Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Position keyframes for titles not acting properly; keep moving backwards near end keyframe

Apr 16, 2012 9:11 AM

I have no clue what in teh world is going on here. i will set a keyframe in the beginning for the titles initial start point. Move ahead 2 seconds. Set a keyframe. Move the title to where I want it. Play it back, and then right before the end keyframe, the title will go the complete opposite direction if I have another keyframe ahead of it I want it to go to. So yeah, it moves back then moves forwards to the next keyframe. Please help me understand this lunacy.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 10:11 AM   in reply to VidNoob

Expand the view.  Make sure you don't have any unwanted keyframes in there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 3:16 PM   in reply to VidNoob

Your workflow description seems a bit odd.

You said that you set a keyframe then moved the title to where you wanted it.

Move ahead 2 seconds. Set a keyframe. Move the title to where I want it.

What you do for keyframes is set the initial keyframe for first position of the title.... then go to the next place in time and position the title to where you want it.  The keyframe will automatically set it self.

BTW: as a VideoNoob it may pay to wait a while before you start making the "lunacy" call. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 8:10 PM   in reply to VidNoob

I would actually suggest the opposite method.  Move the CTI to the position for the next keyframe, set that first, and then adjust the position.

It's how I've always done it and have never had an issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 8:34 PM   in reply to VidNoob

I did not see the video whenposted because it was "processing" and not available.

Try changing the key frame in question by right click on it  and use an "ease" of one sort or the other. (Probably Spatial)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2013 2:46 PM   in reply to VidNoob

Having recently encountered this issue, I searched the web for a solution and stumbled upon this thread, which to my surprise was not only left unanswered, but also seemed to be the only search result that was directly relevant to my problem.  Luckily, I was able to adapt some advice from a similar situation.  Since I finally discovered a solid method, I figured I would offer my knowledge to anyone else treading the same path as me.

I guess they call something like this a "wobbly" keyframe.   In After Effects, someone gave the advice to right click and change the temporal interpolation to LINEAR.  In premiere, I noticed that they were ALREADY linear, but then I recalled Shooternz post about a spatial ease.

• Highlight ALL the keyframes, right click, then select Spatial Interpolation and click on Linear.  This should solve the issue.  You can then add eases and such to meet your goals.

I knew from the beginning that it must have been an invisible knot in the bezier curves.  I pulled the bars in every direction, but all it did was tighten or loosen the knot, causing the motion to speed up or slow down, but it would always hit the knot and reverse before continuing forward. You know how Illustrator will create crazy-looking lines when you try to add too many points with strong curves?  Well the same logic applies to this, but Premiere has a much more difficult interface when dealing with bezier curves.  In other words, by getting rid of the extra curves instead of trying to fix them like you can in Illustrator, it fixes the problem much more easily.

I hope I helped to clarify the issue and help you understand the logic of what went wrong, so you can move on now and perhaps adapt this knowledge to future obstacles.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points