Skip navigation
Cosmar38
Currently Being Moderated

Camera calibration in Camera Raw 6.7 VS 7.0*

Apr 13, 2012 5:54 AM

Hi again!

I noticed that in cameraw raw 7.0, under camera calibration, my only choice is Adobe standard. I get the same for me Fuji X100.

In the 6.7 version witn CS6, for my Canon 5d Mark III (same with the Mark II), I had the full array: Standard, Faithful, Landscape, etc.

Have I forgotten something under "camera raw preference"? I included "make default specific to camera serial number".

Thanks,

Marcel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to Cosmar38

From a post yesterday it said that ACR 6.7 is actually a little ahead of ACR 7.0.

When CS6 is released and the next dot update to ACR 7.0 is made a number of newer cameras will be fully supported.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 11:26 AM   in reply to Cosmar38

Different profiles are available for different models of camera. This list you see largely depends on the manufacturer. For a Fujifilm camera, there are no profiles provided by Fuji (thus only Adobe Standard is a choice). With Canon cameras, a number of profiles have been provided (most Canon cameras will show the same list), such as Standard, Faithful, Landscape. If you were to use a Nikon camera, you would get a whole other set of Profiles, such as Camera Landscape, Camera Neutral, Camera Portrait. There is not a single list of profiles for all camera as all camera manufacturer hardware is different.

In other words, what you are seeing is expected behavior for your cameras. This has nothing to do with the version of Camera Raw installed, all versions will exhibit this behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 12:10 PM   in reply to Cosmar38

Ah, that wasn't clear from the original post. But again, the profiles are not version specific, there is just a folder that every version of Photoshop and camera raw uses. For example, if you have Photoshop CS3 using Camera Raw 4.4 and Photoshop CS6 using Camera Raw 7.0, they both use the same folder of profiles.

How did you get camera raw 6.7 for CS6? CS6 natively installs with Camera Raw 7.0, it should never have been using the 6.7 version of the plug-in. We should probably start by verifying your profiles are currently installed. What OS are you on?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to Cosmar38

Ah... looks like we might have struck gold. How are you creating the DNG copies of your files?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:46 PM   in reply to Cosmar38

OK, I'm getting confussed, it seems there are contradictions above. So I'm going to want this straight:

You are missing Camera Profiles for CR2 files from a Canon 5D Mark III when opening them in Photoshop CS5, which is using Camera Raw 6.7. But if you convert the files to DNG and open them in Photoshop CS6 they work fine?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to Cosmar38

OK, I think we've gotten this cleared up now.

While the Canon 5D Mark III is supported in the 6.7 Camera Raw beta release, it is not supported by Camera Raw 7.0 that currently comes with the Photoshop CS6 beta. So that is why you are having to convert the files to DNG so that you can open them in Photoshop CS6, and also why you don't have any profiles, because the model of camera is not being recognized.

In other words: Expected Behavior

Thus are the dangers of working with beta software...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 4:39 PM   in reply to Cosmar38

I didn't have the options for Sony cameras in RAW 6.7, either.  I sincerely hope this is addressed in CS6 and RAW 7.0 when they are available.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 5:00 PM   in reply to Cosmar38

See this link for details on camera support in Camera Raw versions:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2012/03/raw-support-in-lightro om-and-camera-raw.html

Snip taken from link above:

You’ll also note that ACR7, available with Photoshop CS6 beta, is lagging the most in updated camera support.  This is based on when we lock down or “bake” the code for each release.   Even though ACR7 was only released last week it was “baked” before Lightroom 4.0 and Camera Raw 6.7.  Similarly, Lightroom 4.0 was finalized before Camera Raw 6.7.  We’ll get Lightroom and Camera Raw in sync soon but in the interim, here’s the latest incremental support list for each product, relative to Camera Raw 6.6 and Lightroom 3.6:

Photoshop CS6 beta with ACR7

• Canon PowerShot S100V
    • Fuji FinePix X-S1

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to Cosmar38

Cosmar38 wrote:

I still don 't understand why Adobe included these versions in 6.7 and not

in 7…

It's simple:  ACR 6.7 came out after ACR 7 in the beta of Photoshop CS 6 was already approved for release.  ACR 7-beta will NOT be updated until CS 6 is released.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 9:34 PM   in reply to Cosmar38

Sorry it is so confusing. Even though Camera Raw 7 was  released recently, it was finalized before Lightroom 4.0 and Camera Raw 6.7.

Similarly, Lightroom 4.0 was finalized before Camera Raw 6.7.  ACR7.1 will have the superset of all currently supported cameras in ACR6.7 and LR4.1 plus a few extras.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points