Skip navigation
Phil J Rose
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 slow to refresh

Apr 16, 2012 9:27 AM

Tags: #refresh

Hi all!

I'm finding the CS6 beta really rather slow in some ways. I have a picture with an original image layer, a greyscale layer on top of that and some adjustment layers on top of that. If I turn on an off the visibility of any of those upper layers in the layers palette the display refreshes in horizontal lines, chunk ***** chunk across the screen. Takes about two seconds to totally refresh. CS5.5 is instant. Are others seeing this issue? Some things seem much faster but this is a big enough irritation to maybe be a deal breaker in terms of upgrading. Is this something that is unique to me of are others seeing this too?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 9:44 AM   in reply to Phil J Rose

Hi Phil

Can you tell me what type of system you are using, mac or pc, the OS, and the video card? You can also look at the  link below to ensure you have the correct video board. Go to the vendor for the video card and ensure you have the most recent video driver as well.

Pattie

What features use the GPU and how do I troubleshoot GPU issues?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to Phil J Rose

Glad it is working now.  If you have any other visual or processing issues, be sure to check for an updated video driver.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:54 AM   in reply to Phil J Rose

If you bump your memory devoted to photoshop up to 90% with 6 gig of RAM you will probably starve your computer to run other functions.

Should dial setting back so you have at least 2 gigs left for computer. 

Best bet is to add more RAM so you can devote a larger % to PS.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to Phil J Rose

My first computer had 64K!!!!

Most newer computers will take at least 16 gigs, and some to 128 gigs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to Phil J Rose

For AMD drivers, checkout this site: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

They have a program to automatically detect and install or you can go the manual method.

Regarding the memory setting-  For 32 bit, you should keep it down to about 70%, for 64 bit, 90% should be ok if you have a reasonable amount of memory.   You should be ok with 6 gig at 90%. If you start to see issues, just lower it a little.

Can you also cut and paste your system preferences here so I can take a look?

In Photoshop, go to HELP>System Info and copy everything above the serial number and paste in a post here for us to take a look-

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:44 PM   in reply to Phil J Rose

You should be able to use this link to the ATI driver page:

http://tinyurl.com/8x2xx62

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Pete, have you folks tested the 12.3 version with Photoshop?  I know several folks reported problems with that, which is why I suggested 12.2 to Phil in another thread.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hey Noel,

I'm not sure the latest test status with the version 12.3, what have you found with the driver so far?

I was just hoping to give the latest option available for his driver since Phil seemed to be having trouble finding it.

If you'd like to offer the 12.2 driver link as well to Phil in this thread feel free.

As long as Phil sees upgraded performance from it I'm happy!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to Phil J Rose

Phil, I think the Radeon you have will run 12.3 release from ATI fine..but you can roll back if you have to. I think the driver would give an error if it was not compatible and not install. I updated my PC graphic driver here a couple of days ago at Chris's recommendation. It cleared up some 3D problems I had and was a good update on the Radeon 4600 here for all applications I use. I also use the Topaz bundle and those work with 64 bit here just fine. I ran Topaz modules under CS 4 as well in 64 bit and 32 bit too..I have not tried CS6 under 32bit mode yet. You can use  the preferences in CS 6 to browse to the location where Topaz Plugins are located. CS 6 picked that up just fine and I left them in the CS 4 Adobe Folder where they were first installed.... I have been using and have tested most of the modules from Topaz and nary a problem that I have found yet...Good luck...

Mike T.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points