• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF files on the Internet won't open...thanks to new Adobe update?

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2012 Apr 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running OS 10.6.8 on a MacBook Pro. I installed Adobe Reader 10.1.3 and now can't open any pdf files on the Internet.  Before I spend $39 calling an Adobe tech, I wonder if anyone can help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using Firefox, Please try launching Firefox in 32 bit modeWe don't support firefox in 64-bit mode

->Go to Applications

->Command click Firefox app to open the context menu

->Choose Get Info Check ‘Open in 32-bit mode’

Launch Firefox now and try to open a pdf. This should work

For Safari,

Please launch your Safari in 64 bit mode and then try viewing/printing the pdf. We don't support Safari 5.1 in 32-bit mode.

->Go to Applications

->Command click Safari app to open the context menu Choose Get Info

->UnCheck ‘Open in 32 bit mode’

Launch  now and try to open a pdf. This should work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply! But...

I followed your instructions, went to my applications folder,

command-clicked the Safari application but...nothing happened. So I could

not find or open the "context menu" and therefore could not into "Get

Info." ...Am I doing something wrong? Help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could simply select your application and click Command + i. This should open the Info dialog for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the follow up. You're advise to select the application and

click Command + i got the Info window open, but I cannot find any location

or box that allows me to uncheck ‘Open in 32 bit mode.’ I tried them all:

"More Info,' "Name & Extension," "Preview," and 'Sharing & Permissions."

Aside from the basic "General" page that's all there are. ...Any other

suggestions before I have to wait two hours for tech support and get

charged for a problem that's Adobe's? I appreciate your help.;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem since latest Adobe update. I tried checking 32-bit in Firefox but it did not solve the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally went to a genius at the "Genius Bar." He confirmed that (a) it's

an Adobe issue and has nothing with Safari or Mac (and probably not Firefox

either, and (a) he solved it in 5 minutes. (Not sure what he did--I'm

better at driving cars than repairing them. ...:-) So if you are using a

Mac, I recommend that you do the same. My best...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yachna:  Thank you for your post of April, 18, 2012.  You wrote:

"If you are using Firefox, Please try launching Firefox in 32 bit modeWe don't support firefox in 64-bit mode

->Go to Applications

->Command click Firefox app to open the context menu

->Choose Get Info Check ‘Open in 32-bit mode’

Launch Firefox now and try to open a pdf. This should work

For Safari,

Please launch your Safari in 64 bit mode and then try viewing/printing the pdf. We don't support Safari 5.1 in 32-bit mode.

->Go to Applications

->Command click Safari app to open the context menu Choose Get Info

->UnCheck ‘Open in 32 bit mode’

Launch  now and try to open a pdf. This should work"

In my case, the problem occured only when I used Firefox.  I followed your advice in that regard and retried opening several pdf's that previously would not display.  All did display in 32-bit mode for FireFox.    Your statement that "We don't support Firefox in 64-bit mode."  and your self-description as "Emploee" lead me to think that you are an Adobe employee.  I'm new to all this, so sorry if my inference about who you are is wrong.  But if it is correct, then your advice would seem to be from-the-source-credible.  I hope that in the future, Adobe will support Firefox in 64-bit mode. 

One question though:  If, as you state, Adobe does not support Safari 5.1 in 64-bit mode,  why haven't I had the same problem displaying pdf's with version 5.1.5 Safari?  Only guess I can make at that is that as of Safari 5.1.5 (vs. Safari 5.1), Adobe does support Safari in 64-bit mode.  Anyway, thank you!  And I hope that in my newness to all this, I haven't confused things too badly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yachna wrote:

We don't support firefox in 64-bit mode.

We don't support Safari 5.1 in 32-bit mode.

Did the Adobe Acrobat plugin formerly support these browsers?  Now the latest update causes users to change unrelated system settings just so they can still view PDFs when they click on links to PDF files.  A nightmare for IT management.

Also note that after this update, you cannot print PDFs from Safari by clicking the usual File->Print.  Most people are better off using the built-in PDF viewers of the browser (in Chrome or Safari), or http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/, which seems to work better than the Adobe plugin itself.

wichita.PNG

From Princeton University's "Issues and Quirks" page:

princeton.PNG

Please fix these aparent problems in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2012 Jun 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I cannot open any PDF's online and am using Windows 7. I have repaired the installation and restarted the computer and they still won't open. I keep getting a Runtime error message and I am so disgusted with this program right now!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Just encountered this problem - switch to google CHROME as your browser.  Problem solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same Mac book Pro OS X 10.6.8 and since the last update of Adobe Reader I am unable to view any documents with (application/pdf object) at the end of the name. I am using Firefox as my browser however the problem does not seem confined to my browser. As a student studying Distance Education this is proving to be quite a problem. I couldn't open my marked assignment posted back to me on Monday. I also am having trouble opening lots of readings for my course that just open to a blank page.

What is the solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From your IE9 browser, Tools->Internet Options->Advanced. Scroll down to the security section and remove the check from the 'Do not save encrypted pages to disk'. This solved the issue for me and hopefully it will for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answer is simple: DISABLE THE PLUG-IN.

Go to TOOLS

Click ADD-ON MANAGER

Click the DISABLE button for the Adobe Acrobate NPAPI Plug-In, Version 10.1.3

VOILA: PDFs open perfectly as they did before you spent all that time and effort to download an app that is supposed to help, but in fact does the opposite.

Hope this helps!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oliverka:

I tried that and it did not work at all. I cannot open PDF's at all using Firefox 12.0 for mac and Safari too. I did not cahange any settings. Must be an update. What is the next step???

I uninstalled Adobe Reader 2 times. Nothing. I changed the Preferences in Firefox to ASK all the time no good. went back to Reader as the default Adobe Acrobat FDF Doc Setting?

So frustrating!!!! Please help me anyone I really need to use the PDF's on the Web for Real Estate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2012 Apr 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If on a Mac use CHROME from GOOGLE as your browser and it will solve the

problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 30, 2012 Apr 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post at the borrom of the thread.  Basically, here are the steps that worked for us:

Go to the hard drive--

Then Library--

Then Internet Plugins.

At the top of the list are two Adobe plugins.

Delete those.  Restart the browser.

Hope it works for you.  Now my brother has the problem as well.  I hope someone at Adobe is reading these forums!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 28, 2012 Apr 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works!

I disabled the plug in and I can now view the PDF's.

Thank you so much.

Rhonda Creasey

Harrington Park P.S.

4647 7116

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted in another forum: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4352337

But here are the steps:

Go to the hard drive--

Then Library--

Then Internet Plugins.

Hope it works for you.  We contacted our university computer expert and he came up with these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my posts, but basically we did this:

Go to the hard drive--

Then Library--

Then Internet Plugins.

Hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines