Skip navigation
Web Sage
Currently Being Moderated

Changing domains

Apr 15, 2012 1:40 PM

Greetings.

I am preparing to change my Web site's domain -- from websage.us to sagelaw.us

I am trying to figure out the best way of going about this on my Dreamweaver CS5.5. In particular, do I have to worry about updating all of the internal, relative URLs on my site?

Also, in some cases I use absolute URLs on my Web site (for newsletter templates, when a relative URL would not work). What is the best way of updating all of these URLs?

And if anyone out there uses GoDaddy, could you tell me how to redirect Web traffic from the old domain to the new?

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 15, 2012 9:53 PM   in reply to Web Sage

Dreamweaver is a very powerful tool and is built in with comprehensive set of features to accomplish this task.

You need not really worry about relative URL's unless you have some .htaccess/ similar server-side configuration where you've modified certain aspects of how your server renders these files on WWW

For absolute URL's, open Dreamweaver, Site > Check Links Sitewide

This will bring up Link Checker on DW. You could filter the links to show broken links, External links or Orphaned files. Sort it by 'External Links'. You'll be able to see all external links which are absolute URL's as you've mentioned in your post. You could just click on the URL and modify it to the new URL for your external absolute URL.

GoDaddy - you need to decide if your redirect is a Permanent one or a Temporary one. If it is permanent, you'll be doing a 301 redirect, notifying of all search engines and hosts that your old domain has permanently moved to the new one. If its a temporary one, you'll be doing a 302 redirect, notifying that this is only a temporary redirect. Either way, this link should help you: http://support.godaddy.com/help/article/5120

Let us know how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Apr 30, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Web Sage

Cheers. All the best.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This