Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tempo changes in CS6?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2012 Apr 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Will CS6 allow users to have tempo changes in sessions? 

This is a very common feature that has been missing in Audition but is offered by ever other DAW out there.

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be awesome!...  ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't a tempo change feature typical of softwares that work with beats and loops and MIDI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a function of music composition software, and Audition isn't that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from Audition 3 manual when it speaks about new features:

Create and arrange

Adobe Audition 3.0 offers powerful and extensive looping capabilities, as well as support for VST instruments, making it easy to create and arrange great-sounding music

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, that was Audition 3, Kost.  But the direction of the program has changed since then.  But maybe if people like you or me start making music videos, the Audition developers will nudge the program in the direction of music production (cuz Audition's so video-oriented these days).  That's my cunning plan, anyway.  Think I'll get my teeth straightened to get ready for the video bits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a function of music composition software, and Audition isn't that.

That's plainly ridiculous.

Tempo is one of the basic elements of any form of audio, not just music. 

What if I'm working on a trailer and I want to sync SFX to the music track? 

What if I want to sync VST fx to a tempo?

What if I want a loop to speed up whilst being synced to other loops?

Heck, what if I might actually want this feature to work on music inside Audition?

It's not just a music feature, it's a basic audio editing feature.  And it's a pretty basic feature at that!  Saying it's tempo changes arn't included because it's not "music composition software" is just...stupid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've been through this debate a lot in this forum.  Audition is aimed primarily at sound editing, not music production.  (Hey, don't get mad at me - it wasn't my decision.). Its music-making functionality is incredibly useful for people like me (and you, apparently) but secondary to the program's main thrust.  Here's the deal with Audition: if tempo change function is so basic to audio editing that radio guys need it, then it *will* be added to the program.  So, how many radio guys need tempo-change functionality in their work? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5.5 still has Guitar Suite ( and very good one). So it gives me hope that music creation or at least music editing is not abandon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not abandoned.  But not the first priority.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tempo is one of the basic elements of any form of audio, not just music. 

What if I'm working on a trailer and I want to sync SFX to the music track? 

What if I want to sync VST fx to a tempo?

What if I want a loop to speed up whilst being synced to other loops?

Heck, what if I might actually want this feature to work on music inside Audition?

Tempo changes as such aren't included in Audition but there are very powerful speed change and stretch tools available for matching and syncing audio files. And you can still display the Time bar as Bars and Beats at any tempo or time signature that you choose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can still display the Time bar as Bars and Beats at any tempo or time signature that you choose.

Not if I want more than one tempo per session, right?  Or more than one time signature either for that matter...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, it's not going to do what you want - for the reasons I said.

Get used to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, it's not going to do what you want - for the reasons I said.

That's really, really bizarre, and very bizarre reasoning.  It's such a basic feature that could add a lot to Audition for the small amount of time it would take to implement.  To refuse to implement tempo changes simply because "that's a music thing" seems really...really strange.  Especially when CS6 is already boasting a Metronome track - what's the point of that then?  Isn't that a "music thing" too?

Get used to it.

Woah...LOL.  I was just asking buddy, I didn't know tempo changes could be such a touchy subject!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hog wash...if Auditition isn't music production software why even bother having a multi-track section, maybe they should get rid of that too to please the editing only radio guys ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Audition is audio editing software. It isn't just used by radio people (who, if they are doing things like radio drama, use multitrack view extensively), but by TV and film users for things like ADR, and for editing and assembling live music production. It's also used extensively by people doing restoration work, and to a degree by the scientific community. It's also used to a surprising degree by mastering studios. None of these people, who constitute the vast majority of Audition users, need tempo changes. When it was first introduced, the concept behind the multitrack view was that of a software multitrack tape recorder, and that is pretty much what it remains.

Why the metronome track? Because it's useful sometimes for people recording live music - and that's the major distinction that you are failing to make in production terms - live versus compositional. Also, it was a common thing to do with a multitrack tape machine - record metronome tracks, which you could vary if you wanted to.

Just because a program has features that can help with the recording of of live music doesn't automatically make it music composition software; the processes and technology concerned are essentially different. There is absolutely no point in Audition competing in an area where it is immediately in competition with a load of established software, and potentially suffering in other markets because of this. So when I said 'composition software', that is exactly and precisely what I meant - I'm fully aware of all the other things you can do with it, and why.

I don't talk 'hogwash', and there is nothing 'bizarre' about this either - it's really very straightforward:

If your primary concern is  music composition using MIDI, etc then I would suggest that Audition is not the tool you should be using for that purpose. There are better, cheaper options if you want to save money, like Reaper. But Reaper, as an editor, is crap. Each program plays to its strengths, not its weaknesses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're right, Audition CS 5.5 as a music production tool is crap, it doesn't have midi, doesn't do scoring, doesn't have a step sequencer, doesn't have any VST instruments, doesn't burn cd's, any wonder why I bought Sonar X1 Essentials ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

If your primary concern is  music composition using MIDI, etc then I would suggest that Audition is not the tool you should be using for that purpose.

I use Audition 3 for music but CS5.5 for editing. It's twice faster than Au3. Introducing CS5.5 Durin said: "Nothing has been officially deleted from the Audition feature list, but there is a lot that was in Audition 3.01 that has not been updated and ported to the new codebase." Is it deleted now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

djwayne2000 wrote:

Hog wash...if Auditition isn't music production software why even bother having a multi-track section, maybe they should get rid of that too to please the editing only radio guys ??

Any sound designer uses multitrack editors. You layer and manipulate individual components to create sound effects, then layer them again to create the final composition. Audition is a multi-track sound editor, and while those can be used to create music, there are applications out there that do that much more comprehensively than Audition does.

Personally, I'd be disappointed (and somewhat perplexed) if Adobe went down the "everything but the kitchen sink" route with Audition, and started spending time and money to re-invent the wheel. I'd rather they stay focused on creating the "Photoshop for sound" the marketspace still lacks after all these years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2012 Jul 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a question how does one change the tempo (metronome) speed in Audition CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Window menu and then to Properties. There you can set it under Time Display. But CS6 doesn't allow users to have tempo changes in sessions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, are we talking about the same thing? I am talking about the metronome “tic tic tic speed.” Tic tic is the best way I can describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 05, 2012 Jul 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Kost7 said: over on the left side of the multitrack window, click on the Properties tab.  In the Time Display section, you'll find Tempo.  Enter the bpm there that you want.  But be careful with it - some people have been having issues with the metronome - when it gets to the end of the page display, it'll hiccup and throw you off.  Try it.  If it works for you, it's magic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2012 Jul 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Help please!

I used and still use Cool Edit Pro and I record a number of songs continuous and then I separate the individual songs as in

Song 1

Song 2

In Cool Edit this is done by blocking the individual song

1. Press CTRL X to cut the song

2. Press CTRL SHIFT N to open in a new window

3. Save the file with its name

4. Press CTRL W to close the open window and then do the same things for all the other songs

I tried this using Adobe CS6 and while it did it, I could not play the individual songs

Now the originals were in MP3 format and it saved the songs as Wav, could that be the problem?

I really appreciate your assistance in this. Can I call you? either phone or Skype

Joseph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many moons ago Durin stated that multiple tempos within a session, or a tempo automation lane, was something he himself would like to see in Audition.

I know this feature has been requested.

We might get surprised...You never know.

Duff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines