Skip navigation
candy_92
Currently Being Moderated

Blurry images when PDF is exported

Apr 15, 2012 10:45 PM

Tags: #problem #help #flash #mac #indesign #images #blurry

I'm making a style guide and my images were drawn in Flash CS5.
When I export them to png they're 72 dpi and when I import them into InDesign, the images are fine and clear until I export it as a PDF.

I have other images that were collected from the internet and they're fine and also the images I scanned in are fine and clear as well.

The pdf is only for screen use.

How do I fix this?

(I'm using a Mac btw)
Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 1:22 AM   in reply to candy_92

Blurry images in the PDF oftern indicate that the link was out of date or missing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:33 AM   in reply to candy_92

PNG can also be adversely affected by jpeg compression. Try exporting with no compression, or zip compression.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:54 AM   in reply to candy_92

I mean during export that you change the compression method. It's pretty unlikley that your .pngs are being downsampled, but the compression settings are separate and apply whether there is downsampling or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to candy_92

What version of ID are you using? Are you exporting to PDF (Print), in which case the compression settings are in a dropdown under the downsample fields, or are you exporting to PDF (Interactive), in which case it seems you have no option for anything other than jpeg compression?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 2:39 AM   in reply to candy_92

I'm out of ideas. maybe someone who has used a similar workflow has some thoughts.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 6:42 PM   in reply to candy_92

A sample pub would be nice. Linked images so they can be looked at as well. Zip the sample, put up on yousendit.com or dropbox.com and post a link.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 11:41 PM   in reply to candy_92

I think your expectations are too high. Your 72 ppi image has jagged edges, and they show. That's the way it is with 72ppi images.

I would make one recommendation, though, as far as changing settings. Use the High Quality Print preset rather than Press Quality as the basis for your export (compression seems to make no difference in image quality, but I'd change the methos to Zip for this to keep the file size down and not alter the image quality at all). Press Quality converts your color to CMYK, HQP leaves it unchanged and it looks a bit better.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to candy_92

And you will get a better on-screen representation if you do not alter the graphic's aspect. You've stretched the image to fit the space. The screen shot is your PDF and mine. The left one is mine, the right bear is yours. Both are inside Acrobat and displaying at 100%.

bear_shit.png

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points