Skip navigation
ppongsclub
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player 11.2.202.228 no longer plays my audio flv

Apr 2, 2012 1:58 AM

Tags: #error #flash_player

After updating to the new flash player (version 11.2.202.228) audio only flv files no longer play.

air3.2 update too.

In the source code below:

red5 server is used for audio recording and playback

ns.play() does not run.

But, there is no problem with recording [ns.publish()]

/**NetConnection**/

private function setupNC():void{

myServer = "rtmp://ip";
   nc = new NetConnection();

nc.connect(myServer);
   nc.client = this;
   nc.addEventListener(NetStatusEvent.NET_STATUS, netStatus1);
   nc.addEventListener(AsyncErrorEvent.ASYNC_ERROR, asyncErrorHandler);
   nc.addEventListener(SecurityErrorEvent.SECURITY_ERROR, securityErrorHandler);
   nc.connect(myServer);
}

/*** ns.publish ***/

private function record_start():void{

tbSoundFile = rndSoundFile(); //sound file

initMic("0xff0000");
   ns = new NetStream(nc);
   ns.addEventListener(NetStatusEvent.NET_STATUS, netStatus2);
   ns.attachAudio(myMic);
   ns.publish(tbSoundFile, "record");
}

private function record_play():void{

var myClient:Object = new Object();
   ns = new NetStream(nc);
   ns.addEventListener(NetStatusEvent.NET_STATUS, netStatus3);
   ns.bufferTime = 5;
   ns.client = myClient;

myClient.onMetaData = function(myMeta:Object):void {
       myDuration = myMeta["duration"];

}

myClient.onPlayStatus = function(myPBstatus:Object):void{
        if(myPBstatus["code"] == "NetStream.Play.Complete"){
            recordingState = "idle";
         }
     }

mySoundFile = tbSoundFile;    //sound file

ns.play(mySoundFile);     

}

private function netStatus3(event:NetStatusEvent):void {

trace(event.info.description);   <<<<<<< (1)

switch (event.info.code){
            case "NetConnection.Connect.Success" :
                ns = new NetStream(nc);
                ns.attachAudio(myMic);
                nc.removeEventListener(NetStatusEvent.NET_STATUS, netStatus);
                break;
            case "NetStream.Play.Failed" :     <<<<<<<<<<< (2)

record_stop();
                 break;
      }
}

Trace results for event.info.description (1):

playing and resetting <file_name>

Started playing <file_name>

undefined

undefined

Trace results for event.info.code (2):

Netstream.Play.Failed

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to ppongsclub

We are having the same issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to ppongsclub

We are having the same issue: video flv play, but audio flvs do not.

Tried with a "start" parameter: Netstream.play('http://example.com', 0) , still does not work.

Everything works in 11.1 or less.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:24 PM   in reply to josh_on

A lot of people are having the same issue. I put this on the same level of Adobe screwing up video for Radeons so video was just a flat green color with audio. They never fixed it for my old 4870 x2 nor my 4870 non-x2. I had to disable hardware acceleration to see video. Just google 'flash player green video' and you'll see what a mess flash player can make.

The last thread I asked this question became a debacle, let's see how it goes here. Why are you using a FLV container when you only have audio? Why not just use an audio format? The other thread was absolutely sure that FLV audio was somehow 'better compressed' than mp3. Is this the case here too or do you have some other reason for sticking audio-only in a video container?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to sinious

The reason we have for sticking to FLV is that we have 11 million users that have recorded hundreds of thousands of FLV files over the last three years, whose playback was just broken by 11.2. Are we going to transcode this huge user-generated file library to .mp3 now???

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to panicfarm

Yup, same reason for me (I reported the same problem in another thread..). My users publish audio recordings which flash stores in FLV format. And so I have thousands of .flvs created like that. Plus I need the option to play back more or less as soon as recording is finished so converting to another format is not really an option.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:47 PM   in reply to danielfrith

panicfarm~ Nope you're definitely going to advise users not to upgrade to the latest flash until a fix is made .

danielfrith~ FLV already has to compress the audio using a codec. The fact that it's in a FLV container doesn't make it any faster to encode (actually slower) nor faster to play back immediately. It's a misunderstanding of how containers and codecs work. You can merely look here to see how to unpack your FLVs to see what format they actually are, MP3 or AAC. You could have just encoded them to that format to begin with, disregarding the unnecessary step of the FLV container.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:01 PM   in reply to ppongsclub

Just in case this helps - here is the meta data that is coming in with a FLV file with no video:

metadata: duration=29.866 width=undefined height=undefined framerate=undefined videocodecid: -1

Still haven't found a fix, but if the FLV component can be made to work then I imagine that there is a solution in Actionscript. A setting on the flash.media.video instance. Ours was set to invisible on Audio only playback, setting it to visible did not help...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to sinious

@sinious, that really doesn't help me It's encoded client side by flash player (Nellymoser, in fact, not mp3), I want those FLVs to play back again without any server side processing which may incur a delay. Do you have a fix for this problem? If you want to discuss containers, please start a new thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:19 PM   in reply to josh_on

A general question - is anybody with this problem actually using FMS? I'm using CRTMPServer, someone else mentioned Red5...

I wonder if/how the meta data in a FMS generated FLV differs...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to danielfrith

The metadata I posted came from a FLV file generated by red5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2012 5:44 PM   in reply to ppongsclub

From the 11.2 release notes:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/release-note/release-notes-flash-p layer-11_20120305.html

"Netstream API briefly returns wrong value when video buffer is drained(2737056)"

That fix is probably the cause.

I switched to rtmp playback of our files - I still get the same Netstream.play.failed error.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 4:33 AM   in reply to ppongsclub

I filed a bug report:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3156305

Perhaps others could add any comments or notes to it..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 11:46 AM   in reply to danielfrith

@danielfrith:

can you check the .flv file that does not play with flvcheck ?

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashMediaServer/3.5_AdminGuide/WS5b3ccc51 6d4fbf351e63e3d119f29261b7-7ffc.html#WS5b3ccc516d4fbf351e63e3d119f2926 1b7-7ffa

Do you have an audio-only .flv file that is created with FMS, that actually plays?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to panicfarm

Ok, I checked some files - some give me:

"Error: -9 Invalid FLV message footer."

others give me:

"Error: -5 File read error."

And yes, they all give one or the other error. Nethertheless, these played fine in older flash players.

> Do you have an audio-only .flv file that is created with FMS, that actually plays?

No, I don't have access to FMS.

(I only speculated that FMS might work since someone over on a Red5 mailing list suggested it did: http://groups.google.com/group/red5interest/browse_thread/thread/994f6 808bfd1a404/76383001f6d45d16 )

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2012 3:26 PM   in reply to danielfrith

Given the fact that Adobe is transitioning away from Flash, I would not have high hopes that they will fix it then.
    As a practical matter, the problem is in the empty video stream of the flv files. Ideally, the audio-only files should only have one stream, but they are saved with two streams, an empty video stream, and an audio stream.

I removed the video stream like this:

ffmpeg -i src.flv -vn -acodec copy src-copy.flv

The resulting file is playable in 11.2.

(you need a very recent version of ffmpeg, or you will get white noise)

I am  now modifying the red5 app to run this command right after the file is saved, and send a message back to the client on success.

After that, I will have to write a batch script that will go over the entire file library, find audio-only files, and remove video streams from them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to panicfarm

Thanks, that's very useful to know.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to danielfrith

Similiar issue here!
    On top of the playback issues I have embedded markers in my FLV to fire off actions in an elearning module - this really makes things bad!
    Going back in to all the modules and adding some work-around is NOT really an option...there is something different about how audio only FLV's are being played now.

BTW - FireFox FF & other version of Flash Player DO work though w/o a single glitch!  So problem seems limited to IE8 w/ 11.1.202.228

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 4, 2012 11:09 AM   in reply to SHI001

Perhaps programatically adding back in your cuepoints will solve your problem for now.

I still can't believe there's this many people using a video container for audio. It's like buying a tractor trailer to save on gas. Makes no sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 9:11 AM   in reply to sinious

Hi Sinious, im having the same issue, and like the first post said, we are using red5 to record the stream, and red5 just save this stream in a flv file.

im waiting any advice to solve this, but i think the solution should come from adobe/flashplayer, there are a lot of applications that reads a FLV sound file, and until

flashplayer 11.1 everyting works.

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 9:31 AM   in reply to sinious

The authoring tool for courseware I build limits my choices and FLV is the prefferred choice (ecspecially for adding event triggers). It always worked like a champ till the other day when machines started upgrading to 11.2.202.228.

Upon further investigation I did discover that some FLV's did work OK (they were coicindentally produced directly using Adobe Media Encoder) while the other FLV's that did NOT work were produced within the authoring tool itself (converts WAV's to FLV's).

So I decided to crack them both open and look for any differences...sure enoough I found one:
    FLV's that did NOT work were created using MPEG 1 - level 3, The FLV's that DID work were created using MPEG 2 - level 3.

Could it be that MPEG-1 is no longer FULLY supported in 11.2.202.228 ?
    Maybe this will help others...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to SHI001

Hi do you know a tool to convert FLV MPEG 1 - level 3 to FLV MPEG 2 - level 3 ?

thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to ppongsclub

We are experiencing the same thing.  Using Red5 on backend I can record and stream back an flv through FP 11.1.102.55.  The same flv cannot be played back on FP 11.2.202.228.  I filed a bug report: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3157899.  Adobe responded that they looking into the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 11:16 AM   in reply to ppongsclub

If it's important to you that this bug be fixed, please let Adobe know, and vote: 

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3157899

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to ppongsclub

Adobe release a new version of flash player

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html#fp11

but to me the error with playing flv audio files persist.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 7:29 AM   in reply to eric1107856

Updated too, didn't do anything helpful to rectify my problem either!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 6:38 AM   in reply to ppongsclub

We have the same issue.

The latest updates affects our FLV Audio Recorder customers (http://flvar.com). #

It seems to happen only with Red5. Our online demo of the audio recorder (http://flvar.com/demo/index.html) is connected to a FMIS hosting account on influxis.com and it works just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:46 AM   in reply to ppongsclub

I voted to add back in proper mpeg1 support. That's silly that they did that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to ppongsclub

We also have this problem at poodll.com . But after a lot of testing it seems the flv file recorded by Red5 in the older versions has a problem that previous flash was more tolerant of. When recording with the latest version of Red5 (NOT the precompiled version, you have to download the source and recompile it!!) audio only flv files playback.

So thats a good workaround for many people. But RTMPT in the latest Red5 version seems really unstable, so it may not work for us.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to juztinius

juztinius - Did you compile Red5 off of repository head, release candidate 1.0, or 0.9.1?  Now that you've been running with it a few days, are you still satisfied that it solved the audio playback problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to ron hughes

We compiled off the repository head. We have been running it for a few days on a separate site here in Nagasaki, and it has been working fine. We had an issue yesterday with one machine running 11.2.202.228 on 64 bit Windows 7 where playback failed and flash crashed, but after a reboot playback and flash were working again.

I looked through the Red5 changes since 1.0 RC1 was released and they have indeed done some work on how they write the flv file. So I am guessing thats the reason it works now. But RTMPT is sadly not reliable. So we are considering running two Red5 servers on our public site. One using the version compiled from repository head for RTMP connections and the old 1.0 RC1 for running RTMPT. I wish we had an ETA for the bug fix by Adobe.

We will be doing some more testing, and if any more information comes to light will post back here.

Justin

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to juztinius

Ok we are pretty confident now the version compiled from repository head works.

If you want you can test it over at our demo site, http://demo.poodll.com to see for yourself. (if you have problems, make sure you are using port 1935)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to ppongsclub

FYI I was experiencing the same problem. I installed the Flash Player 11.3 beta and my problem is now resolved.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to mike klem654

Yes, 11.3 beta is working for us as well, playing audio FLVs from red5.

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    May 4, 2012 7:23 AM   in reply to IanRae

11.3 beta plays the audio FLVs. But NetStream events are not triggered properly. NetStream.Play.Complete now fails to ever trigger. Problems persist.... I hope the public releases fixed this.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 1:45 PM   in reply to mediaBrian

Confirmed that the 11.3 beta released today (5/4) does not dispatch the NetStream.Play.Complete event.  The previous 11.3 beta version exhibits the same behavior.  I submitted a bug -- please vote: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3182633

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to ron hughes

sinious,

Community Member

Apr 2, 2012 2:24 PM

A lot of people are having the same issue. I put this on the same level of Adobe screwing up video for Radeons so video was just a flat green color with audio. They never fixed it for my old 4870 x2 nor my 4870 non-x2. I had to disable hardware acceleration to see video. Just google 'flash player green video' and you'll see what a mess flash player can make.

The last thread I asked this question became a debacle, let's see how it goes here. Why are you using a FLV container when you only have audio? Why not just use an audio format? The other thread was absolutely sure that FLV audio was somehow 'better compressed' than mp3. Is this the case here too or do you have some other reason for sticking audio-only in a video container?"

**Any news on this? I'm pretty much spot-on w/ the same issue's. I've been searching the Google's of the world - Not happening ANYWHERE... Thanks!

B

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 9:36 AM   in reply to brendan7979

Reason I use an FLV for audio is pretty simple. I'm an elearning designer / developer and the software I use allows me to convert my audio files automatically in the software i use (Lectora) and utilize cue points to fire off events (such as to have bullets appear in sync with audio). This has worked for years in the past and it was only after the recent Flash player upgrades (inc. the 11.3 beta) that my problems began.

Audio plays partially and fires off events in what seems like once load time is met instead of when it really should. A real problem when you multiple things to keep in sync on a single page.The result is audio cuts-off prematurely and jumps forward etc...

I've tried several "fixes" without any sucess (both things listed here and as well as on the Trivantis Lectroa forum.

The killer is that these were established modules that had been working perfect before users began upgrading their flash player (and we have many modules). From what research I have done it appears the FLV's compressed using older MPEG1 technology are a problem. Modules produced with a later version of the product (that utilized MPEG2) technology seem to work better. For me it's been a bit of a nightmare for weeks now!

BTW rolling back to 8.2 (for testing) did resolve my issues, so something is defiently different in the players ability to process the audio portion in the FLV. In this case newer is not better!

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to ppongsclub

Ok, here is my ugly perl script I used to re-encode my flvs so that they work.  You need to have ffmpeg and ffprobe in your current dir, specify the directory that you want to re-encode, and create a dir 'processedaudio' where it will put the processed files, and also have an image button_blue_play.png in your local directory.  Basically, it makes a video out of the png of a few seconds longer than your audio (I found that necessary, to prevent cutting off), then adds the stream to your .flv. (it skips files that already have a video in them, and writes a list of those to 'videolist.txt')

use File::Copy;

$dir = $ARGV[0];

opendir LOCALDIR, $dir;

@dirlist = readdir LOCALDIR;

close LOCALDIR;

open(VIDEOSFILE,">videolist.txt");

foreach $file (@dirlist) {

if ($file =~ /flv/) {

print "got file $file\n";

$thisfile = $dir . "\\" . $file;

$newfile =  "processedaudio\\"  . $file;

`ffprobe $thisfile 2> test.txt`;

open(INFILE,"test.txt");

$havevideo = "false";

while ($line=<INFILE>)

{

if ($line =~ / Duration:/) {

#print "line $line";

$duration = $line;

$duration =~ s/.*Duration: //g;

$duration =~ s/,.*//g;

@myarray = split(":",$duration);

#print "minutes $myarray[1] seconds $myarray[2]\n";

$durationseconds = $myarray[1] * 60 + $myarray[2] + 6;

}

if ($line =~ / Video:/) {

$havevideo = "true";

}

}

close INFILE;

print "duration $durationseconds\n";

if ($havevideo =~ /false/) {

unlink("tempvideo.mpeg");

`ffmpeg -loop 1 -vframes 60 -r 29.97 -t $durationseconds -i button_blue_play.png -qscale 5 -an tempvideo.mpeg`;

`ffmpeg -i tempvideo.mpeg -i $thisfile -sameq $newfile`;

} else {

print VIDEOSFILE "$thisfile\n";

}

}

}

close VIDEOSFILE;

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...