Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Do LR editing operations commute?

Apr 16, 2012 6:36 PM

For example, is there a difference in result if I adjust the exposure slider then make a change in the tone curve vs if I do the same operations in the reverse order?  My suspicion based on instinct and casual observation is that some operations do commute, but most do not.  Can anyone shed more light on this?  Are there particular pairs of operations which produce important or dramatic differences depending on order?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to imagex ideas

According to what I've read, the Develop Pipeline is fixed and specific. The order in which the adjustments are applied is irrelevant. It is the final position of the sliders is the determining factor.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:43 PM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

Agreed, actually when working in the develop module Lightroom works with the original file and re-renders the file with every adjustment made and as Rikk says the adjustments are applied in a specific order. If you have made several changes to a particular setting e.g saturation, clarity, exposure it will render the net effect of each.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to imagex ideas

The predetermined order is not published. We can make guesses at the actual order but they are only guesses.

Whether you apply exposure as your first editing step or your last makes no difference. The rendering pipeline will apply it within a prescribed order.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to imagex ideas

As far as I am aware LR has not published the specific process order that it uses to render the final image. So the order you make the adjustments you wish to apply will not affect the final rendered image. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points