Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is premiere cs6 going to remove this great feature

Apr 13, 2012 5:40 AM

Why is premiere cs6 and AE cs6 going to remove the great feature of allowing video to be worked on in Photoshop and then bringing in the psd as footage into premiere or AE to continue your edit. CS6 will no longer support this and we must render out a video from Photoshop then import the new video itself.

See http://www.video2brain.com/en/videos-13091.htm at the end

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 7:01 AM   in reply to dave rogers123

I'm sure there was a reason it was eliminated...maybe not many people used it, and Adobe tossed it to keep the code cleaned...? I never used it personally, not sure if I ever would have needed to (I prefer to import PSD into After Effects and do image animation there instead).

Sorry you're losing a feature that you used. Maybe an Adobe rep can give you an exact reason why it's gone.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to dave rogers123

Premiere's integration with the other Adobe programs is a key selling point. It does seem odd to force rendering to AVI files as opposed to accepting the native PSD video files. I never used this feature but for those who do PP CS 6.0 might be a big let down.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to medeamajic

I haven't used the PS animation much either, But how about bringing the psd file into Pr as individual layers, and then animating them? Does PS have any animation functions that Pr lacks?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to Jerry Klaimon

Jerry.K,

That has always been my workflow.

I have not fully explored PS-Extended's capabilities, but from what I see, they are fairly limited, compared to those in PrPro.

Hunt

PS - when I first read the post, my heart lept into my throat, as I thought that the Import_As_Sequence for a Layered PSD, was being removed from PrPro. That would be a horrible blunder, IMHO.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to dave rogers123

Is a still image sequence not a suitable option? Editors have been doing this for years. Sort of like old school film editing

Again I reiterate that I did not use this feature and barely understood it existed so I'm not saying "you don't need it" but rather just trying to help you around the loss of this function.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to dave rogers123

Photoshop changed a lot about how it works in CS6. We didn't have time to adapt all of our integration features to catch up to the changes, so we had to remove the feature for now rather than have it be broken.

We are working on getting the integration between Photoshop and the video applications to a better place as soon as we can.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

This is an example of what builds Adobe credibility. A frank, no-fuss explanation of why things are as they are. It's nice when there is an optimistic future, but even when it is not to be, I like openness.

That in addition to Todd's extraordinary effectiveness and helpfulness.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 2:08 PM   in reply to dave rogers123

MY warning is that the "Dynamic Link" function has a better intergration that the current offering in 5.5 .. especially for multi-processors.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points