• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlink to Variables does not work

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Overview.htm page created. the Title of this page is a variable that displays a value that is specific to various clients. Now, when I generate Webhelp for a particular client, the variables are relevant to that client. The Overview page shows correct value of the Variable. I also have an hyperlink to the Overview. Now, when I generate Webhelp, the hyperlink goes to the default value instead of the relevant client-specific value for the Overview page. Am I doing it the right way to hyperlink to a page that has a variable?

- Vrushali

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Hi Peter,

I tried that but it doesn't work.

Maybe I can elaborate on what I want:

Overview page: I have 4 variable sets for 4 different clients - A, B, C, D.

I have a ToC for each of these clients.

Overview page is in the ToC as well as hyperlinked from one of the text pages.

Now, when I generate webhelp for client A, my output has relevant information for only client A. So the overview page has a graphic and text relevant to that client.

When I navigate through the ToC and select the Overview page, it

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you saying it's not working? I ask because when you hyperlink, you hyperlink to file names. And there is no way to insert a variable into a file name. As the file name of the page wouldn't be changing, the hyperlink should simply work.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2012 Apr 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Now, yes, it works because I hyperlink to Overview.htm and when I click on the link, the page opens. However, the Overview page is the 2nd page in the ToC. So, when I generate the webhelp with Variables value=A, the Overview page that is in the ToC shows relevant information for A. But when I click the hyperlink, it opens the generic Overview page and not specific to A.

What I need to be able to do is:

If I generate help with specific values of the variables used, the Overview page in the hyperlink should also open up with that specific value.. which it does when it is opened from the ToC, but not from the hyperlink.

Is there a workaround to make this happen?

Thanks,

Vrushali

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the link is opening the correct page but not going to the area of the page that you want, correct?

If so try creating a bookmark on the same line and make the bookmark the target of your link.

The link will be as it is now followed by #bookmarkname.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I tried that but it doesn't work.

Maybe I can elaborate on what I want:

Overview page: I have 4 variable sets for 4 different clients - A, B, C, D.

I have a ToC for each of these clients.

Overview page is in the ToC as well as hyperlinked from one of the text pages.

Now, when I generate webhelp for client A, my output has relevant information for only client A. So the overview page has a graphic and text relevant to that client.

When I navigate through the ToC and select the Overview page, it shows relevant graphic and text for client A.

However, when I click one of the hyperlinks that go to the Overview page, it displays the generic page with the generic graphic. This means, at this point it does not recognize the variable set for A.

So, can I get the hyperlink working such that it shows me the content for variable set A - similar to what it shows when I access the same page from the ToC?

Thanks,

Vrushali

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all

Basically it sounds to me as if you have marked a block of text in your Overview that contains a bookmark.The TOC is likely opening the Overview page generically by pointing to the HTM page, thus you are seeing what you expect. But your links seem to be pointing to specific bookmarks that are possibly being removed by a build expression.

Perhaps it will help if you do this. Post some code and screen captures for us to view.

Post the HTML code for the Overview page. Post a screen capture of the properties for the TOC element that works correctly. Select the link that doesn't appear to work properly and change to the HTML view. Then either screen capture what you see or copy the text of the link so we can see what you are pointing to.

Based on those elements, we should be able to go a long way to helping you sort what is happening.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp