

Where is LR getting the capture date from??

And, can I grab these and reinject them somewhere for exporting?

I'd like to, eventually, use the capture dates as part of the exported jpeg names (using A Better Finder Attributes or any PC equivalent)

Can anyone help me please!

mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 10:01 PM   in reply to uimike54

Can you upload a sample file?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 14, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to uimike54

LR 3 and 4 are buggy when handling images whose metadata don't have capture dates (EXIF:DateTimeOriginal).  For such files, the date/time shown next to the Library thumbnails is not the capture date -- it is the date-created of the file (as set by Windows or Mac OS). 

In order to get a capture date stored in the original file or in exported versions, you'll need to give the command Medata > Edit Capture Time.  Often, all you need to do is select all the photos that don't have a capture time, do Edit Capture Time, and then click Change All, and the photos will now have their capture time set to the time the file's last-modified time.  However, I strongly recommend that you take a backup of these photos first, since Edit Capture Time can't be undone within LR.

See this feedback topic for more information:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/inconsistent_dat es_for_files_missing_date_time_metadata

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points