Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Trying to find my website info

Apr 17, 2012 6:29 AM

Tags: #mx #_2004 #lost_data #lost_website_info #transferring_website_info

Totally clueless here! Im using DW MX 2004. I recently updated from XP to 7 using the Windows file transfer utility. I thought my "backup" external hard drive was corrupted and I had lost all of my backup, so I reinstalled MX 2004, which obviously has none of my website info. I did end finding some of the MX 2004 files/folders, etc... I didnt export anything, as I apparently should have. I assume that all of my info saved everytime i saved it upon closing, no?

1) In which file(s) is my website info stored? Is it the data files? and,

2) How do I get my website info to the currently installed version of MX 2004?

I appreciate any help I can get with this mess. Thank you in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to Blu5luke

Do you have your Web site uploaded and viewable on a Web server?

If so, you could download the entire site onto your local machine... save it in a backup folder just in case you can't find all the files on your local machine.

1) In which file(s) is my website info stored? Is it the data files? and,

we would have no idea where you decided to create and store your web site.... although there may be a default folder DW uses. Perhaps someone will mention that.

Did you store it on your external hard drive and not on your local drive?

Are they data files?... well that depends on what type of a Web site you have. If it's just a static HTML page, then many of the files would be .html files.... and most likely some image files (.jpg, etc).

You may also have a .css and/or some .js (javascript) files and/or some DreamWeaver template files .dwt

Search your drives for "*.css" and *.js" files. or at the very least, search for "*.dwt" and "*.html". The search should return files you recognize as being from your site. See what folder location they are in and go from there.

But in the future, build the Web site folder structure in a location of your choosing, do not let DreamWeaver choose. Make it a location that makes sense to you and is easy to remember.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:17 AM   in reply to Blu5luke

Hi

First, your site definitions for Dw are stored in the registry files, so unfortunately these have been lost forever.

As for the actual site files, providing you did not format your drive before installing Windows 7, you could locate the files on your hard drive and copy these, you will probably have to 'take possession' of these though before you will have access to them, (or just take possession of the entire drive).

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to Blu5luke

For a backup of your Web site from Lunar Pages, use an FTP program like Filezilla:

http://filezilla-project.org/

Get that installed and set up, log into your Lunar pages account via FTP, then download the entire contents from the "public_html" folder on your server. That will be the entire web site as it stands now on the Internet. Use this as backup in case you don't find your other files.

To find files on your local or ext hard drive, do a simple "search". Open Windows Explorer to view files, double click on your hard drive and in the search box type in the searches I suggested (*.css, *.dwt, *.html, *.js) meaning, search for all files with the file extention .css, etc.

From the results you may be able to recognize files from your site. Note the folder location and then go into that folder and look around.

Of course, downloading a backup copy from your sever will give you everything, neatly organized and in working order.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to Blu5luke

Hi

Download the entire contents of the public_html folder and place all this in a folder on your computer. You will then have to define your site in Dreamweaver, and if you wish to preview your site locally from Dreamweaver install a local web server.

PZ

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 10:44 AM   in reply to Blu5luke

Download the ENTIRE "public_html" folder to your local machine. This is the "root" of your Web site.

This will contain the entire site... all files.

Once that is done... and on your local machine, then you can use DW to browse to any HTML page in that folder.

i need to find out where the intructions to make this page look like it does, reside. (black background, red writing, graphics, sizes, etc...)

There are no magic set of instructions... it's all coded in HTML markup language used on that particular page (and related CSS file), so...

Open the HTML page in DW and view the page in DreamWeaver "Codeview"

All the code (instructions) on constructing the page will be right there, in the code view.

If you need some refresher of HTML and CSS (Cascading Style Sheets):

http://www.w3schools.com/html/

http://www.w3schools.com/css/

Best of luck!

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers