Skip navigation
kymarto123
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop .RAW save dialog bug?

Apr 15, 2012 6:23 AM

I opened some .NEF files and saved as .RAW. I note that each time the save dialog comes up, it is set for Macintosh. Isn't it supposed to "remember" my choice for PC, so that I don't have to change the button at every save?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to kymarto123

Are you actually saving a file in Photoshop as "Photoshop Raw"? 

If so, you should understand that a "Photoshop Raw" file has nothing to do with digital raw capture nor digital photography.

The "Photoshop  Raw" format is an old format from way before digital photoography became available.  99.99999999% of all users will never have a need for a file in such format and should never save a file in that format.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 15, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to station_one

station_one wrote:

Are you actually saving a file in Photoshop as "Photoshop Raw"? 

If so, you should understand that a "Photoshop Raw" file has nothing to do with digital raw capture nor digital photography.

The "Photoshop  Raw" format is an old format from way before digital photoography became available.  99.99999999% of all users will never have a need for a file in such format and should never save a file in that format.

I would have estimated it at 99.999999% myself. 

In all seriousness, station_one is right on.  What are you trying to accomplish?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,455 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 2:00 AM   in reply to kymarto123

The functionality is there but not where you were looking...

Open your NEFs into the Camera Raw dialog, but rather than open them into Photoshop choose the Save Files button.   In the dialog that opens choose the DNG format.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 2:19 AM   in reply to kymarto123

kymarto123 wrote:

…Why, BTW, does PS not include the DNG converter in the main program?…

The Adobe DNG Converter gets three to four orderly updates per year, in tandem with the regularly scheduled updates to Adobe Camera Raw.  It would be a hassle if Photoshop had to be updated that often.

Additionally, if you maintain both Photoshop and ACR always up to date, there's no need for the DNG Converter.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points