Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightweight laptop for Adobe Creative Suite 5 advice

Apr 15, 2012 12:10 AM

Tags: #new_laptop #lightweight

Hello,

I originally posted this in the 'Downloading, Installing, Setting Up > Discussions' forum and have been sent here to see if anyone may be able to help; I need some advice and guidence on buying a new laptop that will run Creative Suite 5 Design Premium. I have a desktop which I use for the majority of my design work, but I need something portable for tweaking and presenting whilst on the move.

The key thing is I need it to be lightweight as I have joint problems so preferably under 1.9kg (I know that usually the smaller then the less powerful) and with a good as possible battery life. I mainly use Photoshop, Illustrator and some InDesign, working to real size (usually under and up to A3, sometimes larger)

I've found two possibilities; can anyone guide me if either of these will run comfortably for what I need?

HP Pavilion dm4-2101ea £449

Featuring Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i3-2330M processor

4GB memory for top system performance

500 GB Hard Drive for storing all your digital files

35.5 cm (14.0") High-Definition LED-backlit BrightView Display

Intel® HD Graphics

Finished in Dark Umber, Brushed Aluminum

1 year, pick-up and return, warranty. Optional upgrade to 3 years accidental damage cover for peace of mind

Featuring Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Integrated Webcam & Microphone

Includes HP Entry Carrying Case & HP Wireless Mobile Mouse

Sony VAIO VPCSB4C5E (VAIO SB 13 series) £614

Configured

Intel®Core(TM)i5-2450M,2.50GHz

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium

320 GB Serial ATA (5400 rpm)

DVD disc drive

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3-SDRAM

33.7 cm LCD, 1366x768+webcam

No Wireless WAN

No Long-Life Battery

No security features

HD digital camera

Office 2010 Starter + Acrobat

No protection

McAfee Online Backup trial

No Imagination Studio Suite

Also Included

Backlight keyboard

AMD Radeon(TM) HD 6470M 512MB

English (QWERTY)

1 AC Adapter

USB 2.0 x2 + USB 3.0 x1

Wireless LAN (802.11abgn)

HDMI(TM) output

Bluetooth® 3.0

If the HP one will run the suite ok then I'll go for that one, as a little kinder on the budget. I've compared them myself but I'm not sure if the HP would be sufficient or if the sony would be wasting money when somethign cheaper will do the job? Though at the moment Sony are doing a deal for 8gb RAM for the inclusive price of 4gb, but only until Monday...

Any advice would be really appreciated, thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 9:01 PM   in reply to BrightEyes654

Go to HP's web site and you can customize the laptop to your needs and keep an eye on the cost as you add/subtract features. The thing to keep in mind is, forget about tech support, plan on paying someone local to fix it, or fix it yourself or buy new. As Tech support is no good in my eyes.

For me the price out weights the tech support other wise I would pick someone else.

If you need good tech support, then well, not much out there, maybe Dell, but I have seen laptops that break under normal or almost normal wear and tear. Their laptops must be sent in, but I guess tech support is OK. Never owned a Dell laptop, just seen friends with them.

I have heard rumors of bad tech support from Sony, but thats just rumors, so I can't say how good or bad they really are.

As for a lighter laptop, you could go with a solid state hard drive, they don't hold as much, but they are faster and much lighter than their counter parts.

Get as much ram as you can afford, you will be glad you did, when the time comes. I have already ran out of ram editing a video with 16 GB of ram, so you never have enough.

Anyway, good luck on your purchase, I am sure, you will enjoy it, which ever decision you make.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 1:20 AM   in reply to BrightEyes654

With a solid state drive, you may be able to go with a slimmer case on the laptop. Which would or should lighten the laptop. As long as you have an external drive that can hold your data, you should be fine with 128GB drive. But if you afford it go next size bigger. In the long run, it should pay. But with the external it isn't as necessary.

But I don't know all the uses you will have for the laptop. As you add programs, games, pictures, video's etc. it fills up quickly. It would be up to you on what needs to be on the internal drive and what can go on the external. Later on, you may want a second external just for back up purposes. When you loose your data, you will be glad you have a spare drive with the data.

Anyway, good luck...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to BrightEyes654

Lightweight would be a Mac but they only go to 8GB for Memory.

Use i7 processors.

You can easily run windows on it and have it configured that way as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points