Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

android compatibility list?

Feb 25, 2012 9:16 AM

Hi!

Is there a list of specs that android phones must have to use the adobe content viewer app?

Even smaller phones, like say, the Alcatel OT-890?

Is there a list somewhere?

Thanks!

CJ

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 2, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to Konstantinos Terzopoulos

There are four Android sizes: Small, Normal, Large, and XLarge. Only Large and XLarge tablets (not phones) are supported in the viewer apps at this time.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 2, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to Konstantinos Terzopoulos

Ideally, you want to design for devices to create minimal scaling and letterboxing. If you create 3 Android renditions: 1232x752 (Xoom, Galaxy 10.1, Galaxy 8), and 1024x600 (Fire, Galaxy 7), you should cover all the current Large and XLarge devices. The newer 1920x1200 and 2580x1600 devices should be supported with the v25 release.

For details on creating folios for Android devices, see this article:

http://blogs.adobe.com/indesigndocs/2012/10/creating-dps-folios-for-an droid-devices.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 29, 2012 6:13 AM   in reply to Konstantinos Terzopoulos

Is any mobile phone with Android supported with DPS? We tried it even on newest Galaxy Nexus with ICS, which should have xlarge screen, but none of our app is available on Market for this phone...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 6:57 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob,

We've been using the Adobe Content Viewer on Android phones since the Android viewer became available.  I was surprised when putting a branded viewer app on the market/store that it was not able to be downloaded onto my Droid X.  Why are branded apps not allowed to be downloaded on smaller devices?  Some of our clients have found the Adobe Content Viewer to be very useful on mobile phones, in spite of the small screen size and scaling that's being done.  Will support for smaller screen sizes be available on branded apps anytime soon?

Andrew

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2013 3:14 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob,

I was looking for a discussion on this topic as we are working on a project that requires us to build a branded App for a 7 inch Android tablet. The problem that we are experiencing is that when we try to launch our test app the screen goes black for about 5 seconds then returns to the Android home screen. To be sure I installed the Adobe Content Viewer and it behaves the same, black screen, then returns to the Android home screen. I've checked the screen resolution of the device and it's 800x480, so should fall into the Large size and be compatible with Adobe DPS.

I also tested the folio files on a 10.1 inch Samsung Galexy Tab using the Adobe Content Viewer and they come in fine at the 800x480 resolution, so it's not the folio files. Is there a list of compatible Android devices or a minimum spec that Adobe has for using Adobe DPS with Android? I've been in touch with Adobe gold support but I'm not getting much help there or any straight answers to the questions I'm asking.

We need to know if the LAVA LT-7009 is compatible as this is a device we have to purchase in large quantities on behalf of our customer. 

Below is the details of the App built with the DPS App Builder.

Android Version

Kernel Version

Build Number

20121110-SSL-F1.0.6.5

Thanks for any help!

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Jan 2, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to Jon Jordan

As I mentioned in a different thread, the v25 release in early February should include an AIR fix that resolves the known issues with DPS viewers not working on newer devices such as the Nexus 10. I'm not sure if these changes will address the LAVA LT issues you're encountering.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob! Really appreciate the help. I've also just got an email back from Gold support with a list of compatible devices and it looks like the LAVA is not on it. But now that we have the list of compatible devices we can choose one from it as a replacement.

Once again, thanks for the qucik reply.

Best regards,

John.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 9:25 PM   in reply to Jon Jordan

@ Jon and for benifit of other members : You can pull up the list of supported devices from Google Play as well. If you are on the new Developer Console, Select your app, then click on 'Apk'. You'll find a section called 'Supported Devices'. Click on it and you'll find a list of compatible devices. Being on this list means that the DPS App will show in Google Play Store when searched or browsed though these devices.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Incoming Links

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points