Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I convert my animation into a working movie clip that can be used with a new scene?

Apr 15, 2012 12:20 PM

Hello all,

First and foremost, I AM A TOTAL FLASH NOOB. I want to preface this and make it incredibly clear how new this all is to me. I LITERALLY started using flash this morning; that is precisely how new I am.

With that being said I am going to do my best to explain what I'd like to do.

I have created an animation of a spider moving its legs back and forth. I want to be able to combine all of the layers into 1 simple animation that can be imported into new flash scenes with the animation exactly how it stands. I have figured out how to convert the whole animation into a symbol AND I have figured out how to import the movie clip from the library. However, herein lies my problem. When I open a new flash scene and import my animation, I play it and it does nothing at all. It's just the static image of the spider I created with no movement.

I've spent the last couple hours trying to figure out (and doing my own research) what I have done or didn't do to get to this point. I'd be willing to bet I am just going about the entire process incorrectly and I'm simple overlooking a basic facet of the program.

Any insight to fix my ignorance is greatly appreciated.

(P.S. Hell, I don't even know if I am using the correct terminology so for all I know I am confusing every person who has taken the time to look at my question. If I am using incorrect terminology please correct me to avoid future hang ups. Thank you.)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 15, 2012 12:24 PM   in reply to MaverickRenegade

Can you show a screenshot (maybe 2)... one of your spider's internal timeline, and one of the scene's timeline with the spider movieclip indicated?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 5:34 PM   in reply to MaverickRenegade

I guess I missed your responding... The first image looks like what I asked for, but the second one I can't tell because the timeline is vut off.  I want to see how you have the movieclip situated in whatever timeline you placed it in.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 6:49 PM   in reply to MaverickRenegade

If what I see is what I asked for, then you should be able to use Control -> Test Movie -> Test ( or Ctrl-Enter ) to see the spider moving.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:50 PM   in reply to MaverickRenegade

Here's a link to something that works as I expect yours should based on what you've shown.  See if you can notice any difference with what you have done as far as placing the movieclip in the timeline.  I just took a simple animated spider movieclip from an old file and placed it in the main timeline of a new file.

http://www.nedwebs.com/Flash/spider.fla

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to MaverickRenegade

To answer the question, there only needs to be a play() control of some sort if your animation has been stopped using a stop(); command, but I don't see any code being used in your file at all.  If you happen to have a stop() command hiding somewhere, that might be the problem.

As for the significance of the animation when you click whatever, I don't see any.  A movieclip symbol is a movieclip symbol.  Mine happens to have graphic symbols for each frame where your does the animation dynamically.  If it is based on using the timeline to animate, which both of ours appear to be, then without a stop command the animation should play on its own when you test the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to MaverickRenegade

I don't think you mentioned that aspect, or I just didn't read it that way.  If your movieclip only contains one frame, then you didn't create it properly.  It should include all of the frames and layers that your first screenshot shows (Which is what I thought you were showing since that's what I asked for).

Here's what you need to do.  First select all of the frames and layers of that timeline that is supposed to be your animation.

Next, right click the selection and choose Copy Frames.

Nex, create a new movieclip symbol using Insert -> New Symbol -> MovieClip

Next, select the one and only keyframe of the timeline inside that new movieclip, right click and choose Paste Frames.  That should now be a properly created version of you animation that you can place in a timeline.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 4:22 PM   in reply to MaverickRenegade

I don't think I even want to begin to look into whatever  a spritesheet converter is.  If it isn't part of the Flash software then you probably want to take your new discussion to whomever created it.  If I've solved the problem you posted about then it'd be great if you mark it as answered.  If you think someone in these forums might be able to help with your spruesheet unetrtaking, you should start a new posting.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points