Skip navigation
Jeff Friedhoffer
Currently Being Moderated

Merge and Flatten Layers

Apr 15, 2012 2:07 PM

Tags: #merge #layers

I ran into problem with flattening layers.  I had a background layer and a curves layer.  When I tried to flatten the image or merge visible, the curves layer was not applied to the result.  Merge down worked.  After restarting PS6 flatten and merge worked

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Jeff Friedhoffer

Could ave been a percent view issue? Next time you see this, undo and try again, but view at 100% (Actual Pixels)

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,926 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to Jeff Friedhoffer

I can't comment on your particular situation without seeing the layer stack, but there have always been times when flaterning produces unexpected results.  The workaround is to use a Copy Merged layer at the top of the stack. (Shift Ctrl Alt e or Shift Cmd Opt e)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Jeff Friedhoffer

Were you viewing at less than Actual Pixels?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 4:36 PM   in reply to charles badland

In some cases (usually adjusting over a detailed, high contrast image) Merge and Flatten can look markedly different when combining the adjustment layer and background. But when viewed at Actual Pixels (100%) you should see no difference.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 4:49 PM   in reply to Jeff Friedhoffer

Jeff,

When you get a chance, try to repeat it at differing percent views.

100% view (that is Actual Pixels) means that every ONE pixel in your image is being represented with ONE monitor pixel. It is the best way to see the actual adjustments ( or sharpening or effects, or whatever) Anything less than that will be subject to view interpolation issues.

The problem is, with multi megapixel images, you can't see the whole image on your monitor at 100%. It will be too big!

Now whydo  Flatten and Merge show different previews? That is the question.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 11:17 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

that problem didnt occur in photoshop CS5 I believe, so I think its a bug in cs6!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points