Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Missing collections

Apr 17, 2012 8:52 AM

Since I couldn't find my original disk to move my original 3.6 to another computer, I download a new 3.6 application and imported my catalog backup to it and all my collections disappeared.  What happened?

PS this step was in preparation for installing Lightroom 4 later.

Don

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to dtemplems

How did you do the import? Did you import the photos, or did you use File->Import from Catalog?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 11:49 AM   in reply to dtemplems

What type of collections are you missing: Static, Smart, or Publish Services?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to dtemplems

That info is stored in the catalogue, and should come across. Find the correct catalogue you were using in LR3 - open it in LR3 to make 100% sure it is the one (I suspect this is the problem here). Then open it in LR4 through File > Open Catalogue.  You shouldn't need to "import" at any stage in this upgrade process.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to dtemplems

So you have now upgraded the LR3 catalogue, following my steps? Any question marks on the thumbnails?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 3:44 PM   in reply to dtemplems

Read the dialog boxes properly and follow their instructions. They told you the pictures are missing, not the catalogue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 12:32 AM   in reply to dtemplems

The program is only "useless" because you aren't taking this at the right pace. I asked about those question marks, and didn't ask you to do anything more.  The question marks were telling you that LR couldn't find the original pictures (in future don't move them with Explorer/Finder once they're registered in LR), and that was why the thumbnails were grey. So you needed to click the question mark and follow the dialog box's instructions which were to point LR to where the pictures now are - not to point to the LR3 catalogue or its backups.

I wonder if you know the difference between your catalogue, and the pictures - if not, you need to get this clear in your own mind. These lrcat files are crucial - find them and be clear about what each one is. And go one step at a time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to dtemplems

Those backups are not a backup of the photos - they are a backup of the lrcat, the catalogue file. So no photos would be expected to be there. Remember that the catalogue is just that, a catalogue, and "import" doesn't mean that the pictures are actually going to be insidse the catalogue - it's more a "registration" process that records in the catalogue where the pictures are actually located.

Now when you clicked the question mark, it only defaulted to that folder. You should navigate to where the pictures now are and point to the pictures. Try this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 8:41 AM   in reply to dtemplems

When you click on a folder, you are telling Lightroom where it is. Look more closely through the Folders panel and you should find it. It will no longer appear with the other 5 but should be shown elsewhere, and without a question mark. The pictures in it should no longer have question marks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2012 2:59 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

Thanks John, this solution worked for me, spent a week setting up collections in Lightroom 3 and nearly had kittens when I upgraded to V4, all flags and collections are now restored.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points