Skip navigation
notfromnebraska
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player is not being recognized anywhere

Apr 13, 2012 2:01 PM

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Flash player repeatedly today, to no avail. I have deleted the files in C:/Windows/system32/Macromedia/Flash, %appdata%/Macromedia/Flash Player, and %appdata%/Adobe/Flash Player. I have tried the regular installer as well as the firewall/proxy version. All of the installations have reported complete success.

I use 32-bit Windows 7 and Firefox 11.0. I have been trying to install Flash Player version 11.2.202.233 (though if the firewall/proxy version is a different one, I've tried that too).

If I am on a page with an embedded YouTube video or Flash game or such, that Flash item will not load, telling me I need to have the Flash plugin. (Oddly, I can watch YouTube videos on their actual YouTube page. I do not know why.) When I go to the pages on adobe.com that check the version of Flash I am using, they do not show me the version. But they also do not show an error message. It's just a grey box. When I go to about:plugins, Flash is not listed anywhere.

All of the above is also true for my Internet Explorer, version 9.0.6. (If I can only get this fixed for Firefox, though, I guess I'd be okay with that.)

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 13, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to notfromnebraska

hmm, lets start by listing out the contents of c:\windows\system32\macromed\flash.  In addition, can you also paste the contents of your flashinstall.log file (inside of that folder).

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 13, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to notfromnebraska

Thanks for posting this info, I'm going to foward it along to our installer team.  My hunch is you're running into a permissions issue but I'll let you know what they say.  In the meantime, try going through the steps listed in this FAQ.  However, at the end do a uninstall and install of Flash Player again.

How do I fix Windows permission problems with Flash Player?

If it still fails, try installing from these files:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win /install_flash_player_11_active_x_32bit.msi

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win /install_flash_player_11_plugin_32bit.msi

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,455 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Apr 13, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

Question for you, in your statement

But they also do not show an error message. It's just a grey box. When I go to about:plugins, Flash is not listed anywhere.

if you right click on the grey box, do you get the Flash Player context menu?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 7:52 PM   in reply to notfromnebraska

notfromnebraska wrote:

Folder contents:

Flash32_11_2_202_233.ocx

FlashInstall.log

flashplayer.xpt

FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe

FlashUtil32_11_2_202_233_ActiveX.dll

FlashUtil32_11_2_202_233_ActiveX.exe

FlashUtil32_11_2_202_233_Plugin.exe

mms.cfg

MPSWF32_11_2_202_233.dll

Is that correct? The last file should be NPSWF32_11_2_202_233.dll

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 12:41 AM   in reply to notfromnebraska

Can you again try a clean install, as described in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/928315

After you restarted Windows, go to C:\Windows\system32 and check that the following files have been removed

• FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl
    • FlashPlayerApp.exe
    • FlashPlayerInstaller.exe

Next download and run the installers from http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-pla yer-windows.html#Install_in_a_firewall_proxy_server_environment

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points