Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a code checker that will give you the correct code?

Apr 17, 2012 8:58 AM

I have a website that I started using a bought template, I deleted all of the content except the navigation buttons.  The problem now is that there are ALOT of broken links and coding errors.  Is there a site that will show me what the correct code should be?

www.cfaai.com

Heidi

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to emijer

Lots of people here use the W3c Validator: http://validator.w3.org/

It won't tell  you what the correct code is but it will tell you what the problem is.  On the HTML page there's an option to run HTML tidy which can sort some things out but again, it will be up to you to study the code to work out what changed.

Martin

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to emijer

Hello Heidi,

in addition to Martin's hint: the first thing I saw in your source code is this here: file:///C|/Documents, what means the path to your image "POLLEN BOX (3).jpg" is pointing to an image on your local hard drive which nobody can see except you. Please change it to the correct path.

I'll try to looked further and come back.
    Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:41 AM   in reply to emijer

Hello Heidi,

please don't use spaces in folders/filenames. Spaces get converted %20 which leads to problems. Yo could use underscores or dashes instead, if you want to separate the terms. Among other things, your page can better found by search engines and/or even worse, servers will think that the name has ended and your website can't be found.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 9:59 AM   in reply to emijer

Hello Heidi,

excuse my short messages, that I'm so slowly coming to the grips of your question, because at the moment I can't see "The problem now is that there are ALOT of broken links and coding errors." All the links work perfectly in my IE8. Please name the broken links in question.

... I had a look after your "Jake fishing CROP.jpg". When I'm on the right track, you use it in its original size, DW has to "downsample" it to width="272" height="340". Please let this do a picture processing program and use it resized.

Did you try martins hint?

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cfaa i.com%2F&profile=css21&usermedium=all&warning=1&vextwarning=&lang=en

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to emijer

Hi Heidi,

these files are not stored on your harddisk? In this case you could reload the image and the related file(s) to your PC, change them there and load them up again to your server.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 10:05 AM   in reply to emijer

Hi,

"there are tons of broken links and errors" please show some of them in a screenshot, I don't see only one, sorry.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to emijer

Hi Heidi,

could it be that we always talked at cross purposes. Could it be that there is a difference between your published website www.cfaai.com and your directory with all the files on your PC/harddisk? For example (if it's the right path) I should find this http://www.cfaai.com/images/barb16.png on your website.

If yes please load it all up to your server, only so it's possible for me to analyze.

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 10:52 AM   in reply to emijer

... and I can't find it in your published website www.cfaai.com

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to emijer

Just a quick thought here: did you ever define your site? It helps Dreamweaver keep an eye on things and is quite an important first step.

Martin

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to emijer

Defining a site is an important first step in DW whenever you create a website.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt1.htm l

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:22 PM   in reply to emijer

Define your site using site management.  It won't fix you problems but it might have helped prevent some of them. 

Martin

Sent from my iPhone

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:48 AM   in reply to emijer

Hello Heidi,

let's go back to your initial comments: "I have a website that I started using a bought template ...". The question is where and how are this or the modified and optimized files stored. I for my part use this scheme:

HtdocsKompl.jpg

what means, you have to plan ahead how the file structure should look like.

I use htdocs on my harddisk, because my offline reader searches the files there. I naturally load up the different files into the directories with their significant names.

Please have a look again at my comments on 12, esp. "Could it be that there is a difference between your published website, ..." and "load it all up to your server, only so it's possible for me to analyze". Let me convince you from that! And don't fear anything about our comments, no matter how your modified website looks like.

Before uploading you could try to copy ally your files now stored in your Temp directory into the correct directory (such as analog):

imageTmpD.jpg

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to emijer

sorry, I can't help you either: "load it all up to your server, only so it's possible for me to analyze"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to emijer

Hello Heidi,

I prefer an external FTP program. The difficulties with which you have to fight encourage me in this opinion, not least because we always search for experts, we don't charge a "jack of all trades".

For this reason, to manage, for example, several websites or to upload my files and sometimes for the opposite way, for a necessary download from my server or to use a "a site-wide synch", I'm using FileZilla. It simply looks easier for me to keep track of all operations precisely and generate or reflect easily the desired tree structure.

Above all, FileZilla has a feature (translation from my German FileZilla) called "compare file list". Here it's possible to use file size or modification time as a criterion. There is also the possibility to "hide identical files", so that only these files which you want to redact remain visible.

And even if it means you have to install a new program, I am convinced that there is an advantage. Here is the link to get it and where you can read informations about how it works:

http://filezilla-project.org/ and

http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Tutorial#Using_the_site_manager

Mac: Mac OS X

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php

Of course, you also need all the access data to reach your server.

Good luck

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points