Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

RE: Dreamweaver not responding

Apr 16, 2012 9:25 PM

Tags: #not_responding #dreamweavercs5.5

Hi ~

I have been building a site with DW 5.5 and yesterday after a save DW will not open the site again...it starts loading the HTML code...nothing apears in the design view (I work with split screen)...and then it says not responding at the top. (I have waited over an hour and it doesn't start working again.)

I tried opening other sites and have no issue.  So this is specific to this one site.  I can open up my index.html file in browsers and every thing seems ok. I have tried the following:

• checked for updates - am up to date
  • no extensions
  • restored the preferences
  • deleted the .dws site cache files
  • deleted the FileCache.dat file and the whole configuration folder

I also tried opening a new file and coping my code into the new file.  The HTML runs fine but different valid CSS3 seems to cause problems.  For example it won't let me enter via hand or through the option menu the following....

ul, ol, dl {

list-style-image: none;

list-style-type: none;

}

I've searched the forums and am at loss of what to try...any suggestions would be appreciated.

~thanks,

Beata

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 16, 2012 9:55 PM   in reply to BWoyen

Being able to open all other files, my guess is that it has to do with the markup in the document and/or external files linked to the document.

Open the file in Notepad (if it isn't to large) copy the markup and paste into a post so that we can have a look.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 10:25 PM   in reply to BWoyen

There is nothing here that should stop DW from loading it.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 4:55 PM   in reply to BWoyen

I just remembered seeing something that David Powers wrote about a file being a certain size. I forget which size, but DW acts strangely.

The solution is to change the size of the file either by adding or subtracting content. Worth a try.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to BWoyen

BWoyen wrote:

it would hang up when I pasted the list styling into the new docs.

Which part were you pasting into a new document that caused Dreamweaver to hang?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to Ben Pleysier

That's the 8,192KB bug but I believe it only affected DW CS3.

http://www.mikepadgett.com/technology/technical/dreamweaver-cs3-crashe s-and-wont-start-up-again/

I thought it was fixed from CS4 onwards and the OP is using CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to BWoyen

Very similar problem.  I've been using DW for years and this problem just started happening today.  Just today, opening up files that were created in DW made DW freeze with the dreaded "not responding" message in the title bar.

I'm using DW CS3 on a Vista 64 system.

I work in split screen -  Code and Design.

Fairly "busy" pages with Google ads and other external banners in the sidebars, as well as other external javascript and CSS files.

(Note the problem is not there when using only code view - DW becomes unresponsive only when a design view is open.)

Tried the delete-cache-file fix and it didn't work.  (I noticed that the deleted cache file was NOT recreated on subsequent DW startups.)

What worked for me was changing a setting found in the View menu.

"Display External Files" was checked on.

Turned if off and suddenly DW started working again

(I noticed that after I did this, that deleted cache file was recreated.)

The problem and solution are repeatable on my system.

Turn that option on and open the "problem" page - DW freezes

Restart DW, turn that option off and then open the "problem" page - DW runs.

Hope this helps

~codeDawg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 9:50 PM   in reply to BWoyen

Yeah - that problem had me worried for a bit.

All I wanted to do was make a slight text change to a page I created last year.

Took me a several hours to come up with a "Fix" to the DW freeze issue, then 30 seconds to change the page 

I'm still not quite sure what that option actually does - I don't see a difference in the design view.

Glad it worked for ya'!

~codeDawg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to codeDawg

Thank you, codeDawg!!!!

Just this morning I wasn't able to open page files for a site I've been working on using DW with no problem for years. I had used it last on April 18 with no problem. I've never had an issue with opening any page files with DW. Until this morning. I kept getting a "Dreamweaver not responding" message. I am using a Mac running OS X 10.6.8. I have CS4 DW.

I fixed my permissions twice in Disk Utlities. That didn't fix anything. Then I went to Adobe and found the suggestion on Adobe to delete the data cache in the personal Configurations folder so I did that. That didn't work so I deleted the personal Configurations folder. Still didn't work.

Then I found this thread and what you had done that worked. So I just looked for the "Display External Files" in the View menu, saw that it was checked, and unchecked it and now I can open my pages again and work on them. Hallelujah!

I wonder what went wrong? I've never noticed that "Display External Files" before and I hadn't checked it. But it was checked and I unchecked it. Now things work.

THANK YOU!!!

Ginny

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to codeDawg

THANK YOU Codedawg. Same problem as everyone else encountered---suddenly my pages wouldn't open and DW would hang. Did that option(Display External Files) just suddenly appear and default to selected? Like Ginny, I never noticed it before either. Thanks SO much--you just saved me from reinstalling!  !!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to Helene Elysia

Hi Ginny and Helene,

Glad it worked for 'ya!

(Anything that saves me from re-installing software is worth trying )

Yeah - that option is a big mystery to me.

I don't remember messing around with it before DW started freezing up.

Not sure what it does and I can't see any differences in the design view.

(Other than DW freezes on certain pages )

I'm guessing that Google Ads or some other 3rd party jscript running on my pages made a recent change to some of their script output.

A change that DW, in design view, finds "objectionable".

~codeDawg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to codeDawg

Thanks! I've been trying to solve this problem for the past few days and Voila! - your solution worked.

I'm now wondering why it suddenly started happening

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:12 AM   in reply to Joolaine

You're welcome!

~codeDawg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 5:55 AM   in reply to codeDawg

And a big thanks from me too! 

I'm having a bad week - newly installed Lightroom 4 running slow and my printer heads clogging - so when my index.html file started playing up in Dreamweaver I was well chuffed to find your solution!  I've been using Dreamweaver from the very first version (I'm old) and never noticed this option before ...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to abasub09

You're Welcome!

I've had far too many of those kind of weeks myself!

Was thinking about upgrading soon to LR4.  I hope they get their issues straightened out by the time I get around to it.

~codeDawg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:13 PM   in reply to codeDawg

For all the DW8 folks who can't find the "Display External Files" option in the Command menu:

This thread might help.

~codeDawg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 12:16 AM   in reply to BWoyen

Thank you CodeDawg.  Any ideas on why this is suddenly an issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to LRHH

I'd like to find out why this is occurring as well, so that we can ensure others don't run into this problem in the future.

Display External Files is an option that enables files (usually images) that exist on the web to be displayed in Design View. Design View usually only displays files that are located locally on your machine. This means you would have an absolute URL (e.g. "http://mywebsite.com/image.jpg") to the file in your page's code, instead of a relative URL (e.g. "/image.jpg") which would only look on the local machine.

Do any of the pages where you are seeing this issue have absolute URLs to a file?

If so, and you remove (or comment out) that code and turn Display External Files back on, does that fix the issue?

Since I have not been able to reproduce the issue, I am relying on you all to help me investigate this. Once I know more, we can go from there to determine the cause of the issue and get it fixed.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to Carey Burgess

@Carey,

In my experience, references to 3rd party scripts such as Google fonts/ads/widgets, Facebook badges, etc...  can create problems with Design View when  "Display External Files" is enabled.

Below is the an example caused by the OP's Facebook badge.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4357898#4357898

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

Thanks for the insight, Nancy. I had not seen the other thread.

You mentioned in the other thread that you reproduced the issue. What version of DW were you using?

I was able to reproduce the issue in Dreamweaver CS4, but not in CS5 or CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to Nancy O.

I agree with Nancy O.  Strange thing is my problem page was ok, despite having both Google+ and Facebook widgets, until I decided to relocate this screen furniture on the page.  And it was still ok to save and post the page ... problem only occurred some days later when I tried to reopen the file for further edits.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Hello Carey - Good to see Adobe on the case!

Thanks for the "Display External Files" info.  I hadn't seen a good explanation of it before.

This issue is also reproducible on DW CS3.

~codeDawg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

You mentioned in the other thread that you reproduced the issue. What version of DW were you using?

@Carey,

The OP's question concerned DW 8, so I tested her code in DW 8.0.2. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to codeDawg

Yep, I’m using DW CS3 and also experienced this problem

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 9:54 PM   in reply to abasub09

I use DW CS4 and also experienced apps hang on win7 (sometimes).

But i open a lot of program, maybe the root cause from it !

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 1:19 AM   in reply to Carey Burgess

I'm using DW CS4 on Win7 and the problem only occurred within the last week or so on index pages, not on any other pages. All my images have relative url's, but there are various other links to remote images  from Facebook and Flickr, plus affiliate and Google ads. They obviously don't normally appear in design view anyway.
    It was possible to open hung pages in code view.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to Joolaine

Odd that this issue only recently started for you all. Clearly, the version of Dreamweaver you have on your systems has not changed.

About when did the issue start for each of you?

Do you have any extension installed for Dreamweaver?

If so, which ones?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Carey,

I first noticed the problem April 19th.

Running DW CS3 on Vista 64 with no extensions.

Most images on my pages are linked relative with local copies on my development system.

The problem only occurs when a design view is open.

On my "print pages" (same content but without the sidebars that contain 3rd party jscript output or links to 3rd party images) DW works fine.

Sidebars contain Google Ads, Amazon Ads, Facebook and Twitter badges.

~codeDawg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 2:24 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Hi Carey

I’m running Dreamweaver CS3 on 32 bit Vista.  No extensions.  Problem first happened last week on opening my index page in split design / code view.  All my images etc are local apart from anything associated with the Facebook and Google+ widgets on the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to Carey Burgess

This issue happened to me as well. Began for un on Friday the 27th of April. Everything worked fine for us for years. Then the opening of the index.html from our website locked up DW-CS3.

The solution of turning off the "display of External Files" and restarting DW made the difference.

I REALLY appreciate the fix.  

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 1:15 AM   in reply to Carey Burgess

Hi Carey,

This issue wouldn't be anything to do with a Microsoft update would it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 2:54 AM   in reply to BWoyen

I've also been having this problem with Dreamweaver 8 on an XP Pro system.

I solved it by designing my own artwork, and using that to link to the relevant Facebook page instead of having an official Facebook Badge. Can't see any reason why that shouldn't work as well for me.

I had no problem with the original badge for some months, so it's a change to their script that has caused the problem. Seems fairly typical of their attitude to their users - look at what is happening over Timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to BWoyen

Not sure if this will help anyone - but I have the same experience and my investigation shows ...

I see from a packet trace that when DW attempts to access an external facebook badge image, from http://badge.facebook.com/..., facebook returns an http redirection to http://www.facebook.com/unsupportedbrowser.  When you browse to that page with a normal browser, you get a facebook 'improve your experience' page.  When DW attempts to get that URL instead, it's request is for an image type file but receives a zero length text/html containing a header redirect - to itself, which DW responds to as a never ending loop.  Problem in Facebook's handling of unsupported browsers.

Not sure if the recent facebook changes have impacted this, From memory, I never used to get the facebook badges appearing in DW, just a grey square, but they may have received a different (and more valid) response to a request for an image.

Anyway, switching off external images is a workaround for me.

GET /badge/<<snip>>.png HTTP/1.1

Host: badge.facebook.com

Pragma: no-cache

Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*

HTTP/1.1 302

Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

X-FB-Debug: up7BW+X0Yk5PU4KrcrNyCjimd4cXMSDk0sijdqXwqj0=

Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 11:33:12 GMT

Content-Length: 0

Connection: keep-alive

GET /unsupportedbrowser HTTP/1.1

Host: www.facebook.com

HTTP/1.1 302 Found

Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8

X-FB-Debug: 5kSg1Y4twqfRoLhENQlhAQMUgbUBbiscYQfd2sJ4rKk=

X-Cnection: close

Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 10:58:09 GMT

Content-Length: 0

GET /unsupportedbrowser HTTP/1.1

Host: www.facebook.com

etc etc

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 6:38 PM   in reply to TImDownUnder

Thanks for tracking this down, TimDownUnder!

So, it appears that a recent change to the way Facebook responds when you try to load the badge is causing this issue.

And, as mentioned before by codeDawg, the workaround in Dreamweaver is to uncheck "Display External Files" in the View menu.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to Carey Burgess

What is the workaround for Dreamweaver 8? I don't see any option to uncheck "Display External Files" in the view menu.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to scls_web

It should be under the Commands menu in Dreamweaver 8.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points