Skip navigation
BigCPixelbender
Currently Being Moderated

LR 4.1 - Final Release?

Apr 17, 2012 8:15 AM

Any ideas when Adobe will release the fina/retail version of LR 4.1?  Been waiting on this fix for some time.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 17, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to BigCPixelbender

Adobe will release it whenever they see fit. They're not going to tell us in advance, we just have to wait and be patient.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:12 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Unfortunately, LR 4.1 RC was released on March 29, 19 days ago, which seems like an unusually long time to wait for a release candidate to become real and final.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to JK10003

What do you mean by "unfortunately"? What's the rush, especially if issues keep cropping up? 19 days doesn't strike me as a long time at all, especially considering the complexity of new & changed features in LR4. The original LR4 release could certainly have used more time in beta testing as it turns out. I'd much rather see them get it as right as they can rather than rushing another release.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to gatorjim2000

Holding my new Canon 5D Mark III in my hand, waiting to be able to process its raw files with production level software from Adobe, I am inclined to use the word "unfortunately".

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to JK10003

JK10003 wrote:

which seems like an unusually long time to wait for a release candidate to become real and final.

What's unusual is the number of new bugs discovered (or older bugs re-discovered) in LR 4.1 RC, stacking up daily. LR 4.0 has been released much too early. Now we have to wait for the real work to be done. Adobe just got some cash in advance. This is the new way of making software:

- shorter testing cycle

- early release of first official version and cash collection

- real test "in the field" (you customers have become the quality assurance dpt. of Adobe)

- weeks or even months needed to fix bugs hat should have been spotted and fixed before releasing version x.0

- and eventually the real one coming out as x.1

What's bothering me is the high number of customers hit by the "Stockholm syndrome" : we have paid for an unfinished product, we'll have to wait weeks or months to get the major bugs fixed but we love you so much, Adobe, that we promise to be patient, to pay again for the next major release as soon as it is made available and we'll be bashing all those who dare to raise a protest.

Humans are becoming very strange, those days.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Samoreen

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to JK10003

Sorry, I might be missing something since I don't use Canon products anymore. But I found a 5D MarkIII sample RAW file, downloaded it, and imported it into LR4.1RC without any issues. It sure appears like I can work on the RAW image just like any other. What am I missing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:53 PM   in reply to gatorjim2000

Thanks for making that effort, but my issue isn't exactly technical.  The solution is available, if I want to install beta software, but in this circumstance, I am reluctant, and would prefer to wait for a production release.  I just wish it were coming faster, strange human that I am.  :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to Samoreen

Samoreen wrote:

What's unusual is the number of new bugs discovered (or older bugs re-discovered) in LR 4.1 RC, stacking up daily. LR 4.0 has been released much too early. Now we have to wait for the real work to be done.

What's bothering me is the high number of customers hit by the "Stockholm syndrome" : we have paid for an unfinished product, we'll have to wait weeks or months to get the major bugs fixed but we love you so much, Adobe, that we promise to be patient, to pay again for the next major release as soon as it is made available and we'll be bashing all those who dare to raise a protest.

Can't disagree with your comment about bugs based on the forums activity. Which is why I am not in a rush for another premature release.

But I disagree with your other point. Thanks to beta versions, trial offerings, and the RC, I have NOT paid Adobe anything yet for LR4, and won't until I'm satisified it can do what I need it to do. LR3.6 is running just fine, thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 3:09 PM   in reply to Samoreen

Samoreen wrote:

lol... yes that is a valid point.

but then if you want near perfect software products you might have to wait 5 years for a new release.
    and even then you have to use hardware and software that is certified for use.

Can't disagree with your comment about bugs based on the forums activity. Which is why I am not in a rush for another premature release

a support forum always shows the worst case.. because people normaly don´t come here to praise a product.
    so a few positiv words can do no harm.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to JK10003

JK10003 wrote:

Unfortunately, LR 4.1 RC was released on March 29, 19 days ago, which seems like an unusually long time to wait for a release candidate to become real and final.

LR4 was released March 5.  There are typically 4 releases per year.  Thus, it would be reasonable to expect 4.1 around June 5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to Lee Jay

yes but the quick update to 4.1 is an indication that v4 had critical bugs (point curves, edit in etc.).

4.1 was not a usual update.

• Point Curve adjustments made in Lightroom 3 and before have been restored.
    • Lightroom 4 did not properly open external applications when using the “Edit In” functionality.
    • Addressed performance issues in Lightroom 4, particularly when loading GPS track logs, using a secondary monitor, and the controls within the Develop module.
    • Ability to update DNG previews and metadata for more than 100 photos has been restored.
    • This update allows for improved viewing of subfolders and stacks in folders with a large number of photos.
    • It was possible that a layout of a saved book could be lost after quitting Lightroom 4.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

4.1 RC was not a usual update, but it's not 4.1 final.  It's not really an RC as the team has announced they are still working on more fixes, it's just much more thoroughly tested than a Beta.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to Lee Jay

Also, I don't think anyone should rule out the possibility of an RC2...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 1:53 AM   in reply to BigCPixelbender

Problem with Lightroom is that adobe is mixing bugfixes and compatibility updates. Owning the 5DM3, I would really love to import and process my images. I could do in the RC, but don't wana work on a beta version. If I would know that I have to wait for another 2 months for the final version I would probably do. But without any information I feel somewhat left alone.

So please adobe, can't you just release a small update for the new Canon camera and then take more time to solve all the other software issues you have on your plate? Other companies are able to do so as well :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:12 AM   in reply to cavlabs

It's a Release Candidate, not a Beta.

Other than a Beta, on a RC usually only severe bugs that arise will be changed. Otherwise the release is extremely similar to the RC.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:22 AM   in reply to F. McLion

I would agree in theory. But it's more than 2 weeks now, which means there is some serious work going on in the background. There are no intermediate releases, no fixes delivered, no second RC. And thats what makes me think that I should not use the RC.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:50 AM   in reply to cavlabs

enjoy the bugfixed DPP then.. it finally works fine with the 5D MK3. 

you don´t want to use a RC but you want adobe to release a rushed camera support update?

really that does not make much sense. 

beside that, with all the camera release (5D MK3 is not the only new camera) you have to have some strategy for releases.

it´s not like some shareware companys with 3 employees who can spit out new versions every 3 days.

cavlabs wrote:

Other companies are able to do so as well :-)

which?

afaik ... DXO, Capture One, Silkypix.. do not support the 5D MK3 yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:53 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

Don't like DPP, but start concidering it ;-)

The 5DM3 comes with some updated raw format, I don't think it requires rewriting the software for it. Apple released the RAW support for the 5DM3 already a while ago and it just works. They don't couple functionality and format support. Same for DxO, they already support it. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 2:55 AM   in reply to cavlabs

i just checked their website (DXO) i don´t see the 5D MK3 in the list of supported cameras.

do you have a link?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 3:04 AM   in reply to -Agfaclack-

http://dxo.com/uk/photo/dxo_optics_pro/for_your_equipment

Just select the 5DM3. Not all functionality is there yet, but lots.

Just tried it and it doesn't work. Images are displayed in the film strip, but the mail window states that it's not supported. So forget about DxO.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 3:09 AM   in reply to cavlabs

cavlabs wrote:

http://dxo.com/uk/photo/dxo_optics_pro/for_your_equipment

Just select the 5DM3. Not all functionality is there yet, but lots.

so it´s kind of supported....

well at least if you want to output to 8bit jpg or 8bit tiff.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points