Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Catalyst CS5

Apr 16, 2012 7:12 AM

When I try to create a FC app with Illustrator, I am frequently advised that the file has too many layers.

In some cases I can not reduce the number of layers. Complex circuitry design with lots of possibilities for each line.

Do the new versions of Flash Catalyst (CS6 for instance)  have the capability to support Illustrator files with more layers?

Best regards

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 19, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to João Silva

Flash Catalyst has been discontinued. There will not be a Flash Catalyst CS6 version. Flash Catalyst CS5.5 is the last version.

You are going to have to import the file in stages and reassemble it with Flash Catalyst to overcome the issue.

Chris Griffith

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:52 AM   in reply to João Silva

Flash Catalyst will be in any future version of the Creative Suite.

In terms of replacement... For Flex development there really is no replacement. The best you can do it use the current version and import it into Flash Builder. Round trip editting was broken with the 4.6 release of Flash Builder. For prototyping, you can review a whole host of alternatives. Some are better than others, but a lot depends on what you are prototyping.

As to your import issue, there is no merge. Import each cluster into Flash Catalyst, then you can select all the elements and create a Custom Component. This will help in managing it as to work with it.

Realize, if your illustration is that complex, you may have rendering and performance issues.

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 3:39 AM   in reply to Chris W. Griffith

Hello Chris,

Thank you for answering, there's one thing I still don't understand.

I have creative cloud now, and I work on illustrator to design UI and pass it to the developer who creates the interactivity. Is this method of work no longer possible with any Adobe product? e.g. draw the whole page with buttons and scroll bar, then program the buttons and the scroll bar to do what they should do.

Many thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to tessa.santoni

The question is in what development language is the developer working in? If it is Flex, then you can keep on using Flash Catalyst. It just won't be updated. If you are migrating to the web stack (ie: HTML/CSS/JS), then your options are limited. Fireworks does support some CSS3 attribute extraction, but there is nothing as integrated as the FC-FB tool chain.

Web development is going to require more work for both the designer and the developer.

Chris

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points