Skip navigation
logie2651
Currently Being Moderated

EMBEDDING POSTSCRIPT FONTS INTO PDFS

Apr 15, 2012 6:15 PM

Used Quark Xpress 3.31 on Windows 98/Millenium/2000, made ps file, distilled to PDF. Worked great. All fonts embedded in PDF. Files worked great for prepress. Can't update Quark because of maths program I use that won't work on later Quark versions and can’t get math program upgrade. Trying to update to Windows XP. With XP postscript fonts will not embed in PDFs via Quark 3.31/Acrobat Distiller 4. Fonts will only show in Courier on PDF, although using Word same fonts will distill and show in PDF preferences/fonts list – so fonts are working. Have tried Universal Document Converter 5.3 as straight PDF converter. Fonts show on PDF but not showing as fonts embedded in preferences/fonts in PDF. Trying Adobe Acrobat Pro 10 but does not seem to work either. I think it is an issue with Quark 3.31 and later Windows platforms. Any suggestions out there on problem/solution? I may have to be stuck in the middle ages with software. Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 8:13 PM   in reply to logie2651

I may have to be stuck in the middle ages with software

People have the best experience when their application software, their OS software and their hardware are moving forward together. But you've pretty much just stuck with what you have for the past 16 years.

I'd guess that the problem is that QuarkXPress 3.31 (which came out in 1996, according to Wikipedia) is probably incompatible with Windows XP (which came out in 2001).

Either you stick with what you have or you'll have to replace all your software. Assuming you want to stick with QuarkXPress, you'll have to find new math software which works with a later version of QuarkXPress. This will then require you to probably upgrade your hardware and update your Windows software. Since you waited so long, this will take some work.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to logie2651

You might be best off contacting Quark Technical Support since QuarkXPress is not an Adobe product. 

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to logie2651

As I recall, XP may handle PS fonts in a unique folder; the OS sees the fonts but Distiller is only looking at the default OS fonts folder.

Have you opened distiller and checked the font locations?

Settings > Font Locations

Browse and add c:\psfonts

Something similair to this screen shot, Distiller 9

Distiller Font Locations.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers