• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader X 10.2.0, waiting for new MSI package

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to find anything out about the next yearly update of Adobe Reader.  There are supposed to be quarterly and yearly updates for Reader, but Adobe don't seem to be sticking to the schedule.

I need the next full MSI package to come out so that I can get updates out to my office PCs, as I have never been able to get AIPs to work but I can't seem to find anything on it, even beta.

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Only way we could get it to work at my office was to avoid the downloadable MSI.  We had to extract the MSI and associated install files from the EXE here:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/AdbeRdr1010_en_US.exe

Again, do not download the MSI.

Get the EXE and extract like so:

AdbeRdr1010_en_US.exe -nos_o"Reader10" -nos_ne

Funny, even though I specified "Reader10" it still prompted me for a directory.  But if you don't put anything there I think it just throws everything into

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2012 Apr 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me the most important thing is to get updated with the latest patch. MSI or MSP does not matter as long as it's the latest update. Also you should not wait for 10.2 to come and then deploy.

Reader 10.1.3 was released yesterday. You can download it from http://get.adobe.com/reader/

You may try the following,

1. Extract the exe like this,

AdbeRdr1013_en_US.exe -sfx_o"<path to extract folder>" -sfx_ne

2. Go to the extracted folder and run the chained command line like this to install 10.1.3 silently

msiexec /i AcroRead.msi PATCH="<path to AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp>" /qn

You can use the above command line in SCCM to deploy 10.1.3 in your org.

Alternatively, if you have Reader 10.1 or later already installed, then following command line can be used to install 10.1.3,

msiexec /p "<path to AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp>" /qn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that I assign my software to the PCs via GPO, so I need an MSI. 

Subrato Namata wrote:

You may try the following,

1. Extract the exe like this,

2. Go to the extracted folder and run the chained command line like this to install 10.1.3 silently

msiexec /i AcroRead.msi PATCH="<path to AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp>" /qn

You can use the above command line in SCCM to deploy 10.1.3 in your org.

We don't have SCCM and I don't have to, and don't know how to deploy using these command lines.  I certainly don't want to be running around 26 machines to do it either; because next year it'll likely be 40-50 machines.

Subrato Namata wrote:

Alternatively, if you have Reader 10.1 or later already installed, then following command line can be used to install 10.1.3,

msiexec /p "<path to AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp>" /qn

I don't know how to implement this ^^

All the documentation seems to be written as if some fresh faced network administrator is never going to attempt the process and seems to be written for people with years of experience instead.

I would prefer to be patched up, but at the moment, all I can do is wait for the next MSI to be released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you're using GPO methodology, in that case even you can easily deploy any update (MSI or MSP)

Refer the Enterprise Administration Guide at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/837/cpsid_83709.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Subrato,

But no, you can't deploy MSPs themselves via GPO and I can't seem to work out how I'm supposed to patch the MSI and deploy it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you can,

Once the files are extracted from AdbeRdr1013_en_US.exe using the command,

Navigate to the folder and create AIP from MSI using,

msiexec.exe /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=<"path to an AIP folder, say abc"> 

Navigate to the AIP folder (abc) and update the AIP with 10.1.3 MSP using,

msiexec.exe /a AcroPro.msi /p "<path to AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp>" TARGETDIR=<"path to the same AIP folder, abc">

Now, you have the AIP created for Reader 10.1.3 and you can create policy to deploy the AIP across OU. You need to deploy the AcroRead.msi here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2012 Apr 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The syntax is incorrect for these lines.  TARGETDIR seems to be what is incorrect.

Subrato Namata wrote:

Navigate to the folder and create AIP from MSI using,

msiexec.exe /a AcroPro.msi TARGETDIR=<"path to an AIP folder, say abc"> 

Navigate to the AIP folder (abc) and update the AIP with 10.1.3 MSP using,

msiexec.exe /a AcroPro.msi /p "<path to AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp>" TARGETDIR=<"path to the same AIP folder, abc">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay,

That didn't work:  I get the following error in the event viewer, which is why I'm guessing it failed before when I was trying to deploy using this method:

Product: Adobe Reader X (10.1.3) -- Error 1334.The file 'adobearmhelper.exe' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'Data1.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

Just to reiterate it, I NEVER have these problems with MSIs

I deploy, flash player, shockwave, Java, Chrome, Firefox and 7-Zip via MSI and I NEVER have these issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rick-pri,

Your AIP creation process was wrong and hence you got that error. People have done mistakes like that earlier as well. e.g.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3741500

You might not encounter any error while AIP creation in a wrong way but certainly during installations.

You may like to try the following illustration,

Am providing the examples as now you have obtained AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi.

1. First of all, you need to copy the two files (AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi, AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp) in any folder. (e.g C:\ReaderPatch)

2. Now create a folder, where you will be creating the AIP, e.g. name it say 'C:\AIP'

3. From C:\ReaderPatch, run the following, to create AIP for 10.1 in C:\AIP

C:\ReaderPatch>msiexec /a AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi TARGETDIR="C:\AIP"

4. Now Navigate to "C:\AIP" and From "C:\AIP", run the following, to create AIP for 10.1.3

C:\AIP>msiexec /a AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi /p "C:\ReaderPatch\AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp" TARGETDIR="C:\AIP"

Now, you have 10.1.3 AIP in the C:\AIP, deploy the whole folder in GPO environment to have 10.1.3 installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Subrato Namata wrote:

Hey Rick-pri,

Your AIP creation process was wrong and hence you got that error. People have done mistakes like that earlier as well. e.g.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3741500

You might not encounter any error while AIP creation in a wrong way but certainly during installations.

You may like to try the following illustration,

Am providing the examples as now you have obtained AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi.

1. First of all, you need to copy the two files (AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi, AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp) in any folder. (e.g C:\ReaderPatch)

2. Now create a folder, where you will be creating the AIP, e.g. name it say 'C:\AIP'

3. From C:\ReaderPatch, run the following, to create AIP for 10.1 in C:\AIP

C:\ReaderPatch>msiexec /a AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi TARGETDIR="C:\AIP"

4. Now Navigate to "C:\AIP" and From "C:\AIP", run the following, to create AIP for 10.1.3

C:\AIP>msiexec /a AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi /p "C:\ReaderPatch\AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp" TARGETDIR="C:\AIP"

Now, you have 10.1.3 AIP in the C:\AIP, deploy the whole folder in GPO environment to have 10.1.3 installed.

I get a missing .dll error now with this method of building and deploying the patched version.

Edit: Considering all the problems that I'm having with deploying this package, and the fact that I'm willing to forgo pretty important security patches because I couldn't get it to work, are you yet willing to conceed that this is a poor way of deploying patched versions of Adobe Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2012 Apr 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rick-pri,

I totally agree with you on the phrase " this is a poor way of deploying patched versions".

I have the same same problems (and some more):

- missing dll

- Uninstallable manually as a domain admin and leaving the <UUID> of the former patch

- Clogging up %temp% and hence blocking future updates

THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS!

Dear Adobe: Provide either complete patched .msi files for every important security update, so compagny deployment is fail safe (after using the proper transform file settings) OR make a tool to automate the patching. The later would safe on bandwidth.

Thank you on forehand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lori, I have that MSI, thank you, and I have the link in my bookmarks, however, I wanted to know when the next packaged MSI is coming out as we have had a number of patches come out since that release.

I will attempt to create an AIP again, but this has never worked for me before, and I always end up with version 10.1.0 only installed, not the patched 10.1.x software.  I really can't see why Adobe can't release a full MSI each time they release, whether it be in place of the MSI+MSPs or side by side it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only way we could get it to work at my office was to avoid the downloadable MSI.  We had to extract the MSI and associated install files from the EXE here:

ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/AdbeRdr1010_en_US.exe

Again, do not download the MSI.

Funny, even though I specified "Reader10" it still prompted me for a directory.  But if you don't put anything there I think it just throws everything into a temp directory and doesn't prompt you where to put the files.

So at this point you've got a directory but it's not your Admin Install Point.  Go into wherever you extracted it and do the deeds (create the admin install point):

msiexec.exe /a AcroRead.msi

It'll prompt you for a directory.

So now you've got the AIP you made above.  Go into THAT brand new AIP folder and then apply the patch:

msiexec.exe /a AcroRead.msi /p c:\FavoriteDirectoryToPutAllMyAdobeFiles\AdbeRdrUpd1013.msp

Copy that folder to a networked location (or whatever fancy GPO stuff one does) and point your GPO to AcroRead.msi and you're good to go.  Only way we could do it at my office.  I had it "replace" instead of "upgrade" all previous installations but I have no idea if that helped or not.

When we used any other MSI, downloaded or extracted, nothing worked.

Regardless, we've now got 10.1.3 deployed company-wide via GPO.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ludwigmace23,

The guide you have posted works for me.

But in this way, it is not possible to make changes with the Adobe Customization Wizard.

How do you make changes like suppress eula, disable desktop shortcut, deactivate online functions and such things?

Is there a way to do this with registry changes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really sure, I haven't messed around with the customization wizard using this method.  With all the headache I was just happy to get it deployed at all.

Here's one of the pages I was looking at for random tips.  It might be helpful:

http://davesittechblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/deploy-adobe-reader-x-101.html

Good luck!

UPDATE: I found something on another post that might help.  Keep the setup.exe and setup.ini from when you extract the original EXE file and copy those into your deployment directory.  Then you should be able to run the Adobe Customization Wizard X and make a transform (mst) file.  I made one but haven't tested its deployment yet.

Message was edited by: ludwigmace23

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It works well.

With .exe and .ini files I can create the transform file and the deployment works with my changes.

Many thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hen_ry wrote:

Hi ludwigmace23,

The guide you have posted works for me.

But in this way, it is not possible to make changes with the Adobe Customization Wizard.

How do you make changes like suppress eula, disable desktop shortcut, deactivate online functions and such things?

Is there a way to do this with registry changes?

I made my transform by customising the 10.1.0 msi package and then applied it as normal when creating my assignment GPO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2012 May 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Here's, how you can incoporate MST file in your install.

msiexec.exe /i <AIP distribution point dir path>\ <ProductName>.msi TRANSFORMS=<AIP distribution point dir path>\<ProductName>.mst

Let me know, if you need more information.

Regards,

Deepak

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2012 May 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much ludwigmace23!

I had extracted the MSI from the 10.1.3 exe downloaded from the Adobe site and after creating an API was recieving the same error as the OP when trying to install.

Product: Adobe Reader X (10.1.3) -- Error 1334.The file 'adobearmhelper.exe' cannot be installed because the file cannot be found in cabinet file 'Data1.cab'. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package.

I have downloaded the 10.1.0 exe from your FTP link, applied the patch to that and its all sweet now!

If you don't want the prompt for a directory to appear at this point:

Just include a network or drive location e.g.

AdbeRdr1010_en_US.exe -nos_o"c:\Reader10" -nos_ne

Thanks again!

Now come on Adobe, get your act together and provide a proper enterprise deployment tool!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2012 Jul 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use this Command This will help you ''AdbeRdr1000_en_US.exe /sAll /rs /msi EULA_ACCEPT=YES''

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Capture.JPG

Please Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines