Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Using Elements 10 with iPhoto

Jan 10, 2012 7:01 AM

I have always used iPhoto 11  on my iMac for my photo editing and organising, but have decided to broaden my editing/organising opportunities by purchasing Elements 10, which I have just loaded successfully.

However, when I right click a photo in iPhoto 11 and select 'Edit in external editor' - although it opens up the Elements 10 workspace, the selected photo doesn't appear.

I've also tried changing in iPhoto's preferences (Advanced) to using Elements 10. Again, when editing is selected in iPhoto it opens up the Elements 10 workspace but not the photo.

Any idea what's going wrong here? An alternative is to drag & drop from iPhoto to Elements 10 editing workspace - which DOES work, but I shouldn't have to do that, should I ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 10, 2012 8:17 AM   in reply to Rekrab999

You probably set the welcome screen as your external editor:

http://barbarabrundage.com/2011/10/05/adobe-hide-and-seek-setting-pse- 10-as-external-editor/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 1:54 AM   in reply to Rekrab999

I have the same problem.  I am unable to open a photo from my iphoto library to open for editing in elements 10.  I have a Mac Pro and use Lion.  I have followed the above hide and seek link but have had no success.  Can you be more explicit with the instructions specically for a Mac?  My previous elements was 6 and it was so easy to open external editor using elements 6.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:55 AM   in reply to jude309

Sorry, but I don't understand, jude309. Those instructions are for a mac with the regular (not app store version) of PSE. What exactly are you having trouble with?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 5:58 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Hi Barbara B.  Ok, when I set elements 10 as the designated external photo editor when clicking on an image in iphoto the file opens up in elements 10 but show nothing.  I followed your instructions to go to the support files and click on elements editor there which I did but all it does is open up elements 10  it still doesnt make the external editor open up the photo in elements 10.  So frustrating as it was so easy with the elements 6!  Is this any clearer?

I do hope you can give me a step by step instruction.  I seem to have mastered the editing bit and am very pleased with the results but would like it to be quicke and easier to access from iphoto.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 6:37 AM   in reply to jude309

No, that doesn't sound right at all. How are you sending the photos from iphoto?

EDIT Also check that your new selection stuck. Sometimes the menu goes back to what was chosen before.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Hi Barbara B.  I have checked that the new selection stuck and it has but still won't  open a jpeg from iphoto to elements editor.  Again elements editor does open up but with nothing in it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to jude309

How are you sending the photos?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 6:51 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

I right click on a photo in iphoto and choose edit in external editor, this is what I used to do with elements 6

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:30 AM   in reply to jude309

Sorry, forgot to ask which version of iphoto. And can you post a screenshot of the preference window where you set the external editor? If you don't know how to do this, press command+shift+4 and drag over what you want to capture. The screenshot will appear on your desktop. Then come to the forum (can't use email for this) and use the camera button above the message composition area to upload it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

I have iphoto 11 9.2.3  updated yesterday.Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 15.37.46.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:55 AM   in reply to jude309

Hmm, yes, you do have it set up correctly and it's working fine for me with the same version of iphoto. Does this happen with all images or only some of them?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 8:05 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

It does seem to be happening  with all the images I try.  Thanks for your patience in trying to resolve this problem.  It is a bit of a mystery.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to jude309

At this point, I would try going to your username>library>preferences and deleting com.apple.iPhoto.plist. You'll have to re-enter your choices in the iphoto preferences again after this, but it won't affect your library or your tags.

If you use lion, this library is hidden. To see it, in the Finder, click the Go menu and hold down the option key. It will appear in the list below the little house for your user account.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Willing to give that a go but no idea where I find my username? (ashamed to say)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to jude309

It's the name of your account on your computer:

Screen Shot 2012-04-13 at 1.13.38 PM.png

Whatever is next to the little house icon is your username.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Hi Barbara,

Sorry been offline over the weekend.  I tried the above but have been unable to find username/library/and deleting com.apple etc... so as yet have not been able to give this possible solution a try.

What seems to be happening now is that when I right click edit in external editor on iphoto I just end up with a duplicate of the picture so the mystery thickens.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to jude309

What version of OS X are you using?

The duplication of your file is normal behavior for the current version of iphoto. Most people consider it a bug, but apple evidently does not.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

OS X 10.7.3

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to jude309

To find the library you will need to use the directions in my previous post:

If you use lion, this library is hidden. To see it, in the Finder, click the Go menu and hold down the option key. It will appear in the list below the little house for your user account.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 8:49 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Bi Barbara B.

I did all that, deleted the .com.apple plist etc  but I am sorry to say that the problem remains the same.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:45 AM   in reply to jude309

I have just been reading this thread as I am having exactly the same problem. Then I went to another forum  (kb2.adobe.com/cps/403/kb403605.html) and read this about setting the preferences in iphoto for the external editor

"Elements 10: Applications/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Support Files/Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor" . This sorted it for me as I was going to the wrong Adobe Photoshop Elements Editor. Only problem I have now is working out how to resave the photos back into iphoto......

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to ValG52

Set preferences>on first save to save over the existing file and don't make any changes to format or name and iphoto will keep your latest edited version + original. Or save the images to the desktop and reimport the edited image as a new image.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:13 AM   in reply to ValG52

I went to the same forum and it worked for me too.  I now want to know how to save my raw file and my edited jpeg to iphoto.  I follow Barbara B's advice and give that a go.  Thanks Barbara B.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to jude309

If you're editing raw files, you will have to reimport them, because you're changing the format in PSE when you create jpegs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 11:38 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

If I import the files directly into iphoto do they remain in raw until I edit in PSE 10.  If it does then presumably I can make a copy of the raw files and edit the copies in PSE while the original remains in raw in iphoto? I am so new to shooting in Raw that I find it all very confusing despite watching the tutorial videos.  I am trialing Lightroom at the moment but am struggling with the organising of files there too.  I don't seem to have a problem with the actual editing and am getting good results it is the storage of the files that seems to be more complicated.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 4:47 AM   in reply to jude309

Barbara B, another question you might be able to help me with.  Can I open the following editor (see screen shot) for photos that are not raw or is this just for raw processing?  I like the features on this and want to use it when opening jpegs as well but how do I open it?  When I choose PSE as external editor it goes straight to the Full and Quick style editing page unless I am opening raw files.

Below is what I want to open even with jpegs.

Screen Shot 2012-04-25 at 12.39.29.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to jude309

See your other thread. For iphoto images you will need to export them first to be able do this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Thank you very much Barbara B.  That works and just what I wanted.  I don't seem to be able to open more than one file in camera raw format?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to jude309

Another question for you Barbara B.  I seem to be mastering the new Photoshop elements through much trial and error and am now coming to grips with the organizer.  I am a little baffled by the conversion process. 

Having imported my images from the organizer into elements 10 editing, I edit and then save as a jpeg to a folder on my hardrive before bringing them back to the organizer as jpegs?  The folder on the hard drive then has a raw  (CR2) version file, a XMP file and the converted jpeg.  Do I have to keep the raw and XMP files and if I do delete them presumably I no longer have the option to re edit the raw version?  What exactly does the XMP file do anyway?  What process do you recommend when bringing in new raw image files?

Look forward to your advice.

Jude

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to jude309

If you are using organizer you can just save the jpg as a version. Be sure to turn on Save As a Version and Include in Organizer in the Save As window. No need to go the desktop. I would never delete your raw files. The XMP file contains the settings you used for your raw conversion. If you are using organizer, import new raw files by using file>get photos>from files and folders or by launching the adobe photo downloader.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Thanks Barbara B, as usual very helpful.  From these screen shots can you tell if I have done this correctly as per your instructions ?  Is it best to store the jpegs only in the elements organizer? and keep the raw and XMP files on the hard drive or should they always be together?

Screen Shot 2012-05-10 at 16.11.01.png

Screen Shot 2012-05-10 at 16.18.20.png

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 9:42 AM   in reply to jude309

and keep the raw and XMP files on the hard drive or should they always be together?

Don't understand what you're asking here, sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 10:07 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Not surprised, I didn't explain it very well and it's probably a rather stupid question.  Basically do the jpeg, raw and XMP files always need to say in the same folder together?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to jude309

If you make a version you have no choice. The version only exists as a set of instructions on how to process the image until you need it for something (this saves a lot of space). You can't separate versions from the original photo.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2012 12:04 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Thank you that has made things much clearer. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Dear Barbara,

You are a miracle worker!! I just went from PC to Mac and installed PSE 10. I was having the same problem of the picture not appearing in the editor. I spent many hours with nice, caring Apple employees to remedy this, to no avail. I followed your instructions of going into the Support files and clicking on the PSE editor there and it worked!!!

Thanks so much,

Susan B

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points